1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    :laugh:, I didn't attack you and I wasn't nasty, you're the one who was nasty and attacked/trolled me with your sarcastic comment and all I did was reply accordingly. If an apology is owed, you owe one to me, you're the one who started it but don't bother apologizing because I don't want anything from you. If you think the misplaced teasers is a minor thing, then good for you but because I find them to be an issue doesn't give you the green light to attack and troll me. :wave-hello:

2. timk1041

timk1041 Stunt Coordinator

Timothy

3. timk1041

Timothy
    Sorry. I never attacked you. I am sorry you have an issue with people simply offering you a suggestion or stating an opinion. Anyway, I reported you. I don't deserve to be treated in this manner. I did nothing wrong.

4. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    :laugh:, stop trying to make it look like you're the victim when the opposite is true. I'm the one who's being mistreated and you've been reported also. :wave-hello:

5. timk1041

Timothy
    Really?? Unbelievable! If you're so upset, why are you posting those stupid little smiling things? Please grow up. This whole thing is utterly ridiculous. Someone simply states an opinion and offers a suggestion without telling the other person they have to do it and the other person reacts in an extremely defensive and very childish manner. It's a shame you can't reason with some people. And you actually watch Leave It To Beaver??? Why would anyone watch a terrific show like that and act this way????? Please don't post anything else on this subject. Sorry. I am done with you.

howard1908 likes this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Stop it! Either you guys place each other on "Ignore" or we're going to start banning certain folks from this thread. We don't care who started it, but it ends now.

Jack K, timk1041, Sam Posten and 2 others like this.
  7. Message #3767 of 3805 Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    Message received and understood. I was preparing a response to message #3765, those comments were completely uncalled for but as per Mr. Crawford's request I've chosen the "ignore" option. Thank you Robert.

8. timk1041

Timothy
    Thank you. I agree. I am not on here to engage in heated debates with anyone. I am here to read and comment on upcoming DVD/Blu Ray releases and like posts from others who share the same passion and love for classic TV shows and films. I apologize for my comments that I directed on someone else. I should have simply ignored that person instead of getting upset with comments directed at me. Please forgive me.

9. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    So, with the bad news about the CBS-MOD line going under, knowing that they were responsible for a sizable portion of our 2019 b&w TV on DVD output, it seems we are closer than ever to the funeral none of us want to attend.

Gary “I need to amend down my earlier prediction about how many b&w sets will be released this year” O.

10. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    It has been a slow, agonizing decline. There have been times where the patient seemed to revive, only to slip further back. There have been little periods where hope came back, only to have more nails pounded into the coffin. The mini flurry of activity from CBS Mod was encouraging, and made the prospects for 2020 bearable. But now the pall has returned. Let us hope someone, anyone, will come along to keep the patient alive for a while longer.

ChrisALM, timk1041, Darby67 and 2 others like this.
  11. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Exactly, Glenn. The slippage has been happening for over a decade now. The peak was around 2007-2008. There was a drop after the recession hit, but the patient stayed fairly healthy for a few years after. But about 7 or 8 years ago we could all see things were steadily dropping off as some smaller boutique labels failed or were gobbled up by others, Timeless to Shout being the primary example. And the last few years we've seen lags and then a couple of sudden, short bursts of energy (i.e. multiple releases in a short period of time) from the patient, much like happens in real life just before a person passes away. I fear we may not see many more little bursts of energy going forward. Vitals are definitely waning at this point. Not sure where any resuscitation will come from. But it's greatly needed if we are to see more good years from b&w TV on DVD.

Gary "trying to remain optimistic, but..." O.

timk1041, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  12. Message #3772 of 3805 Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    No more classic DVD releases from CBS ever again? I am not thinking that!

~Ben

13. Message #3773 of 3805 Jan 24, 2020
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Does anyone think part of their long-term plan, if any, is to make these shows exclusive to CBS All Access? The end game for the mainstream studios seems to be a return to total control of distribution and exhibition of movies. That's a worst-case scenario, mind you.

Flashgear likes this.
  14. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Regarding CBS-MOD, according to a source at the company, Paramount will take over marketing as well as distribution of all CBS properties eliminating CBS Home Entertainment. The MOD program is up in the air as to its ultimate fate.

Flashgear likes this.
  15. Message #3775 of 3805 Jan 24, 2020
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    I still think there will be DVD releases of more lesser-known properties, but through Shout! Factory and VEI...

If VEI already released such second-rate or third-rate shows as Angie and The Powers of Matthew Star, then I think they still might release these following CBS/Paramount properties...
    (applicable to this thread)
    The Millionaire (1955-1960)
    Ben Casey (seasons 2-5)
    Breaking Point (1963-1964)
    The Cara Williams Show (1964-1965)
    Slattery's People (1964-1965)

~Ben

LouA, Darby67, Jack K and 1 other person like this.
  16. Purple Wig

Purple Wig Stunt Coordinator

Alan
    I'd like to see all of these.

LouA, Darby67, Jack K and 1 other person like this.
  17. howard1908

howard1908 Stunt Coordinator

howard hughes
    As much as i would like this to be the case, the modus operandi of VEI has been to exclude black and white shows and to focus exclusivley on color shows made from late 1960s onward, I don't know what the exact fate of these black and white shows is going to be, but i highly, highly doubt VEI is going to be involved in their future.

18. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    Black and white TV shows being released on DVD have slowed down and is past it's prime time but I don't think it's ended, I imagine there will still be the occasional release now and then.

I'd like to have the complete series DVD of The Cara Williams Show, 30 episode black and white sitcom from 1964-65. I'd be in for that one if it got released as long as all episodes would be uncut with no edits.

19. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Those are buried so deep in CBS's vaults that I don't think Indiana Jones himself would be able to find them.

20. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    Maybe so, but in effort to be optimistic, if shows like Decoy and Deadline can be released, perhaps there's hope for Cara Williams.

Has The Cara Williams Show ever been seen in syndication? I figure that it hasn't because it has only the one season of 30 episodes, not usually enough to be considered for syndication. I've watched a few episodes on You Tube and thought they were amusing.

Darby67 and ClassicTVMan1981X like this.