What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
There is a noticeable bump in activity for their MOD releases, and a veritable opening of the floodgates for the iconic Gunsmoke and Bonanza. Not that I'm complaining, mind you....

Absolutely no reason to, especially w/Gunsmoke-- now that it's been said that that 1955-75 CBS classic Western will likely be completed next year, I think there'll be pretty high sales for these upcoming sixteenth- and seventeenth-season releases this year, and the ones for the final three seasons when they come next year.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Absolutely no reason to, especially w/Gunsmoke-- now that it's been said that that 1955-75 CBS classic Western will likely be completed next year, I think there'll be pretty high sales for these upcoming sixteenth- and seventeenth-season releases this year, and the ones for the final three seasons when they come next year.
Will the Bonanza and Gunsmoke releases be MOD? I'll be buying regardless, but I was just wondering . The fact that we are getting all of Gunsmoke , and at least 10 seasons of Bonanza is great news!
And while I'm posting , anyone think Warner Brothers Archive will release Colt 45 as an MOD release? It was mentioned a couple of years ago with WBA stating on thier Facebook page that they were clearing up a rights issue and the show would be released soon .
Anyone know ?

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I'd be surprised if Bonanza and Gunsmoke went the MOD route at this late stage, but you never know. I'm with you all the way with regards to Colt .45. Have been wondering what's been the hold up with that one. Wonder what sort of rights issue is problematic with that title...surely it can't be the usual, dreaded "music rights" situation? At any rate, hope we do see a release of that one at some point.

Tom.W

Second Unit
With Ben Casey and Our Miss Brooks having now seen the light of day on DVD, it may not be too much longer before The Millionaire's first season (early 1955) gets a DVD release...

I hope so. CBS properties OMB and Millionaire have had recent airings on Decades, and My Three Sons on MeTV, which seems to be an indicator of an upcoming release. Similar release patterns followed in previous years.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Actually I was asking a question . I hope they are factory pressed discs , but I'll be buying either way , just as I will with Ben Casey , and Our Miss Brooks and any other vintage B&W or color show . What threw me was that CBS is releasing two seasons at the same time , something I don't recall them doing before for any older show, so I figured they may be released as part of the MOD program. But I don't know . If they are regular DVDs , that would mean that they were putting 4 Gunsmoke releases ( vol.1 and vol. 2 for each season) into the marketplace all at once plus two Bonanza sets . That's great for me !

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
My Ben Casey DVD’s were due to arrive today from Amazon but an email this morning says they’ve encountered a delay in shipping! I checked Deep Discount and the Ben Casey DVD’s are marked backordered (and priced slightly higher than Amazon). Hoping the delay is quickly resolved.

EDIT: Just got another email from Amazon. Ben arrives tomorrow!

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
My Ben Casey DVD’s were due to arrive today from Amazon but an email this morning says they’ve encountered a delay in shipping! I checked Deep Discount and the Ben Casey DVD’s are marked backordered (and priced slightly higher than Amazon). Hoping the delay is quickly resolved.

EDIT: Just got another email from Amazon. Ben arrives tomorrow!

Curious if they are timesped or not. Let us know.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Not as I recall-- I think the Bonanza and Gunsmoke releases will be the regular discs they've always been.
I remember one of y'all posting that apparently CBS confirmed Gunsmoke was going to be finished. I suspect Bonanza will be, and I'm holding on to hope The Beverly Hillbillies will be, although I wish they'd speed up. Seeing as how My Three Sons is unstalled finally, what does that leave in the CBS vault for major 60's series that aren't completed?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I remember one of y'all posting that apparently CBS confirmed Gunsmoke was going to be finished. I suspect Bonanza will be, and I'm holding on to hope The Beverly Hillbillies will be, although I wish they'd speed up. Seeing as how My Three Sons is unstalled finally, what does that leave in the CBS vault for major 60's series that aren't completed?

Good question! Unfortunately, I don't have any of M3S or Petticoat, so I'm not sure.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
The Millionaire (1955-1960)
The Cara Williams Show (1964-1965)
Slattery's People (1964-1965)
He and She (1967-1968)
Cimarron Strip (1967)

~Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member