Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Benjamin
Maybe so, but in effort to be optimistic, if shows like Decoy and Deadline can be released, perhaps there's hope for Cara Williams.

Has The Cara Williams Show ever been seen in syndication? I figure that it hasn't because it has only the one season of 30 episodes, not usually enough to be considered for syndication. I've watched a few episodes on You Tube and thought they were amusing.
Except, it could still be syndicated but on a weekly basis (usually on weekends).

~Ben

Neil Brock

Producer
Reaction score
Maybe so, but in effort to be optimistic, if shows like Decoy and Deadline can be released, perhaps there's hope for Cara Williams.

Has The Cara Williams Show ever been seen in syndication? I figure that it hasn't because it has only the one season of 30 episodes, not usually enough to be considered for syndication. I've watched a few episodes on You Tube and thought they were amusing.
A - Its a failed one season show from 55 years ago. How many people do you think remember it?

B - No stars in the show who anyone would remember today.

C - No existing transferred elements.

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Lee
A - Its a failed one season show from 55 years ago. How many people do you think remember it?

B - No stars in the show who anyone would remember today.

C - No existing transferred elements.
I think there are probably more people who remember The Cara Williams Show compared to those who remember Decoy and Deadline, and those two shows were issued on DVD.

Anyhow, I know it's a longshot for Cara Williams Show to get a complete series DVD release, I'd be interested to have it and there are others that have also requested it. If there are currently no existing transferred elements then that probably puts the kabosh on it right there. If it does happen to get released eventually, I'd consider it a pleasant and unexpected surprise. If not, I'll live without it.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
dan olson
I think there are probably more people who remember The Cara Williams Show compared to those who remember Decoy and Deadline, and those two shows were issued on DVD.

Anyhow, I know it's a longshot for Cara Williams Show to get a complete series DVD release, I'd be interested to have it and there are others that have also requested it. If there are currently no existing transferred elements then that probably puts the kabosh on it right there. If it does happen to get released eventually, I'd consider it a pleasant and unexpected surprise. If not, I'll live without it.
Maybe a few more people recall the Cara Williams show -- not me personally, but I don't think that plays much of a role in the one-season b&w shows that make it to DVD. For Decoy and Deadline, opportunity had a huge reason -- someone who found/owned copies of the show, along with someone who signed off and willing to front the expense, were in agreeable moods. As we get down the list of popular shows from that era, and the viewers of them slowly die off, there are fewer people who see a viable opportunity in investing in such venture. And without easy access to relatively ready product to reproduce, it's just less and less likely. Of course rare things do happen -- Deadline was not even a whisper 15 months ago, and who ever thought Bronk would get a release? So keep on hoping...

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Lee
Maybe a few more people recall the Cara Williams show -- not me personally, but I don't think that plays much of a role in the one-season b&w shows that make it to DVD. For Decoy and Deadline, opportunity had a huge reason -- someone who found/owned copies of the show, along with someone who signed off and willing to front the expense, were in agreeable moods. As we get down the list of popular shows from that era, and the viewers of them slowly die off, there are fewer people who see a viable opportunity in investing in such venture. And without easy access to relatively ready product to reproduce, it's just less and less likely. Of course rare things do happen -- Deadline was not even a whisper 15 months ago, and who ever thought Bronk would get a release? So keep on hoping...
It's too bad that The Cara Williams Show isn't a Warner Archive property, Warners has previously released some one season shows like Hank, The Jimmy Stewart Show, the first season of Mr. Novak was released, and Bronk, the series you mentioned. I'll continue having hope for The Cara Williams Show although I know the hope is slim.

On the subject of Bronk, I have the DVD set, two thumbs up to Warners for releasing it, episodes are complete but the bad thing is that a handful of episodes have a poor quality audio track, the sound is soft and muffled which makes it very difficult to hear what the actors are saying. Turning the volume up on the TV helps a little but not much.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
dan olson
It's too bad that The Cara Williams Show isn't a Warner Archive property, Warners has previously released some one season shows like Hank, The Jimmy Stewart Show, the first season of Mr. Novak was released, and Bronk, the series you mentioned. I'll continue having hope for The Cara Williams Show although I know the hope is slim.

On the subject of Bronk, I have the DVD set, two thumbs up to Warners for releasing it, episodes are complete but the bad thing is that a handful of episodes have a poor quality audio track, the sound is soft and muffled which makes it very difficult to hear what the actors are saying. Turning the volume up on the TV helps a little but not much.
Good to know re. Bronk; it's sitting on my shelf...

Gary OS

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gary
So, we've all but finished up one month in 2020, with eleven more to go. What did we get this past month again? I'm only aware of the CBS MOD for My Three Sons Season 5. Anything else I'm missing?

Gary "with the news about CBS I'm quite uncertain about how many b&w releases we'll see this year" O.

Reactions: Darby67

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Dave
Season 5 of My Three Sons became available in late-December. So really nothing has been released so far this year.

Despite the news in the other thread, I still hope (probably in vain) that more Ben Casey, Our Miss Brooks and the first in-color seasons of My Three Sons somehow manage to eventually get released sometime this year.

Harry-N

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Harry N.
I remember watching CARA WILLIAMS and PETE AND GLADYS and DECEMBER BRIDE.

They were amusing in their day, and I'd probably enjoy seeing an episode or two of each for nostalgia's sake, but I have fonder memories of shows like HENESSEY, PEOPLE'S CHOICE, and TOPPER. Those series I'd buy full seasons of.

By the way, I'm 69 years old.

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Lee
Regarding the above mentioned Cara Williams Show, being I'm an old TV buff, I'd buy it . But , I'd rather have her other show Pete And Gladys . Not that I think anyone would put it out .
Along with The Cara Williams Show, I'd also be in for a complete series DVD of Pete & Gladys with all uncut episodes. Probably unlikely to happen, but one can always hope.

Does anyone know the status of the December Bride episodes? I wonder if this might be a lost series because as far as I know it hasn't had an official DVD release of any kind. The only DVD's I'm aware of is a 24 episode collection from Nostalgia Merchant. 24 episodes of Pete & Gladys are also available from Nostalgia Merchant.

Last edited:

LouA

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I have The Nostalgia Merchant set . It just whetted my appetite for the entire 2 season run .
I remember watching CARA WILLIAMS and PETE AND GLADYS and DECEMBER BRIDE.

They were amusing in their day, and I'd probably enjoy seeing an episode or two of each for nostalgia's sake, but I have fonder memories of shows like HENESSEY, PEOPLE'S CHOICE, and TOPPER. Those series I'd buy full seasons of.

By the way, I'm 69 years old.
Yes all three of those would be very welcome . The People's Choice is a " HOLY GRAIL" show for me .

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
Despite the news in the other thread, I still hope (probably in vain) that more Ben Casey, Our Miss Brooks and the first in-color seasons of My Three Sons somehow manage to eventually get released sometime this year.
Especially Ben Casey-- that first go of it, a lot of us here got (both volumes worth, IINM), because we wanted to see what that classic 1961-66 ABC medical series was like; I think that as with Gunsmoke, CBS ought to see the proof in the pudding that we want to see that, and continue putting it out.

LouA

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Along with The Cara Williams Show, I'd also be in for a complete series DVD of Pete & Gladys with all uncut episodes. Probably unlikely to happen, but one can always hope.

Does anyone know the status of the December Bride episodes? I wonder if this might be a lost series because as far as I know it hasn't had an official DVD release of any kind. The only DVD's I'm aware of is a 24 episode collection from Nostalgia Merchant. 24 episodes of Pete & Gladys are also available from Nostalgia Merchant.
I've always wondered about December Bride as well. It was a popular show in it's time , and ran for a 5 seasons , and then went into syndication for quite a while . Obviously , it probably wouldn't appeal to the young generations , but what's left of the boomer bunch would probably enjoy seeing it again.
It was a Desilu show , and disappeared from TV for the most part during the 1970s . It has never been on home video in any form , not even VHS. Maybe it's time for the current owners of the show to dust it off and get it onto an oldies TV station like Antenna , or Me -TV.
Anyone know who owns the show at this point ?
BTW, Pete And Gladys was a "spin-off" of December Bride .

Last edited:

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
It was a Desilu show , and disappeared from TV for the mostly part during the 1970s .
Shame that that Desilu show has practically become nonexistent nowadays, whereas many others (like I Love Lucy [flagship of the late, great Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz], and O-R NBC 60s Star Trek, among others), have survived and thrived long beyond when they were originally on, and have made bundles of money for CBS in DVD/Blu releasing, and for stations and cable/satellite networks in reruns, IINM.

jperez

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
jorge perez
Especially Ben Casey-- that first go of it, a lot of us here got (both volumes worth, IINM), because we wanted to see what that classic 1961-66 ABC medical series was like; I think that as with Gunsmoke, CBS ought to see the proof in the pudding that we want to see that, and continue putting it out.

Wasn't aware about any any problems with continbuing with the Ben Casey season releases. Or did I miss something?

Reactions: bmasters9

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
Wasn't aware about any any problems with continbuing with the Ben Casey season releases. Or did I miss something?
I don't think you did-- it's just that CBS DVD/MOD have seemingly ended, a lot of people here (myself included) worry about the fate of shows like that, Bonanza, and Gunsmoke, among others.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Gary
I don't think you did-- it's just that CBS DVD/MOD have seemingly ended, a lot of people here (myself included) worry about the fate of shows like that, Bonanza, and Gunsmoke, among others.
Ben Casey, My 3 Sons and Our Miss Brooks were all part of the MOD program which is now in limbo. Bonanza and Gunsmoke were not and should be continued via Paramount at some point soon. Hopefully the MOD titles will find a home.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanchibrneha