What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
Hey Pat , I believe Neil is referring to the Ziv show. I have the British Target from the 70’s and it’s 60 minutes in length.
Would love to get the BBC Target series. Wish it would get a release. Patrick Mower is on fire as a detective out to out-Sweeney The Sweeney.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I put my order in...from a guy who converts Blue Ray to DVD. Warner didn't want my money but he's happy to take it and give me a format I can play.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
In case you missed it, we posted the following on our RARE TV thread yesterday...

We're happy to share news today of an upcoming RARE TV release of the 1952 Twilight Zone-esque suspense series THE UNEXEPCTED (1952).

The half-hour series ran one season for a total of 39 episodes. We have scanned the first 13 episodes (all from 16mm) and plan to release them in Volume 1 on DVD early next year.

Many well-known guest stars appear in this rarely seen anthology series including Raymond Burr, Gale Storm, Craig Stevens, Marshall Thompson, Hans Conried, Marie Windsor, Anthony Caruso, Marjorie Reynolds, Jim Davis, Coleen Gray, Dan O'Herlihy, Bobby Driscoll, Kenneth Tobey, John Hoyt, Rochelle Hudson, Paul Guilfoyle, Paula Raymond, Dan Seymour, Lois Collier, Michael Ansara, and many, many more.

Below is a raw scan from an episode entitled "Born Again" starring Billy Halop.

NOTE: Although contemporary press accounts and current websites list Herbert Marshall as the host of this program, his presence is absent from the 16mm prints we've acquired.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

Last edited:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
In case you missed it, we posted the following on our RARE TV thread yesterday...

We're happy to share news today of an upcoming RARE TV release of the 1952 Twilight Zone-esque suspense series THE UNEXEPCTED (1952).

The half-hour series ran one season for a total of 39 episodes. We have scanned the first 13 episodes (all from 16mm) and plan to release them in Volume 1 on DVD early next year.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

Thanks, David!!!

Gary “good to know what’s coming soon” O.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Great news about "The Unexpected!" Looking over the guest casts I see a particularly impressive number of veteran actresses from Hollywood's earlier heydays, like Mary Brian, Gertrude Michael, Rochelle Hudson (as mentioned), Isabel Jewell, Virginia Grey, and such. Always under the impression that this was a particularly rare series. I'll be jumping on this the moment it's released!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
You're welcome Neal. Haven't been able to find any other information but maybe he's financing the release himself.
It appears that way Alan. I came up empty as well but here's a few things I learned. Pat Boone recently turned 90 years of age on June 1st. Pat Boone's website which gives us an idea of the depth of the performances on The Pat Boone-Chevy Showroom which aired for 68 episodes between 1957-1960.

"Many of Boone's guests were Rock 'n Roll singers, such as Bobby Rydell, Fabian, and Connie Francis, but Country and Western stars Fed Foley, Roy Rogers, and The Sons of the Pioneers also performed. Boone also invited numerous African American singers to his program, including Pearl Bailey, Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, Johnny Mathis and The Mills Brothers."

"Other guests included Edie Adams, Eddie Albert, Steve Allen, Don Ameche, The Ames Brothers, Frankie Avalon, Gertrude Berg, Tony Bennett, Polly Bergen, Teresa Brewer, Edd Byrnes, Pat Carroll, Jeannie Carson, Jackie Copper, Gary Crosby, Danny & The Juniors, Jimmy Dean, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Celeste Holm, Rocky Graziano, Tab Hunter, Stubby Kaye, Steve Lawrence, Peggy Lee, Shari Lewis, Gina Lollobrigida, Gordon MacRae, Gisele MacKenzie, The McGuire Sisters, Dick Van Dyke, Julius LaRosa, Louis Nye, Maureen O'Hara, Janis Paige, Cliff Richard, Ginger Rogers, George Shearing, Dinah Shore, Jo Stafford, Gale Storm, Mel Tormé, and David Wayne."

Also about his meeting with Harry Belafonte and why he quit his show here.

The only two full episodes of the show I could find.

S01E20 Episode #1.20 (Feb.13.1958) Guests Jimmy Dean Gina Lollobrigida.

S01E10 Episode #1.10 (Dec.05.1957) Christmas episode. Hear that Gary? Guests Farfel The Fontane Sisters Stubby Kaye Jimmy Nelson Danny O'Day Imelda De Martin

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Just announced by ViaVision in Australia, the rare black-and-white, 30 episode ITC series Seaway (1965-1966), due for release in early October. Here is the link to the ViaVision page.

Seaway-The-Complete-Series-copy.jpg

Don't know much about this series, but judging from what little I've seen, it seems to be an interesting show, a mix of espionage and crime drama. Some impressive guest stars appeared on the show, too, including Harold J. Stone, Lynda Day George, Rita Moreno, Ralph Bellamy, Gary Lockwood, Nehemiah Persoff, Edward Binns, Herschel Bernardi, J.D. Cannon, Albert Dekker, Diana van der Vlis, Jeremy Slate, Murray Hamilton, Ralph Meeker, Pilar Seurat, Richard Thomas, Barry Morse, Susan Clark, Vincent Gardenia and Faye Dunaway.

Quite a few of episodes are available on YouTube in very watchable condition

Here's episode 1:

Last edited:

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Just announced by ViaVision in Australia, the rare black-and-white, 30 episode ITC series Seaway (1965-1966), due for release in early October. Here is the link to the ViaVision page.

Don't know much about this series, but judging from what little I've seen, it seems to be an interesting show, a mix of espionage and crime drama. Some impressive guest stars appeared on the show, too, including Harold J. Stone, Lynda Day George, Rita Moreno, Ralph Bellamy, Gary Lockwood, Nehemiah Persoff, Edward Binns, Herschel Bernardi, J.D. Cannon, Albert Dekker, Diana van der Vlis, Jeremy Slate, Murray Hamilton, Ralph Meeker, Pilar Seurat, Richard Thomas, Barry Morse, Susan Clark, Vincent Gardenia and Faye Dunaway.

Here's episode 1:

Thanks for the heads up Jeff. I have seen about 10 episodes of Seaway and it is a very pleasant show. And as you mentioned, lots of good guest stars. I'll look forward to another b&w ITC series when it comes out in October. I also noticed that Via Vision had just released Whiplash starring Peter Graves. I already have the Timeless release of that series, but it's very cool that someone is releasing stuff like that.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall

Thanks Jeff for this news! I'll be getting Seaway at some point for sure! And I see that a feature-length color theatrical version (Don't Forget to Wipe the Blood Off) of the final two-part episode, Gunpowder and Paint, is included as a bonus! Much like ITC's experiment with color for Danger Man/Secret Agent.

Seaway does remind you of similar themed cop shows like Waterfront, Harbor Command, Harbormaster and others, and plays like a cross between Route 66 and those earlier shows, with loads of Lake Ontario/Lake Erie location filming from Toronto to Windsor and across to Cleveland and Detroit, etc., the Thousand Islands.

The St. Lawrence Seaway was a real point of pride for Canadians back then (thus this being a CBC/ITC co-production). And a big boost to inland waterway trade off the North Atlantic for the United States too. A big deal when it was opened officially in 1959, with Queen Elizabeth II, President Eisenhower and PM Diefenbaker sailing through the huge new locks on the Royal Yacht Britannia. And you see the then earlier infrastructure of shipping and berthing cargo cranes just as everything was about to be upscaled by the revolution of sea containers and much bigger container ships.

I'm thrilled at how active ViaVision/Imprint are, but it really is even more amazing and admirable considering their relatively small market base as an Australian company. Clearly, their business model is calculated to world wide sales with region-free limited editions. God Bless them as spiritual inheritors of the great Network-On-Air legacy!

Last edited:

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen

Here's episode 1:

Thanks Jeff for the heads up and the video! Looks like it could be a fun show. If this is like a Canadian Harbor Command I'm in. Not sure if I've seen Stephen Young before, but he looks like James Coburn's less cranky cousin. Impressive U.S. guest star list for sure, which seems unusual for an ITC production.
Thanks Jeff for this news! I'll be getting Seaway at some point for sure! And I see that a feature-length color theatrical version (Don't Forget to Wipe the Blood Off) of the final two-part episode, Gunpowder and Paint, is included as a bonus! Much like ITC's experiment with color for Danger Man/Secret Agent.

Seaway does remind you of similar themed cop shows like Waterfront, Harbor Command, Harbormaster and others, and plays like a cross between Route 66 and those earlier shows, with loads of Lake Ontario/Lake Erie location filming from Toronto to Windsor and across to Cleveland and Detroit, etc., the Thousand Islands.

The St. Lawrence Seaway was a real point of pride for Canadians back then (thus this being a CBC/ITC co-production). And a big boost to inland waterway trade off the North Atlantic for the United States too. A big deal when it was opened officially in 1959, with Queen Elizabeth II, President Eisenhower and PM Diefenbaker sailing through the huge new locks on the Royal Yacht Britannia.
If I may draw on your Canadian geographic expertise, what is the location of the old stone fort that appears from about 16:28 in the Episode 1 video above? Looks like it would be fun to visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hebecz
Recent bookmarks