What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

actionsub

Agent
Real Name
Mike Stidham
'Wichita Town' was another series they wanted to put out in the very early days & were close to doing so until someone with a 'rights' claim came in at the last minute & jacked up the price to an extent it became uneconomical. I believe SFM now owns the series & I had an email from their president a couple of years back saying they were anxious to release it but the 'rights' were complicated. I imagine the downturn in the DVD market & & rights complications killed it.

Whoever owns "Wichita Town" is EXTREMELY proprietary about the show. I put up an episode from a trader on You Tube and got two or three nastygrams in short order demanding I take it down.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The words "film" and "tape" are used nowadays (by people who don't know or care about these things) interchangeably, even when referring to a video someone makes on his smartphone.

I suspect when Neil Brock uses the words, he uses them correctly. I think he's saying someone has those old filmed series on VHS tapes.

They are 1-inch and Umatic.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
More likely than not, since "Life of Riley" was produced by NBC television through (in the later years) the California National studios they owned, "Life of Riley" is either owned by NBC/Universal or out in limbo somewhere...

Life of Riley did wind up with Fox. So, kiss hopes for that one goodbye.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Whoever owns "Wichita Town" is EXTREMELY proprietary about the show. I put up an episode from a trader on You Tube and got two or three nastygrams in short order demanding I take it down.

Walter Mirisch in association with Joel McCrea. Joel's heir's would like to see it released but Mirisch has no interest for whatever reason. Can't be bothered would be my guess.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Walter Mirisch in association with Joel McCrea. Joel's heir's would like to see it released but Mirisch has no interest for whatever reason. Can't be bothered would be my guess.
Though presumably interested enough to demand that any episodes be taken down from YouTube. What a shame!

CHEERS! :)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
They are 1-inch and Umatic.
I did a little research and found out that one inch U-matic can be of good quality and was actually occasionally used by TV networks . I hope the person with the tapes can find someone willing to release them . As I'm sure you know, VCI has 3 collections on each of those shows , so they might be interested . VCI recently released a multi- disc collection of Annie Oakley - The Complete series , so maybe they'd like to do similar packages on My Little Margie , and I Married Joan. Stranger things have happened !

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I'm currently making my way through the recently released series Decoy. Considering how many episodes are on each disc, it looks better than I expected. I'm hoping Film Chest Media, the company responsible for this DVD set, has more complete B&W series planned.

Today I saw a thread in the Blu-ray section about the film Topper getting a Blu release. It would be nice to have the complete 2-season Topper series. Episodes are apparently in public domain, but then so were episodes of Decoy. Probably unlikely, as is still the case for far too many B&W era shows. Then again, who really expected a complete Decoy release?

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Then again, who really expected a complete Decoy release?

This is half the fun of this hobby, every now and then you find out an obscure show that piques your interest is coming out on DVD. :banana:Better yet, a show you thought didn't have a snowball's chance in H-E (Double Hockey Sticks) is getting released in its full glory. :cheers:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
This is half the fun of this hobby, every now and then you find out an obscure show that piques your interest is coming out on DVD. Better yet, a show you thought didn't have a snowball's chance in H-E (Double Hockey Sticks) is getting released in its full glory.

For me that's the complete series of ROWAN & MARTIN'S LAUGH-IN. I didn't even think it would ever air on television again and then all six seasons popped up on Decades. Now some people have received the Time-Life sets this week and the reports are very good that it is "as advertised."

I never even considered it as a Holy Grail because I just thought it wasn't a possibility.

Now I'll go back to TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH and the rest of BURKE'S LAW.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Now I'll go back to TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH and the rest of BURKE'S LAW.

If it is announced they're releasing the animated series Hot Wheels and Skyhawks on DVD must let you know the best thing to do is HEAD FOR THE HILLS! The shock wave originating from my house will make the shock wave that originated from my house in 2002 (People across the street heard my shout clearly from INSIDE their houses when I read that the Gerry Anderson "Supermarionation" series Thunderbirds was being released on DVD) :eek: look like a whisper! :rolling-smiley:This was the first DVD box set of a complete series I purchased. My first show was a "Grail Show", and I was at the store (Best Buy for the record) when it open the day it was released.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Thunderbirds introduced me to that marvelous genre called Science Fiction after my after-school fix of Bozo The Clown was botched up when President Lyndon B. Johnson scheduled a news conference on an autumn day in 1965 :angry:. Checking the channels I stumbled across this show which was broadcast from a Canadian TV Station. My eyes beheld the sight of puppets flying spaceships and operating strange gadgets. You know something? I LIKE! :D Many science-fiction shows have come and gone in the years since this show first aired, but the T-Birds still a place in my heart, and from time to time I'll relive my childhood and break out this set along with many other shows that ran every afternoon when I came home from school. Sometimes I wonder what it would look like if DVDs were available when I was still a kid. One thing thing would happen for sure. My parents would most likely forbid me from watching any show until my Homework assignments were finished. :laugh:

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Bad news about the planned ClassicFlix release of Lock-Up.

They originally announced a Season 1 release of Lock-Up at the same time as they announced a complete series set for It's About Time. Since It's About Time is now out, I decided to search for a possible update. This morning I found it on the ClassicFlix Facebook page. Someone recently asked them for an update, and they gave the following response on 7/27:

"Major issues with deteriorated elements...It's on hold for now."

The same person then asked them if they were considering any other "vintage TV series" for release in the future. Their response:

"Not at the moment."

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicFlix/posts/10155584471084268

Disappointing, but if they are actively trying to resolve issues, then a temporary delay is for the best. I'm not familiar enough with ClassicFlix to know how committed they are to dealing with deteriorated elements compared to, for example, WAC, where you know they will work to resolve such issues and release a show if at all possible. Hopefully this current "on hold for now" isn't permanent. I didn't have an interest in getting It's About Time but had planned to purchase Lock-Up as a blind buy.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Bad news about the planned ClassicFlix release of Lock-Up.

They originally announced a Season 1 release of Lock-Up at the same time as they announced a complete series set for It's About Time. Since It's About Time is now out, I decided to search for a possible update. This morning I found it on the ClassicFlix Facebook page. Someone recently asked them for an update, and they gave the following response on 7/27:

"Major issues with deteriorated elements...It's on hold for now."

The same person then asked them if they were considering any other "vintage TV series" for release in the future. Their response:

"Not at the moment."

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicFlix/posts/10155584471084268

Disappointing, but if they are actively trying to resolve issues, then a temporary delay is for the best. I'm not familiar enough with ClassicFlix to know how committed they are to dealing with deteriorated elements compared to, for example, WAC, where you know they will work to resolve such issues and release a show if at all possible. Hopefully this current "on hold for now" isn't permanent. I didn't have an interest in getting It's About Time but had planned to purchase Lock-Up as a blind buy.

I have all of the Lock Ups from 16mm prints that I transferred years ago but it would be nice to get them from 35mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks