What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Unfortunately, what some of us predicted in greeting the news about the SHOUT/TIMELESS "merger" is most likely coming to pass. As far as vintage TV goes, Timeless did indeed seem to be the vision of one man and as he has now apparently retired, so too his insight, ideas and preferences for the subject are apparently fading away with him. Shout is a company that prides themselves on appearing perpetually cool and hip, even when dealing with decades old television. They have taken on shows with a ready fan base and attempted to market them as forever cool. None of which would apply to something like FRONTIER CIRCUS, so expecting a company like Shout to ever go that route would be dreaming. I get the impression from the few Shout employees I've met here in LA that they would never handle anything they couldn't pitch to their trendy friends.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Gary OS said:
Oops. You're right. It was in color. That means the last TGG b/w release was Bat Masterson S3, also in November of last year.
Wasn't the pilot in b&w or am I dreaming? Not a series I've really ever watched but would consider buying if the price was right.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Gary OS said:
One more point, in response to something Ray said:

I completely agree with this. I'm not saying there won't be any more b/w releases. Of course there will be. We agree on that. Here's to hoping some of those pleasant surprises include Ozzie & Harriet, My Three Sons (done right), The Dakotas, and so on.
I also hope you are right about those shows (especially My Three Sons b&w years done right). I have never been one who is convinced that everything in the future will be rosy. On the other hand, as you agree with me that more is likely to come, I think that this is ultimately a question of whether the glass is half full or half empty. I choose to view it as half full. It keeps me happier.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
No problems, Ray. I completely understand your position. And to encourage everyone, I will convey the fact that I just heard of a nice raindrop that should be landing sometime later this year. Nothing that's going to shock anyone. But at least it's something.

Gary "I really just want Ozzie & Harriet released, but I'm not at all convinced we'll ever see the entire run on dvd" O.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
We've been saying Black and White is over for more than 2 years but I just continue to buy and enjoy the releases as they come out. Is there a big slow down yes but are there still releases coming and more to come also yes so I will just enjoy the releases as they come and when they stop then we can all point out that they have stopped. Until then no need to worry about it. Just my 10 cents.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Slightly on a tangent).

Finally found a black & white tv show I could get into (besides the first season of Gilligan's Island).

I recently picked up The Addams Family volumes 1 to 3 dvds.

I don't know how I managed to have completely missed over this franchise when I was a kid and teenager, whether in reruns or cartoons.

I actually first got into The Addams Family when I watched the 1990's movies, which I really liked at the time.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Okay, I'm going to make Lugoff (among others) very happy today. I bid farewell to the thread that I started so as not to weary anyone any longer. Nothing is worse than overstaying one's welcome, so I'm done. Have your parade now.

Gary "let the confetti and balloons drop" O.

P.S. As I walk out the door I just want to call a couple of things to attention concerning the thread. First, the title is a question, not a statement of fact. I asked a couple of years ago "if" we were seeing the demise of b/w titles. Second, I specifically used the word "slowly", as opposed to "immediately" or "quickly". Some seem to be arguing that since there are still some b/w releases that my comments are off base. But the opposite is true, imho. Just saying. Okay, now I'm done.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Gary I don't think anyone was saying your comments aren't welcome. Some of us are glass half full and some of us are glass half empty. Nothing wrong either way. We are just sharing our feelings. I always value your comments and opinions and hope that you took no offence.
Concerning the title of the thread: I think its the end of your title that brings up conversations like this: "coming to an end" It has a final conclusion to it or fatalistic approach. I think "Are Black and White titles slowing down?" would have been a more conservative title. But again just my 10 cents.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I also don't think Gary should leave the thread, especially since it is a subject near and dear to his heart. This thread has had a lot of unnecessary emotions and personality conflicts over its long run, which is really ridiculous when you consider the subject and that we are all at least allegedly here to discuss something we enjoy. But I suppose that's the risk of any human interaction or I should say the potential risk. It's such a shame though because the idea of the thread and a lot of the conversation in it has been very positive and productive. After weathering the abysmal nadir of the thread when politics and religion were being debated, often the nadir of any conversation and one which drove me away from the thread and the TV forum for weeks, the discussion survived and continued to be enlightening. That's why I don't think Gary should leave, particularly over a skirmish with repeated, seemingly inherent curmudgeonly responses that are only there to bait a reaction. It's a sad fact of life, one we encounter all too frequently online, that some people are only happy when they're unhappy.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Professor Echo said:
I also don't think Gary should leave the thread, especially since it is a subject near and dear to his heart. This thread has had a lot of unnecessary emotions and personality conflicts over its long run, which is really ridiculous when you consider the subject and that we are all at least allegedly here to discuss something we enjoy. But I suppose that's the risk of any human interaction or I should say the potential risk.It's such a shame though because the idea of the thread and a lot of the conversation in it has been very positive and productive. After weathering the abysmal nadir of the thread when politics and religion were being debated, often the nadir of any conversation and one which drove me away from the thread and the TV forum for weeks, the discussion survived and continued to be enlightening. That's why I don't think Gary should leave, particularly over a skirmish with repeated, seemingly inherentcurmudgeonly responses that are only there to bait a reaction. It's a sad fact of life, one we encounter all too frequently online, that some people are only happy when they're unhappy.
SECONDED!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Needless to say some posts have been deleted and further disciplinary action is being considered towards a couple of members. Let's stop the bickering along with the personal attacks! Show some respect towards each other. It's really a sad commentary that members feel they have to leave a thread and that moderating action needs to take place over this particular subject matter.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
This thread is one of the most interesting threads on the forum thanks to the knowledge and love of the medium shown by the likes of Gary. He would be sorely missed by me and countless others, I'm sure. I don't post much here only because I really don't feel the need. Even though I grew up in the late 50s and through the 60s, you guys know more about classic TV than I ever did, so I just read and learn.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Rob_Ray said:
This thread is one of the most interesting threads on the forum thanks to the knowledge and love of the medium shown by the likes of Gary. He would be sorely missed by me and countless others, I'm sure. I don't post much here only because I really don't feel the need. Even though I grew up in the late 50s and through the 60s, you guys know more about classic TV than I ever did, so I just read and learn.
Yeah, exactly how I think. I wasn't around to catch the "good ole days" in their original format, especially the 50's and 60's stuff and had to catch them in re-runs as a kid in the 70's and 80's. Gary's knowledge about this stuff absolutely is enough to blow one away!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have never posted here but read it often. I took a quick look today and read that another one of those attacks has taken place and on my good friend Gary.I am glad I missed all that was posted. I always refuse to read negative attacks on a HTF Members posts. The whole thing revolts me. I wait return to thread or in some cases not return to it at all. I am glad at least here at HTF the posts are deleted as soon as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks