What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (3 Viewers)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I believe CBS's color efforts were slowed down by their pursuit of a color TV technology that would have been incompatible with black and white sets. The compatible NBC technology was obviously going to win that format war, and it delayed CBS's full participation in the early days of regular color programming.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
I remeber seeing -on YouTube?- a color version of the first episode of Laramie, in color, when the series itself only went to color in its third season. In the same vein, I know that the pilot of "Lancer' was in black and white, while the series itself -which began in 1967 or 68- was in color.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
For decades, rumors have persisted that the pilot episode of the 1955-56 Irish McCalla "Sheena, Queen of The Jungle" was shot in color but if it was, no color version has ever surfaced (unlike the rest of the series, it had a more recognizable guest cast in John Banner and Robert Shayne). I also read that one episode of "Burns And Allen" was filmed in color but it has never been seen again that way. I can often find it frustrating when I see B/W kinescopes of programs that originally aired live or on videotape in a color format. A B/W kinescope of a color show gives off a different kind of look than a kinescope of a live or tape B/W show that often looks poorer by comparison.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Jack P said:
I can often find it frustrating when I see B/W kinescopes of programs that originally aired live or on videotape in a color format. A B/W kinescope of a color show gives off a different kind of look than a kinescope of a live or tape B/W show that often looks poorer by comparison.
What's interesting is, depending on how the kinescope was made, it might be possible to restore the color. The BBC stumbled upon this a few years ago. What they thought was video noise or specks was actually part of the color signal. They've been able to restore several episodes of Doctor Who back to their original color (or close to it).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I wish Kevin Segura's "Livefeed" process that was used on the 1956 Elvis Presley appearances on Ed Sullivan for kinescopes was used more in general because I was astonished at how it came close to literally recreating the original videotape style "Live" look of the broadcast. It's too bad that hasn't caught on in other projects like kinescopes of sports broadcasts or other variety specials.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Jack P said:
I wish Kevin Segura's "Livefeed" process that was used on the 1956 Elvis Presley appearances on Ed Sullivan for kinescopes was used more in general because I was astonished at how it came close to literally recreating the original videotape style "Live" look of the broadcast. It's too bad that hasn't caught on in other projects like kinescopes of sports broadcasts or other variety specials.
Much as I hate it for watching movies if you have any of the newer flat screens with the advanced motion settings you can pretty much achieve that same look. Just turn it off otherwise.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
For decades, rumors have persisted that the pilot episode of the 1955-56 Irish McCalla "Sheena, Queen of The Jungle" was shot in color but if it was, no color version has ever surfaced (unlike the rest of the series, it had a more recognizable guest cast in John Banner and Robert Shayne). I also read that one episode of "Burns And Allen" was filmed in color but it has never been seen again that way. I can often find it frustrating when I see B/W kinescopes of programs that originally aired live or on videotape in a color format. A B/W kinescope of a color show gives off a different kind of look than a kinescope of a live or tape B/W show that often looks poorer by comparison.
The color Sheena pilot isn't a rumor, it exists. I watched it at UCLA a year or two ago. NBC is the king of chucking out or erasing the color tapes and keeping kinescopes. All of the Hullabaloos exist but only 3 in color. They did this with a lot of shows, too many to list here. Amazing that they would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce shows and then look to save money by getting rid of a $300 reel of tape.

S

silverking

jperez said:
I remeber seeing -on YouTube?- a color version of the first episode of Laramie, in color, when the series itself only went to color in its third season. In the same vein, I know that the pilot of "Lancer' was in black and white, while the series itself -which began in 1967 or 68- was in color.
Timeless have the 'Larmie' colour first episode on one of their compilation discs, not on the season sets though.

S

silverking

'West Poin't & 'The Lawbreakers' - I'm considering ordering these two items as a 'blind buy', never having seen (or actually heard) of either of them. Anyone remember them or know if they are worthwhile ? I checked IMDB but info there is very sketchy. I did hear that 'Lawbreakers' recreated true crime events & uses the actual victims or cops rather than established performers.. Consequently it comes across as very amateurish with inept & clumsy acting & unintentionally funny. Any opinions anyone ? Chris

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverking
'West Poin't & 'The Lawbreakers' -
I'm considering ordering these two items as a 'blind buy', never having seen (or actually heard) of either of them.
Anyone remember them or know if they are worthwhile ? I checked IMDB but info there is very sketchy.
I did hear that 'Lawbreakers' recreated true crime events & uses the actual victims or cops rather than established performers..
Consequently it comes across as very amateurish with inept & clumsy acting & unintentionally funny.
Any opinions anyone ?
Chris

Both these will be blind buys for me as well, but I feel confident both will be to my liking. The thing that intrigues me about Lawbreakers is that it was filmed on location most of the time from what I'm told. That alone makes it worthwhile for me. I think - and of course I could be wrong - it will be enjoyable to see that "real life" aspect of these crimes. Anyhow, that's the main reason I'm buying this one. West Point was a must have for me the day it was announced simply because it has a Christmas episode.
Gary "you may be right about the acting - but I'm willing to take that chance" O.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
silverking said:
'West Poin't & 'The Lawbreakers' - I'm considering ordering these two items as a 'blind buy', never having seen (or actually heard) of either of them. Anyone remember them or know if they are worthwhile ? I checked IMDB but info there is very sketchy. I did hear that 'Lawbreakers' recreated true crime events & uses the actual victims or cops rather than established performers.. Consequently it comes across as very amateurish with inept & clumsy acting & unintentionally funny. Any opinions anyone ? Chris
Both will be blind buys for me as well, West Point, because from what I've read, has a very good guest starring cast. Lawbreakers, because Lee Marvin hosts the show, and anything he was involved in, is a definite plus in my book.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Neil Brock said:
The color Sheena pilot isn't a rumor, it exists. I watched it at UCLA a year or two ago.
All the more reason for me to be frustrated that no one is there who has the finances to do for Sheena on DVD, what's been done for Steve Canyon. The show was iconic for its time and unfortunately its never gotten enough credit in that area. The recent Pionners of TV didn't accurately note that McCalla was the first true superheroine on TV long before Lynda Carter.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
David Weicker said:
What's interesting is, depending on how the kinescope was made, it might be possible to restore the color. The BBC stumbled upon this a few years ago. What they thought was video noise or specks was actually part of the color signal. They've been able to restore several episodes of Doctor Who back to their original color (or close to it).
From my limited understanding of the process it can only be done for kinescopes made in PAL. It has to do with the way color (or colour, if you will) information is transmitted - just enough of the information gets caught on the edge of the kinescope film. I've never heard of color recovery from an NTSC kinescope but perhaps it will be possible in the future.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Speaking of b&w TV on DVD, I noticed that Best Buy has box sets of "Perry Mason" Season One for $17.99 each (parts 1 & 2). It's been years since I've seen any episodes (TBS used to run it back in the early 1990s) and I'm curious to know which seasons are considered the best, if anyone here has opinions on that. Thanks.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Vic Pardo said:
Speaking of b&w TV on DVD, I noticed that Best Buy has box sets of "Perry Mason" Season One for $17.99 each (parts 1 & 2). It's been years since I've seen any episodes (TBS used to run it back in the early 1990s) and I'm curious to know which seasons are considered the best, if anyone here has opinions on that. Thanks.
I think there are probably several Perry Mason threads available. Try the search feature.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vic Pardo said:
They are all quite good. I personally like the first few seasons the best as Perry, Della, and Paul are all a bit younger. You can't go wrong with the first season at such a price.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Vic Pardo said:
After reading this a couple of times I'm a bit confused. Are you saying the *full* first season (both parts in the same package) is $17.99 *or* S1V1 and S1V2 are $17.99 each? If the latter, check Amazon before making a purchase. Currently those 2 are $16.93 each and as MattH indicated they've been lower with a $10.08 price each in August 2012.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks