1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I'd absolutely love to see Gray Ghost. A really solid western that's not confined to indoor studio settings. As long as a western gets outdoors plenty I'm generally forgiving of a lot of things. But if it's mostly studio sound stage stuff, I'm generally turned off. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part that's how I roll.

Gary "would love to see any of the other westerns you mentioned as well" O.

2. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    Thanks for the news. "Our Miss Brooks" has been at the top of my wish list for years, and I'll be happy to order the two volumes even at this inflated price point. My only complaint is that the cover art is lousy. If I didn't know that these volumes were from CBS I'd assume that these were bootleg releases. Still, if that's my only complaint, then I think I'm pretty lucky overall. Just waiting now for Amazon to list them.

3. Message #3623 of 3751 Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    upperco

upperco Stunt Coordinator

Jackson Upperco
    Listings are up on Amazon for Our Miss Brooks. The runtimes -- 850 minutes is both volumes' combined -- suggest that either all 38 episodes from Season One won't be included (there's one from the first year that's excluded from the syndication package) or that they're all edited, about 22:30.

4. Message #3624 of 3751 Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    Major bummer. Maybe they are just releasing what's already been shown on Me-TV. I will probably still purchase them, unimaginative cover art and all. But still, major bummer, especially after the good news that Ben Casey is unedited.

Flashgear, Jack K and bmasters9 like this.
  5. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Certainly is-- I expect a plethora of 1-stars, possibly from those who remembered that hit CBS comedy as it was aired then, and wanted it that way.

Flashgear likes this.
  6. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

The cover-art to the "Our Miss Brooks" set is atrocious enough, but if these turn out to be chopped-up, edited copies, I'm not going to be a very happy camper. And yes, I already ordered it, along with "Ben Casey." I was frankly more worried about the latter series having problems, owing to its syndication/transfer history. Didn't expect such a situation with "Our Miss Brooks," which was transferred in very recent years.

7. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    I wouldn't blame you for feeling that way-- Our Miss Brooks has been a flagship show of CBS as it was way back when, just as much as I Love Lucy!

Gary OS likes this.
  8. Arthur Powell

Arthur
    As far as I know, the only masters for Our Miss Brooks are the ones recently created for MeTV. Does anyone know if the recent MeTV/Decades broadcasts were time-compressed or edited? Anyway, I just submitted my order on Amazon.

Flashgear likes this.
  9. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    If you think the cover art for "Our Miss Brooks" is bad -- wait until you see the show.

When it came on MeTV I was so excited -- I had happy memories of it from childhood.

Then I made a terrible mistake -- I actually watched it.

Caveat emptor - especially since it's so overpriced.

10. Arthur Powell

Arthur
    Thoroughly disagree. I have pleasant memories of watching episodes that my parents had recorded on their Betamax, and I also greatly enjoyed the MeTV airings. The show lived up to my memories and then some.

Rob_Ray, upperco, Flashgear and 3 others like this.
  11. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    My understanding is that “Our Miss Brooks” was transferred around 2015 for a DVD release deal with Shout Factory. That deal fell through and a broadcast deal was made with MeTV. The transfers I saw looked very good on Me.

Jeff Flugel, Rob_Ray, Jack K and 2 others like this.
  12. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Back in the late 50's Gray Ghost was a favorite of mine . I looked forward to seeing it late Saturday afternoons on WPIX in NYC. I had the comic books , board game , "paint by the numbers" set etc . So, I'd love to see it arrive on DVD . Let's hope it happens .
    I'd also like to see the Millionaire released . I hope Gary's optimism about the show becomes reality

13. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Ben Casey volume 1 disc 3
    Episode 9 - 47:33 (only cut episode so far—looks like something was cut at the start of chapter 4 since it’s an abrupt cut from black—also has the old open)
    Episode 10 - 50:34
    Episode 11 - 50:33
    Episode 12 - 50:16

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and bmasters9 like this.
  14. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    By that, do you mean that the act on that chapter starts with the first scene of that act appearing suddenly on screen, instead of fading in?

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  15. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Yes

16. Message #3636 of 3751 Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    upperco

upperco Stunt Coordinator

Jackson Upperco
    Which one(s) did you watch? There's a big difference in quality between a 1953 episode and a 1955 episode.

I think the first season is great and each year thereafter is a continued descent.

But don't forget, by the time the show moved to TV, they'd been doing it for four years on radio and were already recycling scripts. So, of course they were exhausted of ideas by 1954, 1955.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  17. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Cinematographer

Rob Ray
    I had never seen OUR MISS BROOKS before the ME-TV airings and knew it only by reputation. I found it delightful entertainment and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was especially surprised by how much I loved Gale Gordon as Mr. Conklin, after finding all his bellowing at Lucy over the years rather tiresome.

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Gary16 like this.
  18. Joe Lugoff

Joe
    I watched all of them. Actually, the last season with a new format was better, although still weak.

One episode that stands out in my mind is from the first season, when the other characters* think Connie needs a hobby.

The last scene is everyone sitting around a table trying to get her interested in their hobby. It was so stupid and badly done that it was as bad as anything on "Here's Lucy," for instance.

*About "the other characters": Of course, from the school, that meant Mr. Conklin, Mr. Boynton, Walter Denton and his gf, Conklin's daughter. With rare exceptions, that's all you ever see at the school. It seems Miss Brooks rarely interacted with anyone else. It's just one of the things that makes the show surrealistic. And, of course, she's never seen teaching, ever. I read that Eve Arden only agreed to take the part if she never had to be shown teaching, because she said it was something she could never do in a million years. She couldn't even ACT it. It goes without saying she was a one-note actress.

19. Joe Lugoff

Joe
    LOL. Is he really that much different on "Our Miss Brooks"?!

Talk about a one-note actor.

Oddly enough, I like the radio series much more. It was better written and acted.

Like this exchange (paraphrased):

Miss Brooks: Mr. Conklin suffers from bad nervous headaches.

Mrs. Davis: How long has he had them?

Miss Brooks: It'll be five years this coming February.

Mrs. Davis: Connie, how long have you been teaching at Madison?

Miss Brooks: It'll be five years this coming February.

Well, I thought it was funny.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  20. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Reminds me of how Camp Runamuck was about adult at a children's camp, except you rarely ever saw any children or had stories which revolved around them. Which was one of the reasons that the show stunk. Really the only reason to watch it was to see Carol Wayne's hotter sister, Nina.

Speaking of "teacher" shows, I don't recall seeing many episodes where Mr. Peepers was in his classroom and interacted with his students either.

Maybe there's a reason why Our Miss Brooks had such poor syndication over the last few decades. I started watching TV in the early 60s and I don't recall it airing on any of the New York stations.

Purple Wig and Jeff Flugel like this.