Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I bought "Buddy Hackett as Stanley" and it arrived yesterday. It consists of 3 real factory pressed DVD's with nice packaging . They are kinescopes but very good quality - some restoration may have been done . Episodes appear to be complete, some have original commercials . I only watched a couple of episodes so far but I enjoyed it. I watched this show each week as a child because as a 7 yer old I thought Buddy hacket was hysterical. . But if you don't like Hackett I'm not sure if you'll like it - he is after all the main character.

2. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

I read in another review here at HTF there were watermarks on the image.
    How intrusive are they?

3. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Yes, there are watermarks of a Hirschfeld Buddy Hackett caricature on the lower left hand side of the screen . For me, they weren't too bad - I forgot about it pretty quickly as I got involved with the episodes. But they are large enough that they may bother some. For me , just being able to see this show again is a miracle , so I try not to let things like the watermarks bother me .

4. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I can echo what Lou said. I just received my set yesterday and watched an episode. The watermark/logo is pretty ridiculous, but not big enough to overly distract me from enjoying the episode.

Gary "I think I'll enjoy this series" O.

5. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Where can I order this from? Couldn't find it on Amazon.

6. Sky Captain

Sky Captain Second Unit

Neville Ross
    Much like Rescue 911!

7. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    buddyhackett.tv/buddy-hackett-as-stanley-dvd/

8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Here's the Amazon link but be aware that it's only available from a MP vendor that doesn't appear to be the official site/vendor. As it's only a couple of $$ less expensive it's a deal breaker for me.

My cost from the official site is $31.75 compared to $29.97 from the MP vendor (YMMV depending on state and sales tax). I'm always a bit torn with stuff like this. I *really* prefer to order from the "official" site but if a MP vendor is only a couple of $$ more (before shipping) you tend to think they're getting a better price or they're losing money on every sale. I don't begrudge anyone making a profit but it seems that almost every "manufacturer/distributor" site charges full MSRP. You'd think it would be less expensive from them. While I'd much rather purchase this from Amazon (not a MP vendor) I'll be getting it from the official site once funds loosen up a bit.

9. Richard V

Richard
    Sugarfoot is coming!!! Yippe Kay Ayyyy, Mr. Falcon.

10. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Still awaiting news on Dr. Kildare, the one and only thing I'm really dying for that's been mentioned as coming at some point. I would have some interest in The Dakotas if it were released, but that's about it from Warner Brothers specifically. Now, if we are talking about other MGM properties (like Kildare) then it's a different story. There are several b/w series I'd jump on in that case.

Gary "as always, I am happy for fans of Sugarfoot and anything else vintage that is released - enjoy" O.

11. Richard V

Richard
    Gary, there was a blurb on TVShowsOnDVD not long ago that a release date for Dr. Kildare was imminent.

12. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Right. That bit of news was what I was referring to with my "been mentioned as coming at some point" comment. Hopefully we'll hear something official soon.

Gary "after Dr. Kildare is released there will only be one b/w series left that's a holy grail for me - Ozzie & Harriet season sets" O.

13. Lee Smith

Lee Smith Stunt Coordinator

Lee F. Smith
    Received the 1st season of Tombstone Territory yesterday and have watched a few episodes. Pretty good quality.

I remember watching this when it was first broadcast so it will be fun strolling down memory lane.

There are 39 episodes for Season 1 although some sites like IMDB says that there are 40 episodes for this season.
    They are wrong as one episode is listed as two different episodes. 'The Epitaph' & 'Outlaw Bugle' are the same episode.

14. Richard V

Richard
    Thanks for the brief review. Will be ordering this soon, along with the soon to be released Restless Gunn and Stoney Burke.

15. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I just placed an order for The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis Complete Series at Amazon! It's going to be tough waiting until July to get this! At least there's Maverick S2 later this month to help with the waiting...

With the Lone Ranger full series set coming that leaves but one Holy Grail series left for me in the B/W era, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriett. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm *through* purchasing B/W series just that the ones I will 100% pre-order (if the price is "reasonable") are almost done. Every time I think I've purchased all the B/W series I'll want one of you guys mentions another interesting program I've forgotten or never heard of and the list will grow again! :D

16. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    We think alike, Howie (you should be very scared after reading that). :P

Gary "in all seriousness I do see it the same way and, like you, I'm waiting on Ozzie & Harriet as my last 'holy grail' series that needs releasing" O.

17. Jack P

Jack P Producer

The Jack Benny announcement will be my first new B/W release for tihs year. Burns And Allen is now the last B/W sitcom for me to not have true official DVD representation.

18. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    2013 has been pretty good to me thus far. I've added quite a few b/w sets to my collection since the beginning of the year, and plan on adding many more before it's all said and done. Not sure if Jack Benny will be one or not though. It's very low on my priority list, especially with knowing the 3rd and 4th quarter will offer quite a few more goodies.

Gary "appropriate that this is my 4,000th post here at HTF - in the b/w thread" O.

19. Jack P

Jack P Producer

For ongoing titles I'll be getting "Maverick" S2 and HGWT S6. At some point I need to finish "Untouchables" but I'm in no rush (probably after HGWT is finished). Still haven't gotten Gunsmoke S7 because I'm reluctant to plunge into the hour long shows at this point.

The report that we'll likely see season sets and the whole run of "Naked City" eventually is so far the biggest news of the year for me B/W wise next to the Benny Show. But if another year goes by without S2 of "Burke's Law" the year will still be unfufilling alas.

20. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I've already got the Gunsmoke b/w hour long eps from Encore, but I hear these new releases look absolutely fantastic so way down the road I'd consider picking them up (if the price drops enough). I'm a long ways off from Jack's demeanor about the remainder of the year though. I'm keen on the following things that have either been explicitly stated as coming or at least hinted at:

Restless Gun
    Have Gun, Will Travel S6
    Tombstone Territory
    Rawhide S6, S7
    Gene Autry Show S5
    Stoney Burke
    Dobie Gillis
    Lone Ranger
    Dr. Kildare
    Perry Mason
    Ozzie & Harriet (not holding my breath for a 2013 release, but I'm still listing it because it has been mentioned)
    Rifleman (same as above)
    Naked City season sets
    Other Assorted Timeless Goodies

Gary "2013 has been a solid year thus far for me" O.

Steve...O likes this.