What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

The 1960's

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Neal Rose
Thanks for asking.

For various reasons, but mainly because we're as small company with limited resources and we're paying for the scanning and restoration on these which is not cheap. Also, TV shows are much more expensive to produce than films and more risky with the declining physical media market. Lastly, we've got a lot of money tied up in our Rascals restoration project and it doesn't leave much wiggle room in terms of funding other projects.

There is of course a risk factor involved and if it bombs we won't be releasing Volumes 2 & 3, however, it's a very good show with great stars and expect sales to be good or even great on it.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer
You're welcome and thanks for the quick response.

I want to take a moment to thank you and ClassicFlix for your commitment towards Classic TV on DVD. I've purchased and enjoyed every one of your releases!!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
This isn’t a standalone release as far as I know, but I wanted to mention that after enjoying the movie version of 12 Angry Men over the weekend, last night I decided to watch for the first time the original live television broadcast that was included as a bonus feature on the Criterion disc. The movie is better, but it’s easy to see why the TV version was held in such regard as to earn a movie remake. Great performances all around, and the live aspect of the production added to the realism and tension in the jury room.

Highly recommended if you’ve never seen it!
Thanks for asking.

For various reasons, but mainly because we're as small company with limited resources and we're paying for the scanning and restoration on these which is not cheap. Also, TV shows are much more expensive to produce than films and more risky with the declining physical media market. Lastly, we've got a lot of money tied up in our Rascals restoration project and it doesn't leave much wiggle room in terms of funding other projects.

There is of course a risk factor involved and if it bombs we won't be releasing Volumes 2 & 3, however, it's a very good show with great stars and expect sales to be good or even great on it.

- David
Thanks for asking.

- David
I’ll be ordering. I hope that when your excellent Rascals project is complete , you’ll look into other vintage TV releases.

The 1960's

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Neal Rose
I’ll be ordering. I hope that when your excellent Rascals project is complete , you’ll look into other vintage TV releases.
I almost began posting a wishlist, but then I held back. I think we have enough of those around here and I suspect David has read just about all of them. :)

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
I almost began posting a wishlist, but then I held back. I think we have enough of those around here and I suspect David has read just about all of them. :)
We have contacts with some minor studios, but not with the majors which hold a lot of great unreleased TV shows. We're trying, but as yet they haven't shown interest.

With that said, wish lists are great, but getting in touch with rights holders or individuals who hold materials on PD content is what's most important. Our upcoming O. Henry's Playhouse release is the result of someone letting us know they had the complete series on 16mm.

We also have another never in re-run early 1960s sitcom coming up next year because someone put us in contact with the rights holder of the show.

Know any small rights holders or those with good PD content that has a market? If so, pass them along...

- David

The 1960's

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Neal Rose
We have contacts with some minor studios, but not with the majors which hold a lot of great unreleased TV shows. We're trying, but as yet they haven't shown interest.

With that said, wish lists are great, but getting in touch with rights holders or individuals who hold materials on PD content is what's most important. Our upcoming O. Henry's Playhouse release is the result of someone letting us know they had the complete series on 16mm.

We also have another never in re-run early 1960s sitcom coming up next year because someone put us in contact with the rights holder of the show.

Know any small rights holders or those with good PD content that has a market? If so, pass them along...

- David
Thanks David. That's great news. I wonder what that could be?

I guess I won't post my requests about The Defenders, Ben Casey, Lassie, Jack Benny and on and on and on and on here.

Did I forget any?
icon_e_whistling.gif

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

- David
I've been meaning to ask for some time - Do you have any plans to reprint Public Defender S1? I think I'm about to order S2 (a total blind buy) but the completest in me "needs" to have S1...

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
I've been meaning to ask for some time - Do you have any plans to reprint Public Defender S1? I think I'm about to order S2 (a total blind buy) but the completest in me "needs" to have S1...
Season 1 is out of print, but we just got back 2 copies from our distributor. They are now in stock but once they're gone we're not sure if they're coming back.

The series may come back as a complete series sometime down the road.

- David

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lee

- David
Sounds interesting, hopefully the early 1960's sitcom you are releasing is one that's on my want list.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

- David

I’ll be doing my part, David, by purchasing Vol. 1. I definitely want to see the other two volumes released. Volume two should have the Christmas episode on it, and it would be a shame if you weren’t able to release it.

Gary “long live ClassicFlix” O.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Season 1 is out of print, but we just got back 2 copies from our distributor. They are now in stock but once they're gone we're not sure if they're coming back.

The series may come back as a complete series sometime down the road.

- David
Timing is everything, eh? I just ordered one of those copies of Season 1 and will use it as my "blind buy" test. :)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Could it be said that this hint is hot off the presses? Or something my sister would like?

Gary "can't wait for that news, David - thanks again to ClassicFlix for keeping b&w TV alive" O.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've always felt that first half of I'm Dickens, He's Fenster didn't sell well *because* it was *half* of a rather obscure early 60s TV show. I, somewhat grudgingly, purchased a copy because I really wanted to see it and truly felt that we'd never see that 2nd half. I couldn't see why anyone who wasn't already a fan of the show or had heard of it and wanted to see it would want to purchase *half* of a *single season* show. I also feel the distributors weren't quite honest about their intentions as that half-season is currently OOP and goes for high dollars. If it truly didn't sell well I'd think there'd currently be lots of copies selling for next to nothing.

They still have the original page announcing the "upcoming DVD release" online, though none of the order links now work.

Shortly after I purchased that half season (early in its release) I contacted them inquiring about a possible release date of the second half and never heard a word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StreetPreacher
Recent bookmarks