What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (8 Viewers)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Got it! And, YES, I, too, hope whatever it is they release sells very, very, well!

There's an excellent chance I'll purchase a copy, no matter what, simply because I like what they've done so far and have purchased at least one series, Public Defender, I'd never heard of but enjoyed. I'll blind buy just about anything that's vintage BW TV as it's quite interesting to view those histories. I was born a bit too late to watch most 50s TV "as it happened" but have enjoyed just about every series from that decade I've purchased whether I've seen it before or not.

I'm still on-the-fence about their A&C Show BR simply because of Joe Besser's involvement...
If you like the show , it’s a worthy purchase because of the great transfers.
I’m guessing your not a fan of Joe Besser.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
If you like the show , it’s a worthy purchase because of the great transfers.
I’m guessing your not a fan of Joe Besser.
I've never liked Besser or his "Stinky" schtick. I always hated it when one of the Stooge's shorts with him as the 3rd Stooge came on. He was mostly tolerable to me in The Joey Bishop Show as he didn't do that "whiny" act and wasn't on screen that often (or maybe it was lack of that schtick that made me feel it was less often).

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I remember as a kid thinking “how weird is this guy in the funny suit”. Bizarre like Froggy The Gremlin on Andy’s Gang.
But now that I’m an old coot, both are beloved (sort of ) relics of my youth!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I've never liked Besser or his "Stinky" schtick.

I always hated it when one of the Stooge's shorts with him as the 3rd Stooge came on. He was mostly tolerable to me in The Joey Bishop Show as he didn't do that "whiny" act and wasn't on screen that often (or maybe it was lack of that schtick that made me feel it was less often).

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I've never liked Besser or his "Stinky" schtick. I always hated it when one of the Stooge's shorts with him as the 3rd Stooge came on. He was mostly tolerable to me in The Joey Bishop Show as he didn't do that "whiny" act and wasn't on screen that often (or maybe it was lack of that schtick that made me feel it was less often).
Joe Besser occasionally did his "whiny" act on The Joey Bishop Show. For example, there's an episode from season 2, titled "Jillson And The Cinnamon Buns" that focuses mainly on Besser and to me it's a pretty funny episode. Joey Bishop was funny in his sitcom but in a more understated/subdued sort of way, so the series needed a counter-balance and someone zany like Besser to appear occasionally and liven up the proceedings.

Speaking of The Joey Bishop Show, who prefers Guy Marks and who prefers Corbett Monica in the role of Joey's manager? I prefer Corbett Monica. To me, Guy Marks comes off as mostly annoying and overbearing in the role, while Corbett Monica is more likable and he has better acting chemistry with Joey Bishop. The story goes that Joey Bishop dismissed Guy Marks from the show, if the story is true I can understand why Bishop fired him.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Jim Backus Show/Hot Off The Wire is a good suggestion also, I could see Classic Flix releasing this one on DVD.

The show I would most like to have is The Tom Ewell Show, but I would be in for any of the other shows I mentioned as well.
There is an “unofficial” TES DVD set floating around out there , but a complete official set would be welcome.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Joe Besser occasionally did his "whiny" act on The Joey Bishop Show. For example, there's an episode from season 2, titled "Jillson And The Cinnamon Buns" that focuses mainly on Besser and to me it's a pretty funny episode. Joey Bishop was funny in his sitcom but in a more understated/subdued sort of way, so the series needed a counter-balance and someone zany like Besser to appear occasionally and liven up the proceedings.

Speaking of The Joey Bishop Show, who prefers Guy Marks and who prefers Corbett Monica in the role of Joey's manager? I prefer Corbett Monica. To me, Guy Marks comes off as mostly annoying and overbearing in the role, while Corbett Monica is more likable and he has better acting chemistry with Joey Bishop. The story goes that Joey Bishop dismissed Guy Marks from the show, if the story is true I can understand why Bishop fired him.
Right Corbett Monica was a better fit.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
With O & H underway , let’s hope some small company gives us one or two iof those really neglected and overlooked shows;
December Bride -never on home video
People’s Choice-never on home video
Tightrope-never on home video
Trackdown-.never on home video
East Side -West Side never on home video
Original Dragnet never on legit home video
Rin Tin Tin -never on DVD
Lassie - botched releases
Bachelor Father - never on home video.

And a moment of silence fir those shows lost to the Disney/Fox cavern
Life Of Riley Avdventures In Paradise, etc.

Those CBS shows that are victims of stalled CBS neglect: Bonanza , Hillbillies , Miss Brooks , Ben Casey etc.

And the Warner Brothers Shows lost to music clearance issues : 77 Sunset Strip etc.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
With O & H underway , let’s hope some small company gives us one or two iof those really neglected and overlooked shows;

Those CBS shows that are victims of stalled CBS neglect: Bonanza , Hillbillies , Miss Brooks , Ben Casey etc.

And the Warner Brothers Shows lost to music clearance issues : 77 Sunset Strip etc.
Dreamworks CLASSIC MEDIA Jeff's Collie surprised SHOUT hasn't approached them

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

We think the same, Lou! Other than ES-WS, I’d love to see all those series you mentioned released!

Gary “not sure Shout is interested in older, b&w TV anymore” O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks