1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. upperco

upperco Stunt Coordinator

Jackson Upperco
    WCBS-TV (Channel 2) showed it regularly from September 1962 to January 1965, first daily, then weekly.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  2. upperco

upperco Stunt Coordinator

Jackson Upperco
    I don't think it's odd you like the radio series more. Most of Brooks' stories were built on misunderstandings -- Three's Company, but with better grammar. And it's much easier to suspend disbelief for these heightened, silly scenarios without the limitation of visuals.

However, I don't think comedically there's a major distinction to be made between the series' sense of humor on TV vs. radio -- that exchange quoted above is exactly the kind of fare that would have survived the transition. In fact, if anything, I think the TV show should have been less bound by its radio roots and more imaginative -- taking advantage of the freedom of visuals....

Yet the great irony of the TV show is that its best stories WERE the ones adapted from radio because the writers had already exhausted the premise even before it made the transition. So I think it's also easy to see why the final season might be appealing (at least as a novelty): it's the first time the TV show made an actual creative decision.

Jeff Flugel and Bert Greene like this.
  3. Message #3643 of 3751 Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Cinematographer

Rob Ray
    I recall one funny radio episode of OUR MISS BROOKS that was remade into a dreadful TV episode. It had to do with Mr. Conklin ordering Miss Brooks to get a new school mascot, while at the same time, ordering someone else (Harriet? I don't remember) to pick up an elephant figurine for Mrs. Conkin. Of course, in typical OMB fashion, Miss Brooks misinterprets the message and thinks Mr. Conkin wants an elephant as the new school mascot. And when she shows up at his house with the elephant, he orders her to bring it in and set it on table. You can imagine what happens next. These things write themselves. But it's all hilarious on the radio; however, seeing it played visually (with a fake elephant) doesn't work at all.

Still, I love Eve Arden, I love Mrs. Davis, Mr. Conklin, Harriet Conklin and Mr. Boynton. Walter goes a long way with me, but I am afraid the show remains a guilty pleasure.

Jeff Flugel and Bert Greene like this.
  4. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I only vaguely remember Our Miss Brooks. I started watching TV in (or should say remember shows from) 1959 onward and I think I've seen an episode or two but would have to see some again to really know for sure. I doubt it was syndicated here at all (Mid-South) .

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  5. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    Out of curiosity, how many of you have seen the 1956 movie version of "Our Miss Brooks"? In comparison to the series, the movie seems strange. It's not a matter of it being bad but more that there is an expansiveness never observed on TV. For one thing, we actually see Eve Arden in a classroom teaching high school students. We see a lot more students than just Walter Denton, Harriet, and Stretch Snodgrass. We see location shooting showing Madison High School filled with students and faculty. All of this really shows how the TV version was informed by what had happened on radio since the TV show focuses more on the writing and characterizations.

Jeff Flugel and Gary16 like this.
  6. Message #3646 of 3751 Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard Second Unit

Jason
    Something new and B&W is being released next month (apologies if this has already been posted):

"Lost and forgotten in a garage in New Jersey for over 50 years, the Deadline TV series (1959-61), which dramatized stories drawn from actual newspaper headlines of the 1950's, has been rediscovered to remind us of a time when newspaper reporters were revered as heroes and the guardians of truth and justice. Reporters are the first line of defense of the principles rooted in our Constitution and protected under the first amendment. They uphold everything that our civil society stands for. At a time when print news media is rapidly disappearing and news reporters are being vilified as "enemies of the people," Deadline has emerged from hibernation and is making its home video debut. Starring Peter Falk, Diane Ladd, George Maharis, Robert Lansing, and many more, this anthology series is available for the first time since it aired on prime-time TV nearly 60 years ago."

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YTDXW2K/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_YnoQDbMFW1752

Produced by Arnold Perl, who also co-created East Side/West Side, so I'm guessing this was filmed in New York and would appeal to those of us who like "relevant" B&W drama.

The price is right...39 episodes for $19.98.

Purple Wig, Darby67, Ron1973 and 9 others like this.
  7. Larry.P

Larry.P Stunt Coordinator

I believe the episodes will be more complete than the ME-TV airings but less complete than the original broadcasts. CBS went back to the original negatives when they did the transfers. Unfortunately the negatives were cut.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  8. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    So...a science fiction series? ;)

That said, it might be worth a look, especially with Peter Falk starring in one of the episodes. Perhaps I'll try it when there's a really good Deep Discount or B&N sale.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  9. Message #3649 of 3751 Oct 17, 2019
    GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    Film Chest had mentioned this as a possibility after they released Decoy a few years ago. They are a small company in my home state. They do a really nice job for a very reasonable price, and I am so glad they followed through on this. Helps soften the blow from Our Miss Brooks.

10. John Karras

John Karras Second Unit

Lawrence
    My understanding is that this release will be comprised of episodes coming in at 22 minutes. I hope my information is incorrect, but I won't be ordering until we know what we're really getting.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  11. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

Terrific news about "Deadline." Really looking forward to getting that. Appreciate the tip.

And I needed some terrific news, as I'm getting queasier and queasier about "Our Miss Brooks." I truly thought something that was transferred in such recent times would have both a complete, full-length set and an abbreviated or time-sped syndication set concurrently made. Especially as this was something never even transferred to tape back in the day. When I saw it listed as available in syndication back in a 1985 broadcasting journal, it was only in 16mm, and pretty worn, raggedy prints at that from what I ultimately saw... which is why I think few stations ever bothered with it by then, beyond its general datedness. Everyone's toleration level is probably different, but I find 22-minute edits to be a bridge way too far. They become like a "Cliff Notes" viewing experience. Or rather, like having something genuinely missing from your dinner plate. It becomes gnawingly dissatisfying to me. That's why I've always consciously avoided getting such dvd-sets plagued by this problem.

But I've already ordered the set, and if it's full of these chopped-up prints, so be it. I'll watch them, and then file away the set, as a complement to the six or seven CD-collections of the series' original radio version that I have. But I won't be buying any more, that's for sure.

12. Message #3652 of 3751 Oct 17, 2019
    Tom.W

Tom.W Stunt Coordinator

I checked the recordings I made from MeTV/Decades. They are edited to about 22:50 but appear not to be timesped. Disappointing about the MOD release seemingly using the same edited transfers. I never thought OMB was funny but it still has some nostalgic value for me, as a typical 50's sitcom. It ran on CBS in Chicago for a few years in the early 60's in the early afternoon. I agree it probably worked better on radio. On tv, it seemed to rely too much on slapstick, like the elephant episode described previously. They do look great, however, if that is any consolation for those making the investment.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  13. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    To beat the dead "Our Miss Brooks" horse a little more:

There were many episodes I thought were actually hilarious in the radio version which laid a deadly bomb when translated to television.

I guess there are many reasons for this, most of which have been pointed out already.

About a little Walter Denton going a long way: Not only is his voice obnoxious, it was ripped off from some previous radio character, whose name escapes me at the moment.

And Walter Denton is another reason the TV version doesn't really work: On radio, you can picture Walter as the ultimate nerd, but when you saw Richard Crenna on TV you could see he was actually a good-looking man (and way too old -- he turned 26 the first season and was pushing 30 by the time he left the series). The voice didn't fit the picture on TV!

Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  14. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Fantastic news, Jason! Thanks for sharing it, because I hadn’t heard this was coming soon. Also extra nice because it contains a couple of Christmas episodes!!!

Gary “definitely a must buy for me” O.

15. howard1908

howard1908 Stunt Coordinator

howard hughes
    I dont understand why they would use the syndicated print, this may sound ignorant to some of you, but when they restored Our Miss Brooks for syndication a few years ago wouldnt they have restored the unedited master and then make the edits later (sincs its all done digitally anyway), if so why not release unedited masters, if not, why do they do it that way?

Jeff Flugel, ChrisALM and Gary OS like this.
  16. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    My guess is the original negatives were cut for syndication and the cut parts thrown away, so the syndicated version is all that exists now.

They never dreamed there'd be home video and people talking about this series on the Internet over 60 years later. I've read other examples of what was cut from the negatives of TV shows and movies just being thrown away.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  17. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Good news! As I've mentioned before , just when you think we've seen the very last B&W DVD release something "new " and rare shows up. Who knows , maybe eventually we'll get it all.

18. howard1908

howard1908 Stunt Coordinator

howard hughes
    I dont think that is the case because the Our Miss Brooks syndicated cuts that ran in the 80s clocked in at about 21:30 minutes and were all missing they're tag scenes, which is not the case with HD syndication masters, which run 22:30 and have tag scenes.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  19. Message #3659 of 3751 Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Great news about the Filmchest release of Deadline that many of us were hoping would happen after their wonderful release of Decoy!...if the source film prints (hoping for 35mm, not 16mm) retain the Deadline (For Action) moniker, these would be, as stated, the 1959 syndication rebirth...as this show was originally seen under the title Wire Service on ABC from October 1956 to September 1957. The series rotating leads of Dane Clark, George Brent and Mercedes McCambridge playing the star foreign corespondents for the fictional Trans-Globe Wire Service...like Decoy, this was another of the Official Films 30 minute dramas, filmed at Desilu, and was a prestige show for ABC in the fall of 1956...here is a wonderful publicity photo of the lovely Beverly Garland as seen in her Wire Service episode Profile of Ellen Gale (ep. 25, Feb. 25, 1957)...Beverly plays a reclusive movie star forced into an early retirement, and unseen by her adoring public for 8 years...when she makes a desperate phone call to reporter Mercedes McCambridge pleading for help from her abusive, and potentially murderous, husband...Michael Pate and Virginia Christine are also in this episode...the beautiful oil portrait of Beverly Garland was given to her as a gift by the series producers and was apparently seen for many years in her home thereafter...Beverly later gave this painting to her biographer Deborah Delvecchio, author of Beverly Garland, Her Life and Career...
    [​IMG]
    Beverly is also in another Wire Service/Dealine episode, a Dane Clark outing directed by Robert Florey, The Johnny Rath Story (ep. 4, Oct. 25, 1956 w/ Ross Elliott, Walter Sande)...Beverly plays the mom to a little boy who goes missing in a rail yard while playing, ending up locked into a refrigerator car on the move to another city...I've watched this and another episode in the recent past from my collection, The Deep End (ep. 11, December 13, 1956), a George Brent outing directed by Tom Gries, with Larry Pennell and Edd "Kookie" Byrnes...Pennell plays a star high school football player who is also a stone cold killer...Charles Bronson, Lee Van Cleef, Michael Landon, Ed Platt, Howard McNear, Fay Spain, Carolyn Jones, Keye Luke, Whitney Blake, Rhodes Reason, Harry Carey Jr., Jimmy Lydon, Anton Diffring, Royal Dano, Paul Fix, Lisa Montell, Andrew Duggan, Murray Hamilton, Barry Atwater, Werner Klemperer, Diane Brewster, Gloria Talbott and Brian Keith are in other episodes of the 39...Publicity photo for Wire Service (Deadline) with Dane Clark and Mercedes McCambridge...
    [​IMG]

Newspaper ad from the Detroit Free Press showing the October 4, 1956 premiere of Wire Service...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new Film Chest 3 DVD set...
    [​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YTDXW2K/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_YnoQDbMFW1752?tag=skim0x95940-20

20. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    I hear this upcoming Deadline release will have some pretty good bonuses on it (at least that's what Amazon tells me).

Tom.W, Darby67, Gary OS and 2 others like this.