What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Sheifer

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck Sheifer
Any hope for 77 Sunset Strip; Hawaiian Eye; Surf Side 6; Bourbon Street Beat; and Colt .45? Any news on Shout! continuing Peyton Place?

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
howard hughes
The Millionaire (1955-1960)
The Cara Williams Show (1964-1965)
Slattery's People (1964-1965)
He and She (1967-1968)
Cimarron Strip (1967)

~Ben[/QUOT

Cimmaron strip has been released you can pick it up on ebay for about 40 dollars, although the prints are in less than pristine condition.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Just watched episode one and two of Ben Casey. What a great series just as good as ever.

Episode 1: Looks very good overall. Slightly jumpy at times. I’ll assume these are the old transfers but complete.
Definitely not timesped.
Audio good but a little muffled or swimmy at times.
Bumper into the breaks are retained.
Full closing credits audio but the Bing Crosby logo is covered by the CBS distribution logo. Music continued to end.

Episode 2: Overall good but shakier video especially the closing credits. Good news is this one keeps the Crosby close including the ABC-AMA credit followed by the CBS credit. Not timesped.

I skimmed three and four. Three covers thr Crosby logo with CBS and fades the audio early. Four keeps the Crosby logo but not the ABC-AMA and fades the audio. So different people must have handled different episodes. Still happy to have this.

Run times for disc one:
Episode 1: 50:27
Episode 2: 50:19
Episode 3: 50:30
Episode 4: 50:14

One note — FYI the discs in my copy of volume one were out of order. Discs 2 and 4 on the left and 3 and 1 on the right.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Just watched episode one and two of Ben Casey. What a great series just as good as ever.

Episode 1: Looks very good overall. Slightly jumpy at times. I’ll assume these are the old transfers but complete.
Definitely not timesped.
Audio good but a little muffled or swimmy at times.
Bumper into the breaks are retained.
Full closing credits audio but the Bing Crosby logo is covered by the CBS distribution logo. Music continued to end.

Episode 2: Overall good but shakier video especially the closing credits. Good news is this one keeps the Crosby close including the ABC-AMA credit followed by the CBS credit. Not timesped.

I skimmed three and four. Three covers thr Crosby logo with CBS and fades the audio early. Four keeps the Crosby logo but not the ABC-AMA and fades the audio. So different people must have handled different episodes. Still happy to have this.

Run times for disc one:
Episode 1: 50:27
Episode 2: 50:19
Episode 3: 50:30
Episode 4: 50:14

One note — FYI the discs in my copy of volume one were out of order. Discs 2 and 4 on the left and 3 and 1 on the right.
My Hogan's Heroes season 1 DVD set also has the first two discs numbered out of order!

~Ben

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
They still have to work on it, but I know the last three seasons of the series have an extended version of the Bing Crosby Productions closing logo audio, which goes from the logo sequence to the notice saying...
"BING CROSBY PRODUCTIONS and the AMERICAN BROADCASTING COMPANY wish to thank the AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION and its Physicians Advisory Committee on Radio, Television and Motion Pictures for their assistance in the production of BEN CASEY."

A similar ending was used on the spin-off series, Breaking Point (1963-64).

~Ben

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
The Millionaire (1955-1960)
The Cara Williams Show (1964-1965)
Slattery's People (1964-1965)
He and She (1967-1968)
Cimarron Strip (1967)

~Ben
I wouldn't count The Millionaire as a 60's shows. The others aren't major shows in that they didn't go multiple seasons. I'm thinking in terms of shows that went multipe seasons such as The Beverly Hillbillies. Not to negate your hopes to see those released as I'm always happy to see someone's grail show released even if it isn't one of my favorites.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Actually I was asking a question . I hope they are factory pressed discs , but I'll be buying either way , just as I will with Ben Casey , and Our Miss Brooks and any other vintage B&W or color show . What threw me was that CBS is releasing two seasons at the same time , something I don't recall them doing before for any older show, so I figured they may be released as part of the MOD program. But I don't know . If they are regular DVDs , that would mean that they were putting 4 Gunsmoke releases ( vol.1 and vol. 2 for each season) into the marketplace all at once plus two Bonanza sets . That's great for me !
Actually Amazon has now changed the descriptions of the two Gunsmoke seasons which now appear to be 6 DVD sets - one for each season selling for $35 . Not bad !. Bonanza season 10 remains two separate volumes .

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
howard hughes
Just bought Ben Casey, waiting for Amazon to post up Our Miss Brooks, and while I am very happy to be seeing Ben Casey after all these years it unfortunate to have to be paying these outrageous prices just for the privilege, If they end up releasing the entirity of both Our Miss Brook & Ben Casey series at 35 dollars per half season, that comes to almost 600 dollars for the 2 shows, and don't misinterpt this statement as ignorance of the situation, I know that these shows are highly unlikely to sell past 500 units and that the only way to compensate is to price gouge. But lamentations aside, I hope these shows sell well enough for CBS to invest in some even rarer classics, like December Bride, Pete and Gladys, Whirlybirds, Sheriff of Cochise etc.

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Ben Casey episode timings
Volume 1 Disc 2
Episode 5: 50:28
Episode 6: 50:01
Episode 7: 50:26
Episode 8: 50:05

Episode 5 was obviously sourced differently than the other ones so far. It’s much sharper and cleaner with a rock solid image and crisp audio.
Episode 8 introduces a new program open with Sam Jaffe given equal star billing with Vince Edwards.

Tom.W

Second Unit
But lamentations aside, I hope these shows sell well enough for CBS to invest in some even rarer classics, like December Bride, Pete and Gladys, Whirlybirds, Sheriff of Cochise etc.

For westerns, I'd like to see Gray Ghost (CBS, I believe owns it). Although it may be too controversial even though fairly obscure today. Not sure who owns Black Saddle, Johnny Ringo, and Law of the Plainsman but those would sure buys for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks