What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (4 Viewers)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Tooncy said:
As far as I can tell the original theme song isn't even included in the reruns on TV.
Right it hasn't been included for years probably as a cost cutting measure .But Timeless could still make a deal to include it. I'll be buying regardless, but I'm hoping .

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
The TV Show On DVD site announced today that The Real Mc Coys will be released MOD this fall. No mention as to whether these will be replicated disc or DVD-Rs.

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
LouA said:
Yes and hopefully with the original song by Johnny Cash . Timeless didn't license the theme for Yancy Derringer and used the generic syndicated theme instead. These old westerns aren't as much fun without the theme songs which were, after all, a part of the show.
I can't believe that they did not license the theme to this show. The theme was quaint and described the period of old New Orleans of the 1820's. That was the main reason I wanted so much to own this show as I remembered watching this on old black and white tv a thousand years ago. I'm still debating whether to purchase this or not. I do remember enjoying the episodes.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I noticed that Amazon has the complete The Untouchables series for $134.40 as a deal of the week. That is a pretty good deal for anyone that hasn't picked it up yet.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
David Weicker said:
It appears that S4 is coming to both France and to the UK
Thanks for correcting my correction! I hope all seasons eventually come to the US.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if S!F/TMG might consider an anthology series that served as a weekly history lesson in 1963-64, I'm talking about "The Great Adventure" on CBS. All kinds of episodes set in different periods of U.S. History, even there were western episodes, and a two-parter starring Peter Graves as frontiersman Daniel Boone, of course before the Fess Parker series about Boone that came along beginning in the fall of 1964 on NBC and running for six seasons.
There are no tape transfers nor 16mm prints (that I'm aware of) available on this show so it would have to be from the original 35mm negatives, which are probably buried deep in CBS's vaults. Not impossible but certainly not likely.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Neil Brock said:
There are no tape transfers nor 16mm prints (that I'm aware of) available on this show so it would have to be from the original 35mm negatives, which are probably buried deep in CBS's vaults. Not impossible but certainly not likely.
But I've seen a video on YT of The Great Adventure's opening/closing credits. It looked like a videotape transfer and it probably on a cable channel. There's also a complete episode with original commercials, so look it up on YT.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
But I've seen a video on YT of The Great Adventure's opening/closing credits. It looked like a videotape transfer and it probably on a cable channel. There's also a complete episode with original commercials, so look it up on YT.
TV Land in its early days ran one episode that they got from the Museum of Broadcasting. And there are a handful of episodes that circulate amongst collectors. Not sure but I think I have around a half dozen or so shows. But CBS does not have any useable elements and would have to go to their negatives.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
More info of the Danny Kaye Show release; listing says 300 min, with guests Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Gene Kelly, Art Carney, Rod Serling, Liza Minelli, a certain perennial 39-year-old comedy legend, and more! Because MVD were behind the Kaye Christmas DVD release, it sounds like this is in cooperation with Kaye's daughter Dena. It says this release is 6 uncut shows from various years.Less than $20, so I'm in...http://mvdb2b.com/s/DannyKayeTheBestOfTheDannyKayeShow/MVD6505D

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
As I recall though didn't the last release have botched encoding, turning things into a kinescopey look?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Jack P said:
As I recall though didn't the last release have botched encoding, turning things into a kinescopey look?
My recollection is that the encoding originally caused certain parts of the shows on the Christmas set to be skipped over. This was fixed by the time I purchased the set, which is great. The only kinescope related complaints I heard is with regard to the lost Jack Benny set with the complaint being that Shout took kinescopes and tried to make them look like film. Although I'd really like a second Danny Kaye Christmas set, I will get this.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
You can't make a kinescope look like film because a kinescope *is* a film look already. I'm talking about the complaints that the previous Kaye release made the videotape quality look like a kinescope which happened also in the BCI release of "Password" and the original S7 Shout release of "All In The Family."

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Jack P said:
You can't make a kinescope look like film because a kinescope *is* a film look already. I'm talking about the complaints that the previous Kaye release made the videotape quality look like a kinescope which happened also in the BCI release of "Password" and the original S7 Shout release of "All In The Family."
Of course a kinescope is a film, but it is a film of a television monitor, and I at least don't think it looks as good as a show filmed directly (like I Love Lucy). Anyway, the argument about the Jack Benny set is here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/324456-problem-with-the-new-jack-benny-program-dvd-set/?hl= jack benny lost episodes. As I look back on it, I am not sure what the technical problem was with the Jack Benny set. In the thread, someone raises that there was an issue with the Danny Kaye set of taking a videotaped show and trying to make it look like film, but I don't know whether that criticism was valid. Personally, I find these old variety shows are best to have in the background while doing things around the house and so relatively small quality problems do not bother me. The Danny Kaye Christmas set was terrific.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
cwilli said:
I can't believe that they did not license the theme to this show. The theme was quaint and described the period of old New Orleans of the 1820's. That was the main reason I wanted so much to own this show as I remembered watching this on old black and white tv a thousand years ago. I'm still debating whether to purchase this or not. I do remember enjoying the episodes.
It's a good show - worth owning . The episodes seem to be complete, and the transfers are good so the only problem is the lack of the theme song. With these 1950's shows, some of the charm is lost when they don't use the original theme songs which we so closely identify with the programs.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
It's a good show - worth owning . The episodes seem to be complete, and the transfers are good so the only problem is the lack of the theme song. With these 1950's shows, some of the charm is lost when they don't use the original theme songs which we so closely identify with the programs.
Which is why sometimes even when a show comes out on DVD, you should keep your old copies from film transfers or off-air.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Neil Brock said:
Which is why sometimes even when a show comes out on DVD, you should keep your old copies from film transfers or off-air.
Very true, but Yancy Derringer has been airing in syndicated prints without the theme song since the 1970s - before the days of VCRs . Those syndicated prints are cut, so Timeless did YD fans a great service by releasing complete shows even if the theme song is missing .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks