What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
We think the same, Lou! Other than ES-WS, I’d love to see all those series you mentioned released!

Gary “not sure Shout is interested in older, b&w TV anymore” O.
Having read many of your posts, not only on this thread you started but others, I agree. An honor, to be of the same mind as an early advocate for Classic TV on DVD.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
We think the same, Lou! Other than ES-WS, I’d love to see all those series you mentioned released!

Or even in older, color television.
SF hasn’t been interested in B&W TV in a while, but you never know. They need product to release and if something interesting came along they might give us a show or two!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

if that's the case with Kino, all these may fall into the dark valley of Mill Creek!!! Noooooooooooo!!!!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
You would think Mill Creek would realize they would attract more sales with better products. Aficionados buy most old TV and we try to avoid MC!

Mill Creek likely knows very well their stuff is garbage. Their conduct over the past decade of disc decline, is indicative they simply don't care anymore.

There is likely enough "non-aficionados" buying their dvd/bluray releases, that they can "flip the bird" (figuratively) to the aficionados. Otherwise they would have changed their ways already.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
In general, at least for their BR releases, I find Mill Creek product to be quite good. I own several of their BR releases - all of which look and sound better than the DVDs of the same series. They're *not* perfect as they fail to put either CC or SDH on most of their releases and often will use cases where at least 2 discs are stacked on a single spindle.

Here are the Mill Creak BR releases of which I currently own a copy:
Charlie's Angels - Haven't watched this one yet. Reviews are generally good.
Eureka - Haven't watched yet though have read it's a bit grainy/soft for a BR of a newer series.
That 70s Show - Much better than the original DVDs and has all the original music to boot (originally in paperboard sleeves but got an upgrade to standard cases).
Quantum Leap - Also an improvement over the original DVDs (though the transfers they were supplied are not as good as they could have been) with most of the music intact.
Rockford Files - An improvement over the original, flipper (and error prone - I *never* got a copy of the S1 DVDs that work on every episode), DVDs. It also sports the original answering machine messages which were different on each episode.

I also own copies of several of their film collections on BR (Randolph Scott, Rita Hayworth, Hammer Horror) as well as several stand-alone movie releases on BR. All are quite good and look better than the DVD releases of the same films.

The *only* MC *BR* release I've found so far to be not worth a purchase is their recent I Dream of Jeannie - it is horrible with several major issues. And, frankly, I blame them more on Sony than MC as MC simply uses what they've been given. Unlike other distributors, they just transfer the prints they've been given and do a release - AFAIK, no clean up of any kind is done for any of their releases.

Until that IDoJ release I never hesitated to pick up something they released, even on release day. That one is such a huge mess that I'm now a bit gun-shy and will wait for reviews before purchasing any of their product.

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
In general, at least for their BR releases, I find Mill Creek product to be quite good. I own several of their BR releases - all of which look and sound better than the DVDs of the same series. They're *not* perfect as they fail to put either CC or SDH on most of their releases and often will use cases where at least 2 discs are stacked on a single spindle.

Eureka - Haven't watched yet though have read it's a bit grainy/soft for a BR of a newer series.
That 70s Show - Much better than the original DVDs and has all the original music to boot (originally in paperboard sleeves but got an upgrade to standard cases).
Quantum Leap - Also an improvement over the original DVDs (though the transfers they were supplied are not as good as they could have been) with most of the music intact.
Rockford Files - An improvement over the original, flipper (and error prone - I *never* got a copy of the S1 DVDs that's work for every episode), DVDs. It also sports the original answering machine messages which were different on each episode.

I also own copies of several of their film collections on BR (Randolph Scott, Rita Hayworth, Hammer Horror) as well as several stand-alone movie releases on BR. All are quite good and look better than the DVD releases of the same films.

The *only* MC *BR* release I've found so far to be not worth a purchase is their recent I Dream of Jeannie - it is horrible with several major issues. And, frankly, I blame them more on Sony than MC as MC simply uses what they've been given. Unlike other distributors, they just transfer the prints they've been given and do a release - AFAIK, no clean up of any kind is done for any of their releases.

Until that IDoJ release I never hesitated to pick up something they released, even on release day. That one is such a huge mess that I'm now a bit gun-shy and will wait for reviews before purchasing any of their product.
My biggest issue with MC is with the packaging, although my Jack Benny set stopped working.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Did I tell you that the Creek Charlie's Angels Blu does have subtitles?
I've seen that mentioned several times and always forget... IIRC at least one of those other TV sets I own has SDH - but it's been too long and I'd have to play them to know for sure. My recollection of their BR movie releases is *none* have SDH or CC - but I'd have to play them as well to be 100% sure. They're one of the distributors for which I always check but don't expect them to be present.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I've seen that mentioned several times and always forget... IIRC at least one of those other TV sets I own has SDH - but it's been too long and I'd have to play them to know for sure. My recollection of their BR movie releases is *none* have SDH or CC - but I'd have to play them as well to be 100% sure. They're one of the distributors for which I always check but don't expect them to be present.

That's a great point! When Heath of Cereal at Midnight reviewed that Charlie's Angels Blu, he not only touched on the fact that it had subtitles, but also that the packaging was much improved from the Knight Rider and Miami Vice releases, in that each disc had a separate tray in it, unlike the previous two, where two discs would be stacked atop each other.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Mill Creek likely knows very well their stuff is garbage. Their conduct over the past decade of disc decline, is indicative they simply don't care anymore.

There is likely enough "non-aficionados" buying their dvd/bluray releases, that they can "flip the bird" (figuratively) to the aficionados. Otherwise they would have changed their ways already.
Here's the guy to contact!! Jason Mitchell - Video Production Manager @ MC - linkedin.com/in/jason-mitchell-b3457211a

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Rockford Files - An improvement over the original, flipper (and error prone - I *never* got a copy of the S1 DVDs that work on every episode), DVDs. It also sports the original answering machine messages which were different on each episode.

Got Issues? Here's the guy to contact!! Jason Mitchell - Video Production Manager @ MC - linkedin.com/in/jason-mitchell-b3457211a

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
So for anyone who missed Public Defender first time around, Classic Flix is releasing an entire series box set soon.
Pretty good show.
I’m still hoping for news on the early sixties sitcom CF is working on.
I purchased both seasons of the Public Defender when they were first released. Great quality and highly recommended!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
So for anyone who missed Public Defender first time around, Classic Flix is releasing an entire series box set soon.
Pretty good show.
I’m still hoping for news on the early sixties sitcom CF is working on.
Was just coming to post the same... I managed to snag a "returned from the distributor" copy of the OOP S1 of Public Defender during their last sale (along with S2 which is also now OOP). It's a very good series. It's also on sale right now in a "Hal Roach Studios" sale (now through June 14th), along with all of the Little Rascals sets (including a few "returned from the distributor" copies of the OOP Set 1), a few of the "Streamliners," and Blondie (another well done BW series from them).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks