What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (2 Viewers)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
shoeshineboy said:
Has anyone bought Stanley? Normally, I'd jump at this as the price is good and the description is intriguing (despite not being a big Buddy fan).... However blind buys are less and less an option these days. Is it any good? Was it any good?
I bought "Buddy Hackett as Stanley" and it arrived yesterday. It consists of 3 real factory pressed DVD's with nice packaging . They are kinescopes but very good quality - some restoration may have been done . Episodes appear to be complete, some have original commercials . I only watched a couple of episodes so far but I enjoyed it. I watched this show each week as a child because as a 7 yer old I thought Buddy hacket was hysterical. . But if you don't like Hackett I'm not sure if you'll like it - he is after all the main character.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Mike*HTF said:
I read in another review here at HTF there were watermarks on the image.
How intrusive are they?
Yes, there are watermarks of a Hirschfeld Buddy Hackett caricature on the lower left hand side of the screen . For me, they weren't too bad - I forgot about it pretty quickly as I got involved with the episodes. But they are large enough that they may bother some. For me , just being able to see this show again is a miracle , so I try not to let things like the watermarks bother me .

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Mike*HTF said:
I read in another review here at HTF there were watermarks on the image.
How intrusive are they?
I can echo what Lou said. I just received my set yesterday and watched an episode. The watermark/logo is pretty ridiculous, but not big enough to overly distract me from enjoying the episode.

Gary "I think I'll enjoy this series" O.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
LouA said:
I bought "Buddy Hackett as Stanley" and it arrived yesterday. It consists of 3 real factory pressed DVD's with nice packaging . They are kinescopes but very good quality - some restoration may have been done . Episodes appear to be complete, some have original commercials . I only watched a couple of episodes so far but I enjoyed it. I watched this show each week as a child because as a 7 yer old I thought Buddy hacket was hysterical. . But if you don't like Hackett I'm not sure if you'll like it - he is after all the main character.
Where can I order this from? Couldn't find it on Amazon.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
silverking said:
'West Poin't & 'The Lawbreakers' - I'm considering ordering these two items as a 'blind buy', never having seen (or actually heard) of either of them. Anyone remember them or know if they are worthwhile ? I checked IMDB but info there is very sketchy. I did hear that 'Lawbreakers' recreated true crime events & uses the actual victims or cops rather than established performers.. Consequently it comes across as very amateurish with inept & clumsy acting & unintentionally funny. Any opinions anyone ? Chris
Much like Rescue 911!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Richard V said:
Where can I order this from? Couldn't find it on Amazon.
Here's the Amazon link but be aware that it's only available from a MP vendor that doesn't appear to be the official site/vendor. As it's only a couple of $$ less expensive it's a deal breaker for me.

My cost from the official site is $31.75 compared to $29.97 from the MP vendor (YMMV depending on state and sales tax). I'm always a bit torn with stuff like this. I *really* prefer to order from the "official" site but if a MP vendor is only a couple of $$ more (before shipping) you tend to think they're getting a better price or they're losing money on every sale. I don't begrudge anyone making a profit but it seems that almost every "manufacturer/distributor" site charges full MSRP. You'd think it would be less expensive from them. While I'd much rather purchase this from Amazon (not a MP vendor) I'll be getting it from the official site once funds loosen up a bit.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Still awaiting news on Dr. Kildare, the one and only thing I'm really dying for that's been mentioned as coming at some point. I would have some interest in The Dakotas if it were released, but that's about it from Warner Brothers specifically. Now, if we are talking about other MGM properties (like Kildare) then it's a different story. There are several b/w series I'd jump on in that case.

Gary "as always, I am happy for fans of Sugarfoot and anything else vintage that is released - enjoy" O.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Gary, there was a blurb on TVShowsOnDVD not long ago that a release date for Dr. Kildare was imminent.
Gary OS said:
Still awaiting news on Dr. Kildare, the one and only thing I'm really dying for that's been mentioned as coming at some point. I would have some interest in The Dakotas if it were released, but that's about it from Warner Brothers specifically. Now, if we are talking about other MGM properties (like Kildare) then it's a different story. There are several b/w series I'd jump on in that case.

Gary "as always, I am happy for fans of Sugarfoot and anything else vintage that is released - enjoy" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Richard V said:
Gary, there was a blurb on TVShowsOnDVD not long ago that a release date for Dr. Kildare was imminent.

Right. That bit of news was what I was referring to with my "been mentioned as coming at some point" comment. Hopefully we'll hear something official soon.

Gary "after Dr. Kildare is released there will only be one b/w series left that's a holy grail for me - Ozzie & Harriet season sets" O.

Lee Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee F. Smith
Received the 1st season of Tombstone Territory yesterday and have watched a few episodes. Pretty good quality.

I remember watching this when it was first broadcast so it will be fun strolling down memory lane.

There are 39 episodes for Season 1 although some sites like IMDB says that there are 40 episodes for this season.
They are wrong as one episode is listed as two different episodes. 'The Epitaph' & 'Outlaw Bugle' are the same episode.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for the brief review. Will be ordering this soon, along with the soon to be released Restless Gunn and Stoney Burke.
Lee Smith said:
Received the 1st season of Tombstone Territory yesterday and have watched a few episodes. Pretty good quality.

I remember watching this when it was first broadcast so it will be fun strolling down memory lane.

There are 39 episodes for Season 1 although some sites like IMDB says that there are 40 episodes for this season.
They are wrong as one episode is listed as two different episodes. 'The Epitaph' & 'Outlaw Bugle' are the same episode.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just placed an order for The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis Complete Series at Amazon! It's going to be tough waiting until July to get this! At least there's Maverick S2 later this month to help with the waiting...

With the Lone Ranger full series set coming that leaves but one Holy Grail series left for me in the B/W era, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriett. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm *through* purchasing B/W series just that the ones I will 100% pre-order (if the price is "reasonable") are almost done. Every time I think I've purchased all the B/W series I'll want one of you guys mentions another interesting program I've forgotten or never heard of and the list will grow again! :D

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
BobO'Link said:
I just placed an order for The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis Complete Series at Amazon! It's going to be tough waiting until July to get this! At least there's Maverick S2 later this month to help with the waiting...

With the Lone Ranger full series set coming that leaves but one Holy Grail series left for me in the B/W era, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriett. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm *through* purchasing B/W series just that the ones I will 100% pre-order (if the price is "reasonable") are almost done. Every time I think I've purchased all the B/W series I'll want one of you guys mentions another interesting program I've forgotten or never heard of and the list will grow again! :D
We think alike, Howie (you should be very scared after reading that). :P

Gary "in all seriousness I do see it the same way and, like you, I'm waiting on Ozzie & Harriet as my last 'holy grail' series that needs releasing" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The Jack Benny announcement will be my first new B/W release for tihs year. Burns And Allen is now the last B/W sitcom for me to not have true official DVD representation.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
2013 has been pretty good to me thus far. I've added quite a few b/w sets to my collection since the beginning of the year, and plan on adding many more before it's all said and done. Not sure if Jack Benny will be one or not though. It's very low on my priority list, especially with knowing the 3rd and 4th quarter will offer quite a few more goodies.

Gary "appropriate that this is my 4,000th post here at HTF - in the b/w thread" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
For ongoing titles I'll be getting "Maverick" S2 and HGWT S6. At some point I need to finish "Untouchables" but I'm in no rush (probably after HGWT is finished). Still haven't gotten Gunsmoke S7 because I'm reluctant to plunge into the hour long shows at this point.

The report that we'll likely see season sets and the whole run of "Naked City" eventually is so far the biggest news of the year for me B/W wise next to the Benny Show. But if another year goes by without S2 of "Burke's Law" the year will still be unfufilling alas.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I've already got the Gunsmoke b/w hour long eps from Encore, but I hear these new releases look absolutely fantastic so way down the road I'd consider picking them up (if the price drops enough). I'm a long ways off from Jack's demeanor about the remainder of the year though. I'm keen on the following things that have either been explicitly stated as coming or at least hinted at:

Restless Gun
Have Gun, Will Travel S6
Tombstone Territory
Rawhide S6, S7
Gene Autry Show S5
Stoney Burke
Dobie Gillis
Lone Ranger
Dr. Kildare
Perry Mason
Ozzie & Harriet (not holding my breath for a 2013 release, but I'm still listing it because it has been mentioned)
Rifleman (same as above)
Naked City season sets
Other Assorted Timeless Goodies

Gary "2013 has been a solid year thus far for me" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks