What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (7 Viewers)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Gary OS said:
Okay, I'm going to make Lugoff (among others) very happy today. I bid farewell to the thread that I started so as not to weary anyone any longer. Nothing is worse than overstaying one's welcome, so I'm done. Have your parade now.

Gary "let the confetti and balloons drop" O.

P.S. As I walk out the door I just want to call a couple of things to attention concerning the thread. First, the title is a question, not a statement of fact. I asked a couple of years ago "if" we were seeing the demise of b/w titles. Second, I specifically used the word "slowly", as opposed to "immediately" or "quickly". Some seem to be arguing that since there are still some b/w releases that my comments are off base. But the opposite is true, imho. Just saying. Okay, now I'm done.
Sometimes I disagree with you, but I don't have any trouble with your posts or those of any other long time member. Sometimes we get someone who only wants to make negative comments, but they never seem to stay for long.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
ChrisALM said:
I hope Gary will reconsider and return to this thread.
I always enjoy reading his posts, they are insightful and provide information that I often do not receive anywhere else.
I agree - the thread simply would'nt be the same without him .

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
JoeDoakes said:
Here's the big B&W news of the day, the return of Zane Grey Theater: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Zane-Grey-Theater-Season-2/19686. Since Timeless/Shout is now issuing the second season of a show the first season of which was issued by VCI, I am hoping this patter will be repeated with another highly desired B&W show.
Excellant news! Let's keep our fingers crossed that there will be more releases in the future, if not from Timeless, than from VCI ,Schanachie, TGG, Warner Archives , or Mill Creek .

What I'm hoping for now, is a Small company to specialize in some of the older sitcoms that lasted for years (My Little Margie , December Bride , Our Miss Brooks , Burns And Allen , People's Choice, Love That Bob etc ). These small companies don't have thier own films and shows so they need to license them , like Olive films has done with vintage movies. It may never happen , but I'm always hopeful.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
JoeDoakes said:
Here's the big B&W news of the day, the return of Zane Grey Theater: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Zane-Grey-Theater-Season-2/19686. Since Timeless/Shout is now issuing the second season of a show the first season of which was issued by VCI, I am hoping this patter will be repeated with another highly desired B&W show.
This is good news - although one episode will not be on the set for legal reasons. Anybody know what that is all about?

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
ChrisALM said:
This is good news - although one episode will not be on the set for legal reasons. Anybody know what that is all about?
It is an episode titled "The Sharpshooter", starring Chuck Connors which was a pilot for "The Rifleman" series, and Four Star had its half-ownership in that series bought out by Levy-Gardner-Laven Productions some 40 years ago. You can find it in its original ZGT version in the Rifleman S1 DVD set, directly from LGL.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Thanks, oldtvshowbuff, at least there is a way to get the episode. I will eventually be getting the Rifleman Season 1 set.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
After taking several days to think about it, and read the comments left by others here, I've decided it would be wrong to let one bad apple chase me away. I really do love B & W TV shows and enjoy discussing them with my friends here. I especially want to thank those of you who took time to write some words of encouragement. Folks like Jeff, Brad, Glen, Steve, Regulus, Mark, David, Leo, John, Ron, Rob, Chris, Jack P (who took one on the chin while defending me) and all the others who clicked "like" on a supportive post. It is greatly appreciated.

Gary "now back to your regularly scheduled program" O. :)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Welcome Home Gary!

I a very glad you changed your mind. I always try to look for some good that might come out of a bad experience.

People now see that HTF as Robert stated has rules. This time consequences may and I say may have come with certain members bad behavior.

I hope that this may be the start of a new day. Members respecting each others opinion's on all threads. 99% of us members do. Now perhaps that 1% will begin to change to 100%.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Regulus said:
Not as long as I'm alive! Nearly 1/3 of my collection is in Beautiful Black and White. Long Live Black and White!!!
Your post has brought me to thinking about my collection and how much B/W television material I have - and I really don't know the answer to that.
Guess I'll have to get to work and figure it out.
And a big thanks to Timeless for what I do have.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Glad you decided to return, Gary! Now before the brass band plays again, quickly check out my separate thread about an underhanded move from the Warner Archive. It's not about a black and white show, but it speaks volumes about trusting the Warner Archive too much.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I don't understand people, I really don't. Disappointment is a part of life no matter it be bad weather or our favorite show never seeing the light of day on DVD. Some people take it to an extreme, though. For instance, our local weatherman was cussed because he got a prediction wrong on winter weather; never mind the guy's been spot-on on most of his stuff. This was from a bread delivery man nonetheless, someone who should be familiar with mistakes happening from time to time or things changing beyond what we have a capability to control. For some reason it brings out the worst in people and they lash out at others to take care of their frustration. ;)

I continue to hope the situation may turn itself around. I can remember in the 80's not being able to find replacements for 45's and 78's that had got broken. Now with little problem I'm able to replace almost any song I've ever had via CD or mp3 download. I hold out hope the TVODVD will be the same in the future.

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
Sent an email to Timeless more or less questioning their slowdown of classic releases & quoted a few Four Star & Ziv series I would like to see them release. Had a polite reply saying their old website was being incorporated into the Shout site & said they would pass on my suggestions to their acquistions department.Probably pointless exercise but at least they acknowledged it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Glad you sent that email, Chris. And I'm glad you got a reply, even if it wasn't exactly what any of us would have hoped for. I guess it's just kind of obvious by now that unless a miracle takes place we can expect more of the same going forward. Too bad.

On a more cheerful note, I've been thinking about which b/w series we might see next. These are the ones I can remember that we've either heard rumors about, or we know are in some way, shape or form being worked on:

Ozzie & Harriet - I'm not sure we are ever going to see this series actually get released (at least in its entirety), but I'll keep hoping.

The Rebel - heard rumors of this one from Timeless for a long, long time now. Again, keeping my fingers crossed.

Gunsmoke - I'd hope this one isn't stalled. We'll see what the future holds.

Death Valley Days - who knows? We can only hope.

Our Miss Brooks - CBS Syndication Library says the 1st season is being remastered. Maybe a dvd release is coming.

The Dakotas - seems like someone said WBA would be doing this, but with no date announced yet. Not sure if that's correct though.

Sgt Bilko - complete set already up for pre-order in R2. I've heard the R1 is coming, but it's not been announced officially yet so we'll have to wait it out a bit longer.

WB Series - probably more of Sugarfoot, Kildare, etc coming down the pike. At this point I'd like to see some series (like the one above) that haven't been on air recently. I've seen most of the more popular WB westerns on Encore in recent years, so I'd like to see something more rare. We'll see.

Anything else that I'm missing? I'm not talking about officially announced stuff like Rawhide S8, but things we think might be coming but don't have a date on yet.

Gary "would love to see some of the rare stuff from the 50's/60's that hasn't been in syndication in a while" O.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Half the fun of this hobby is anticipating what may be released next. every year since I began this hobby there's always been AT LEAST one TV Series (Including "Grail Series") the naysayers keep saying "This show will NEVER released of "Issues" such as Music, "PC" Problems, Multiple ownership and such, then lo and behold that series is coming out on DVD! This year Three such shows are about to be released on DVD later this year, Batman, The Wonder Years and Death Valley Days. (Yes I Know, the first two aren't in Black and White, but examples were needed, so I used them. So sit back, take a chill pill and hang loose, there's always something around the corner waiting for us to discover.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    treed99
    Recent bookmarks