Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Gary OS

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I wonder if that means any of those shows not digitally remastered will be purposefully destroyed or are simply blocked from release??? I hope not!

~Ben
I imagine many will not be remastered. As best we can tell a big company like CBS/Paramount has yet to go back and remaster multiple seasons of some of their most popular westerns & sitcoms from the late 50’s (HGWT, Rawhide, MTS). If they are going to let those languish, what does that tell you about some of their other, lesser known properties? Will they go so far as to destroy some of them? I would hope it wouldn’t come to that. But who knows for sure.

And I only used CBS as one example. They have actually been one of the better companies at remastering their older material. You can insert any of the large studios into this equation. They have all been guilty of letting many of their older series sit in the basement collecting dust.

Gary “I don’t think there’s any doubt that many of the 50s and 60s TV shows that we all know and love will languish in the vault, un-remastered and potentially fading away into obscurity” O.

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I think the other issue surrounding getting The Cara Williams Show and two other CBS series (The Reporter and The Baileys of Balboa) out on DVD, besides a general decline in buying DVDs, is the scandal surrounding James T. Aubrey, Keefe Brasselle, and the mob...

~Ben

Neil Brock

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I think the other issue surrounding getting The Cara Williams Show and two other CBS series (The Reporter and The Baileys of Balboa) out on DVD, besides a general decline in buying DVDs, is the scandal surrounding James T. Aubrey, Keefe Brasselle, and the mob...

~Ben
The issue is that all of those shows were one season failures (The Reporter, the best of the 3, was a half season), made in black and white and long forgotten from 55 years ago. Not a high demand for Cara Williams, Harry Guardino or Paul Ford these days.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wombat