What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lee
I don't know what early 1960's sitcom ClassicFlix is releasing, but I would be a happy camper if it's one of these:

Pete And Gladys
Tab Hunter Show
Tom Ewell Show
Peter Loves Mary

Peter Loves Mary ran on GetTV a few years ago, I recorded the episodes but I would be in for a complete series DVD set if it was released.

Holiday Lodge and Oh Those Bells are also on my want list, but I think it's unlikely for these to be released on DVD.

Cara Williams Show is a mid 1960's sitcom, not early 1960's, but I would also like to have that series on DVD.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Any of the above would be great but here's some other shows I remember enjoying:

GUESTWARD HO! (1960-61) with Joanne Dru, J. Carrol Naish and Mark Miller
FAIR EXCHANGE (1962-63) with Eddie Foy, Jr., Judy Carne and Lynn Loring.
MANY HAPPY RETURNS ( 1964-65) with John McGiver and Mark Goddard

FAIR EXCHANGE was an unusual series about two WW II vets (Foy & British actor Victor Maddern) swapping their teenage daughters to spend a year in another country. The show started as a 60 minute sitcom and was cancelled. But was brought back in a 30 minute format after a letter-writing campaign caused CBS to resume production.

I'd also like to see some episodes of THE BAILEYS OF BALBOA (1964-65). I know it's considered one of the worst shows of all time but I remember liking it. But I was 14 years old... ! Can a show with a cast of Paul Ford, Sterling Holloway and John Dehner really be that bad?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Happy -Ronnie Burns 1961
Bringing Up Buddy- Frank Aletter 1961
Margie- Cynthia Pepper 1961
All possibles?!!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Any of the above would be great but here's some other shows I remember enjoying:

GUESTWARD HO! (1960-61) with Joanne Dru, J. Carrol Naish and Mark Miller
FAIR EXCHANGE (1962-63) with Eddie Foy, Jr., Judy Carne and Lynn Loring.
MANY HAPPY RETURNS ( 1964-65) with John McGiver and Mark Goddard

FAIR EXCHANGE was an unusual series about two WW II vets (Foy & British actor Victor Maddern) swapping their teenage daughters to spend a year in another country. The show started as a 60 minute sitcom and was cancelled. But was brought back in a 30 minute format after a letter-writing campaign caused CBS to resume production.

I'd also like to see some episodes of THE BAILEYS OF BALBOA (1964-65). I know it's considered one of the worst shows of all time but I remember liking it. But I was 14 years old... ! Can a show with a cast of Paul Ford, Sterling Holloway and John Dehner really be that bad?
Enjoy all of those and would buy!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I’m still hoping for a release for the People’s Choice with Jackie Cooper and Patricia Breslin. The show ran from 1955 to 1958 with 104 episodes filmed. It was popular in reruns for many years.
It’s never been in home video of any kind.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
My B&W want list:
December Bride (CBS, 1954-59)
The Millionaire (CBS, 1955-60)
Trackdown (CBS, 1957-59)
Pete and Gladys (CBS, 1960-62)
Ben Casey (ABC, seasons 2-5, 1962-66)
Breaking Point (ABC, 1963-64)
The Baileys of Balboa (CBS, 1964-65)
The Cara Williams Show (CBS, 1964-65)
The Reporter (CBS, 1964)
Slattery's People (CBS, 1964-65)

~Ben

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lee
Good show, but isn’t that with Warner Archives?
Many Happy Returns was an MGM production, I don't know who the rights holder is currently. It could be Warners because they have previously released DVD's of other MGM produced shows.

Last edited:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
With the announcement a few days back that @ClassicFlix will be releasing Vol 2 of O. Henry Playhouse, as well as the 2nd season of The Abbott & Costello Show, we know which outfit is saving our bacon when it comes to releasing classic TV on DVD/Blu. And since most of us grew up watching the Little Rascals on TV, that's another treat that can be added here.

And don't forget, David has mentioned another early 60's sitcom is coming later this year as well. Here's hoping it's something like Hot off the Wire, The Tab Hunter Show, or My Sister Eileen. But no matter what it is, we know it's going to be good.

Gary "but for ClassicFlix we'd be in bad shape when it comes to b&w TV releases" O.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
With the announcement a few days back that @ClassicFlix will be releasing Vol 2 of O. Henry Playhouse, as well as the 2nd season of The Abbott & Costello Show, we know which outfit is saving our bacon when it comes to releasing classic TV on DVD/Blu. And since most of us grew up watching the Little Rascals on TV, that's another treat that can be added here.

And don't forget, David has mentioned another early 60's sitcom is coming later this year as well. Here's hoping it's something like Hot off the Wire, The Tab Hunter Show, or My Sister Eileen. But no matter what it is, we know it's going to be good.

Gary "but for ClassicFlix we'd be in bad shape when it comes to b&w TV releases" O.
Agree 100 %!
I’ve been buying all of the Rascals and TV Stuff Classic Flix releases.
I’ll be onboard for O’Henry, A&C, that sixties sitcom and anything vintage he releases!
Let’s hope he’s successful enough , that he can begin licensing things like I’m Dickens He’s Fenster, Love That Bob, My Little Margie, Trouble With Father, and yes, my Grail show The People’s Choice!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Agree 100 %!
I’ve been buying all of the Rascals and TV Stuff Classic Flix releases.
I’ll be onboard for O’Henry, A&C, that sixties sitcom and anything vintage he releases!
Let’s hope he’s successful enough , that he can begin licensing things like I’m Dickens He’s Fenster, Love That Bob, My Little Margie, Trouble With Father, and yes, my Grail show The People’s Choice!

I‘d love to see The People’s Choice as well. Very, very high up on my grail list! And as long as we are talking about Jackie Cooper, let’s get Hennesey released as well.

Gary “so many fun things I’d love to see ClassicFlix get a hold of” O.

timk1041

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Timothy
I‘d love to see The People’s Choice as well. Very, very high up on my grail list! And as long as we are talking about Jackie Cooper, let’s get Hennesey released as well.

Me too, Gary. I would love to see them strike a deal with Universal to release those B titles from the 40s that have been mentioned on different threads numerous times. As much as Kino and others have done a great job on classic titles, I don't see them ever releasing Andrew Sisters, Gloria Jean and other rarely seen titles like that. I think Classic Flix would be perfect.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello

Hennessy would be awesome!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Me too, Gary. I would love to see them strike a deal with Universal to release those B titles from the 40s that have been mentioned on different threads numerous times. As much as Kino and others have done a great job on classic titles, I don't see them ever releasing Andrew Sisters, Gloria Jean and other rarely seen titles like that. I think Classic Flix would be perfect.
True! Kino has done a great job , but have
Yes, Kino has done an excellent job with the classics , but they are mostly out now.
I’d love to see obscure films like Mr Cory and Finders Keepers!
I understand they will also be releasing Columbia titles as well. Let’s hope for some obscure films from that company!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello

Some other possibilities, Happy ( Ronnie Burns, Yvonne Lime), Margie ( Cynthia Pepper), McKeever And The Colonel.
Oh Those Bells( Wiere Brothers).

Gary did you get Stagecoach West? Episode 11 is an excellent Christmas Story featuring Dick York.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StreetPreacher
Recent bookmarks