Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Sometimes I disagree with you, but I don't have any trouble with your posts or those of any other long time member. Sometimes we get someone who only wants to make negative comments, but they never seem to stay for long.

2. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Here's the big B&W news of the day, the return of Zane Grey Theater: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Zane-Grey-Theater-Season-2/19686. Since Timeless/Shout is now issuing the second season of a show the first season of which was issued by VCI, I am hoping this patter will be repeated with another highly desired B&W show.

Ron1973 and Lee Smith like this.
  3. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I agree - the thread simply would'nt be the same without him .

Ron1973 likes this.
  4. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Excellant news! Let's keep our fingers crossed that there will be more releases in the future, if not from Timeless, than from VCI ,Schanachie, TGG, Warner Archives , or Mill Creek .

What I'm hoping for now, is a Small company to specialize in some of the older sitcoms that lasted for years (My Little Margie , December Bride , Our Miss Brooks , Burns And Allen , People's Choice, Love That Bob etc ). These small companies don't have thier own films and shows so they need to license them , like Olive films has done with vintage movies. It may never happen , but I'm always hopeful.

5. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    This is good news - although one episode will not be on the set for legal reasons. Anybody know what that is all about?

6. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Second Unit

James Beer
    It is an episode titled "The Sharpshooter", starring Chuck Connors which was a pilot for "The Rifleman" series, and Four Star had its half-ownership in that series bought out by Levy-Gardner-Laven Productions some 40 years ago. You can find it in its original ZGT version in the Rifleman S1 DVD set, directly from LGL.

Mike*HTF likes this.
  7. ChrisALM

Chris
    Thanks, oldtvshowbuff, at least there is a way to get the episode. I will eventually be getting the Rifleman Season 1 set.

8. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    After taking several days to think about it, and read the comments left by others here, I've decided it would be wrong to let one bad apple chase me away. I really do love B & W TV shows and enjoy discussing them with my friends here. I especially want to thank those of you who took time to write some words of encouragement. Folks like Jeff, Brad, Glen, Steve, Regulus, Mark, David, Leo, John, Ron, Rob, Chris, Jack P (who took one on the chin while defending me) and all the others who clicked "like" on a supportive post. It is greatly appreciated.

Gary "now back to your regularly scheduled program" O. :)

9. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter

Rob Ray
    It's great to have you back, Gary.

Rob "I couldn't imagine this thread without you" Ray

10. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Cinematographer

Mark
    Welcome Home Gary!

I a very glad you changed your mind. I always try to look for some good that might come out of a bad experience.

People now see that HTF as Robert stated has rules. This time consequences may and I say may have come with certain members bad behavior.

I hope that this may be the start of a new day. Members respecting each others opinion's on all threads. 99% of us members do. Now perhaps that 1% will begin to change to 100%.

11. ChrisALM

Chris
    Welcome back, Gary!
    This thread has been a great place for discussing B/W television shows.
    You belong here.

Gary OS likes this.
  12. ChrisALM

Chris
    Your post has brought me to thinking about my collection and how much B/W television material I have - and I really don't know the answer to that.
    Guess I'll have to get to work and figure it out.
    And a big thanks to Timeless for what I do have.

Gary OS likes this.
  13. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    Glad you decided to return, Gary! Now before the brass band plays again, quickly check out my separate thread about an underhanded move from the Warner Archive. It's not about a black and white show, but it speaks volumes about trusting the Warner Archive too much.

Gary OS likes this.
  14. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Thanks for all the welcome backs. You guys are the best! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Gary "not leaving this thread again" O.

EdG, LeoA, Steve...O and 9 others like this.
  15. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    Welcome Back Gary. :cheers:

LeoA and Gary OS like this.
  16. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I don't understand people, I really don't. Disappointment is a part of life no matter it be bad weather or our favorite show never seeing the light of day on DVD. Some people take it to an extreme, though. For instance, our local weatherman was cussed because he got a prediction wrong on winter weather; never mind the guy's been spot-on on most of his stuff. This was from a bread delivery man nonetheless, someone who should be familiar with mistakes happening from time to time or things changing beyond what we have a capability to control. For some reason it brings out the worst in people and they lash out at others to take care of their frustration. ;)

I continue to hope the situation may turn itself around. I can remember in the 80's not being able to find replacements for 45's and 78's that had got broken. Now with little problem I'm able to replace almost any song I've ever had via CD or mp3 download. I hold out hope the TVODVD will be the same in the future.

17. Silverking

Silverking Stunt Coordinator

Chris Street
    Sent an email to Timeless more or less questioning their slowdown of classic releases & quoted a few Four Star & Ziv series I would like to see them release. Had a polite reply saying their old website was being incorporated into the Shout site & said they would pass on my suggestions to their acquistions department.Probably pointless exercise but at least they acknowledged it.

Gary OS and Ron1973 like this.
  18. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Glad you sent that email, Chris. And I'm glad you got a reply, even if it wasn't exactly what any of us would have hoped for. I guess it's just kind of obvious by now that unless a miracle takes place we can expect more of the same going forward. Too bad.

On a more cheerful note, I've been thinking about which b/w series we might see next. These are the ones I can remember that we've either heard rumors about, or we know are in some way, shape or form being worked on:

Ozzie & Harriet - I'm not sure we are ever going to see this series actually get released (at least in its entirety), but I'll keep hoping.

The Rebel - heard rumors of this one from Timeless for a long, long time now. Again, keeping my fingers crossed.

Gunsmoke - I'd hope this one isn't stalled. We'll see what the future holds.

Death Valley Days - who knows? We can only hope.

Our Miss Brooks - CBS Syndication Library says the 1st season is being remastered. Maybe a dvd release is coming.

The Dakotas - seems like someone said WBA would be doing this, but with no date announced yet. Not sure if that's correct though.

Sgt Bilko - complete set already up for pre-order in R2. I've heard the R1 is coming, but it's not been announced officially yet so we'll have to wait it out a bit longer.

WB Series - probably more of Sugarfoot, Kildare, etc coming down the pike. At this point I'd like to see some series (like the one above) that haven't been on air recently. I've seen most of the more popular WB westerns on Encore in recent years, so I'd like to see something more rare. We'll see.

Anything else that I'm missing? I'm not talking about officially announced stuff like Rawhide S8, but things we think might be coming but don't have a date on yet.

Gary "would love to see some of the rare stuff from the 50's/60's that hasn't been in syndication in a while" O.

19. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    Half the fun of this hobby is anticipating what may be released next. every year since I began this hobby there's always been AT LEAST one TV Series (Including "Grail Series") the naysayers keep saying "This show will NEVER released of "Issues" such as Music, "PC" Problems, Multiple ownership and such, then lo and behold that series is coming out on DVD! This year Three such shows are about to be released on DVD later this year, Batman, The Wonder Years and Death Valley Days. (Yes I Know, the first two aren't in Black and White, but examples were needed, so I used them. So sit back, take a chill pill and hang loose, there's always something around the corner waiting for us to discover.

20. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I didn't know Death Valley Days was confirmed for this year?

Gary "great news if it is" O.