Is the ASUS TUSI-M motherboard any good? I can't find any reviews.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AllenD, Mar 3, 2002.

1. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

The out-laws would like me to build them a SOHO system on a budget. I know ASUS makes good products. (I use one for my HTPC and it's solid.) I'm not familiar with the SiS 630ET chipset the mobo uses. Is the mobo altogether reliable? I tried looking for reviews but found none. You can see the specs at MWAVE.COM. At $60 w/audio, LAN, VGA out, and MWAVE being only 20 mins. away it really fits the budget. [​IMG] The only drawbacks that I can see is it doesn't have an AGP slot and it only has one IDE channel. [​IMG] Oh well. The out-laws will need a new mobo if they want to play QUAKE 3 in the future. [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

If they need a box for web browsing, an office suite, and solitaire, then that motherboard is a great buy. In my experiences, SiS chipsets have solid drivers, are easy to setup, and super-cheap.

They will obviously have problems if they want to play any games outside of the simple ones; an Nvidia NForce based motherboard would solve that problem, but at twice the price.

3. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Hi Masood,
    Thanks for the input. If I could pick you brain for a little bit more, I'd really appreciate it.
    Check out the hardware list below. Do you think a 145W power supply will suffice for SOHO use?
    Thanks!
    CREATIVE LABS MODEM BLASTER 56K V.90 PCI
    ASUS TUSI-M SIS 630ET CHIPSET ULTRA ATA100 MICRO ATX FORM FACTOR
    MULTIWAVE 32X64 PC133 256MB CL3 SDRAM DIMM (LIFETIME WARRANTY)
    IN-WIN V500 MINI TOWER W/145W MICRO ATX POWER SUPPLY
    INTEL CELERON 1.0A GHZ FC-PGA2 RETAILED W/COOLING FAN
    MAXTOR 20.0GB EIDE ULTRA-ATA100 9.5NS 5400RPM (Bare drive)
    CREATIVE LABS CDRW 8432 32X-READ/8X-RECORD/4X-REWRITE 2MB EIDE INT REWRITABLE W/SW
    Sub Total $386.00 [​IMG]

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

With prices the way they are now, I would get them a 300W just to be on the safe side.

5. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

A quality 145W PSU should have no problem with that config. Many uATX PSUs are 150W or less, but they run basic configs just fine.

6. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Thanks, Kelley and Masood! [​IMG] I'll have them read this thread and let them decide what they want.