What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Neal and everyone who loves B+W TV, I just received my copy of MPI's new 3 disc complete series release of Code 3 (1957-58, 39 episodes syndicated)...my screen caps from the new set...
View attachment 104981

Episode 13, The Water Skier...lots of familiar faces, including one who might put the "Touch" on you!
View attachment 104982
View attachment 104983
View attachment 104984
View attachment 104985
View attachment 104986
View attachment 104987
View attachment 104988
View attachment 104989
View attachment 104990
View attachment 104991
View attachment 104992
View attachment 104993 View attachment 104994
View attachment 104995
View attachment 104996
View attachment 104997
View attachment 104998
View attachment 104999

I've previously only seen a few beat-up episodes of Code 3...after watching several more from this great new set, I'm very impressed with the quality of this show, and recommend it highly if you love 1950s Eisenhower era (I Like Ike!) Police Detective shows like Highway Patrol, Dragnet, Sea Hunt, Harbor Command, etc.,...more to come soon with Deforest Kelly, William Boyett, Bing Russell, Denver Pyle and Stacy Keach Sr.,...
Gotta get it!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Code 3 episode 9, The Fishing Trip...a sharply groomed Denver Pyle and Stacy Keach (Sr.) make a great team in a story with a neat twist, investigating some nefarious dealings down at a then-rustic Malibu full of solid, working class Americans...long before the big money gentrification by Hollywood trash moved-in and before several storms shortened the famous pier, ha, ha...good ol' Eisenhower era Americana! With Don 'Red' Barry, Grant Withers, Nan Leslie...Knuckle sandwiches will be served without apology...
Code 3 53.JPG

Code 3 56.JPG
Code 3 57.JPG

Code 3 58.JPG
Code 3 59.JPG
Code 3 62.JPG
Code 3 63.JPG
Code 3 64.JPG

Code 3 65.JPG

Code 3 67.JPG

Code 3 68.JPG

Code 3 69.JPG

Code 3 70.JPG

Code 3 71.JPG

Code 3 72.JPG

Code 3 73.JPG

Code 3 74.JPG

Code 3 75.JPG

Buy this set with confidence!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
MPI Home Video just told me they cut a deal with Randall to promote this release in exchange for a free copy and a lifetime supply of beans n' franks.
Beans and franks for breakfast! And a knuckle sandwich for lunch! I like Ike! Seriously, if I could just escape to what appears to be the otherworldly paradise of Malibu Beach in 1957, I might not ever come back! Oh, and I'd go visit good ol' Jim Rockford, who must still be in jail at this point, and tell him I'll have the trailer waiting for him and Rocky at Paradise Cove when he gets out!

The 1960's

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Neal Rose
Beans and franks for breakfast! And a knuckle sandwich for lunch! I like Ike! Seriously, if I could just escape to what appears to be the otherworldly paradise of Malibu Beach in 1957, I might not ever come back! Oh, and I'd go visit good ol' Jim Rockford, who must still be in jail at this point, and tell him I'll have the trailer waiting for him and Rocky at Paradise Cove when he gets out!
LOL Randall, but no hangin' out with Tod & Buzz and accompany them along Route 66?
On another note, do you all realize that in just about every series you've watched at some point Denver Pyle will make an appearance? Just look at his Filmography. Can anyone name a character actor who has more appearances and in many cases, major roles? My favorite is Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling in Briscoe Declares for Aunt Bee!

How about that Randall? Beans 'n Franks with a Hoot Owl Pie chaser!

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Shout out!
I had an opportunity to see a couple of the restored episodes of the Abbott And Costello Show and they look fantastic .The show is slated for a Blu-ray release later this year by Classic Flix. Great work by Bob Furmanek and his team. Beyond my expectations. If you like A&C , you will love this release, which I think will be the TV release of the year!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This isn’t a standalone release as far as I know, but I wanted to mention that after enjoying the movie version of 12 Angry Men over the weekend, last night I decided to watch for the first time the original live television broadcast that was included as a bonus feature on the Criterion disc. The movie is better, but it’s easy to see why the TV version was held in such regard as to earn a movie remake. Great performances all around, and the live aspect of the production added to the realism and tension in the jury room.

Highly recommended if you’ve never seen it!

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David

The 1960's

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Neal Rose
OHP actually has only 39 episodes in spite of what some sources say.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer
Thank you for the correction David. I see incorrect info on many series at IMDb and in other locations as well.

Can you say why you've chosen to release just 13 episodes in the first volume? Is it because you're testing to see how good it sells?

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Thank you for the correction David. I see incorrect info on many series at IMDb and in other locations as well.

Can you say why you've chosen to release just 13 episodes in the first volume? Is it because you're testing to see how good it sells?
Thanks for asking.

For various reasons, but mainly because we're as small company with limited resources and we're paying for the scanning and restoration on these which is not cheap. Also, TV shows are much more expensive to produce than films and more risky with the declining physical media market. Lastly, we've got a lot of money tied up in our Rascals restoration project and it doesn't leave much wiggle room in terms of funding other projects.

There is of course a risk factor involved and if it bombs we won't be releasing Volumes 2 & 3, however, it's a very good show with great stars and expect sales to be good or even great on it.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StreetPreacher
Recent bookmarks