Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I'd buy all of those. As it stands there's a small chance that Our Miss Brooks could get a release via a "non-fantasy " outlet. The others don't seem to have much of a chance. Funny how shows that were so popular back in the day are largely forgotten now . I mean, Gale Storm , Bob Cummings and Spring Byington were household words back then but are barely remembered these day except by people like us . I hope you get your billion and move ahead with your plan !!

Ron1973 likes this.
  2. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Thanks for the pep talk, Neil. I'll get right on that suggestion of yours. Let me just find Mark Cuban's number here on my cell phone... :rolleyes:

Gary "which billionaire should I contact to get Waterfront and Doctor Christian released?" O.

Silverking and Ron1973 like this.
  3. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

4. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Welcome back! Haven't seen your posts for a while.

5. ScottDombrowski

ScottDombrowski Second Unit

Scott
    Okay, sorry, but you're calling someone out for making sarcastic comments? While I admire your extensive knowledge of TV shows, I feel that most of the comments you make here are sarcastic and/or condescending, including your so-called helpful suggestion.

6. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Personally, I think the chances are probably better that one of us HTF b/w enthusiasts will hit the lottery or win a sweepstakes so as to fund our own dreams rather than us calling up a billionaire and convincing him/her to acquire and release an obscure 50's TV series. But whatever.

Gary " :D " O.

7. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    And unfortunately the chances of one us B&W enthusiasts getting a billion are probably only a little smaller than some of these shows getting releases.

Silverking, Ron1973 and Gary OS like this.
  8. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Second Unit

James Beer
    If you're looking for an obscure 50s series, go to the Me-TV website, for they'll have "Code 3", a crime-drama anthology, in pristine quality prints!

9. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    Good news guys. I was hanging with Warren Buffet for an early breakfast this AM and he told me to just make a list of shows I wanted and I would have them on official releases by the end of business Thursday. He elaborated that he he appreciated my efforts to give him an investment opportunity as he almost NEVER hears from anyone wanting him to back them. Who would have thought he was such a fan of T.H.E. Cat. Just a little fun this morn.

Ron1973 and ScottDombrowski like this.
  10. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
  11. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
  12. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
  13. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Yes. That's why it was so discouraging to many of us when we heard about the Shout takeover. We knew what that would eventually mean for Timeless. And our fears have pretty much been confirmed as we've seen fewer and fewer of the type of releases he personally oversaw because he was a fan of old westerns.

Gary "that's definitely been a sad development" O.

14. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I'm fortunately one person who thinks my horizons have been sufficiently broadened in westerns. When the last season of "Big Valley" comes out that's likely to be the last one I'll ever want to purchase (unless Warners gives us "The Alaskans" since I'd like to see more of Roger Moore's work in his US contract player days).Even though I only have a handful of B/W grail titles left, I'm more than willing to sample other titles that are from genres other than westerns if they were released. I'm still keeping a close eye on what Warner will do in the future and I think by the end of next year we'll have seen more movement in that area.

15. Silverking

Silverking Stunt Coordinator

Chris Street
    Gary is quite correct that the former president of Timeless was a fan of old TV westerns & wanted to get as many as possible out there for other fans to enjoy. Don't think he was a complete philanthropist though and obviously believed there was profit to be made, which presumably there was, judging by what they brought out.

Some years ago I saw a list of Timeless westerns that they were hoping to release subject to obtaining rights, elements & so forth. It included 'Trackdown' (which has just been mentioned in another thread) but that one & several others never appeared, though a lot did, so I assume they couldn't clear that one.

A few months prior to the Shout takeover I saw a further list of more westerns they hoped to acquire, one quite rare one they had even got as far as tracking down a set of prints. I know they also wanted to re-release 'Laramie' with better prints of the colour episodes. None of these series happened so I guess Shout had different ideas.

ChrisALM, Professor Echo and Gary OS like this.
  16. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Yep. I was really looking forward to seeing Trackdown, which as you mentioned was indeed on their radar. So were things like The Gray Ghost, Casey Jones, Kodiak, Hec Ramsey, and The Dakotas, among others. To be clear, I'm not saying the Shout takeover resulted in all those series not being released. That's not at all true. Some never materialized way before that. But Timeless did have some brands in the fire before the "merger", and it looks like some of those have been dropped. The only one I'm still holding out a sliver of hope for is The Rebel. But I'm not sure even with that one.

Gary "we'll just have to wait and see" O.

LouA likes this.
  17. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    Kodiak and Hec Ramsey are two I would have loved to see released, mainly because of my fondness for Cheyene and Have Gun Will Travel, but I never thought it would happen. Even if they had a slim chance with Timeless I'm sorry to hear that disappeared with the merger.

18. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    It just shows how much we needed Timeless in the business of releasing DVDs. They really went where no other company was willing to go. I am thankful we were able to get so many good B/W series from them.
    A brighter note for me is the releases by Warners of their early westerns. I'm picking up Sugarfoot and Bronco and hoping we will see more from their catalog - including the detective shows from that era.

Jack K likes this.
  19. MCCLOUD

MCCLOUD Second Unit

Robert
    Hey Gary! Is the 1974 Clint Walker TV Show Kodiak owned by Warner Brothers as the Internet Movie Database claims? Is there any news of the Warner Archives releasing Kodiak this year or next year? Thanks!

Robert

Gary OS likes this.
  20. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I like all of those shows (except Kodiak which I never saw) and I would have bought them all even Kodiak if Timeless released them. Gray Ghost is one of my all time favorites. I even started a Forum for it here at HTF. It ran back to back with Casey Jones here in the New York area on WPIX Channel 11 back in the early 1960s. BTW I 'd be very interested in Kodiak now thanks to Warner Bros. Archives releasing all the seasons of Cheyenne which I've become a big fan of . Maybe WBA will release it too.

Jack K, Randy Korstick and Gary OS like this.