What's new

Is the Anthem AVM-20 the best A/V Pre/Pro under $5k (1 Viewer)

RichardMA

Second Unit
The latest "Perfect Vision" magazine described
the processor as being incredibly capable as far
as adjustability goes, wouldn't hesistate to recommend
it, but that it's presentation at the low and high
frequencies was "laid back" and somewhat lacking in
detail. To me, that says "warm" which is a typical
audiophile requirement. I'd prefer what audiophiles
describe as "Analytic" which might mean the Bryston
unit instead.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Richard, with all the suggestions bandied about in this thread, WHICH processor are you taking about that was featured in the Perfect Vision? The AVM-20, the Meridian or something else? You lost me.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Evan,

It must be a Meridian that Richard is talking about because the last thing I would describe the AVM-20 as would be "laid back" and "lacking in detail". I have more detail and high frequency response with the AVM-20 than I did with the Lexicon MC-1, which I would not call "laid back".

If it is the AVM-20 he is talking about, then based on "Perfect Vision's" article (I haven't read it myself), then the AVM-20 probably isn't for him. Also, this would be the first "review" that has described the AVM-20 as "laid back" and "lacking in detail".

Michael

Camp

Senior HTF Member
His quotes sound like the Perfect Vision review of the AVM-20.
It is a review typical of todays horrible audio magazines. 1200 words of some guy trying to describe what he hears with more adjectives per paragraph than should be allowed. Features are almost totally skipped and in the end you can't really tell if it was a good review, bad review or somewhere in between.

RichardMA

Second Unit
"Richard, with all the suggestions bandied about in this thread, WHICH processor are you taking about that was featured in the Perfect Vision? The AVM-20, the Meridian or something else? You lost me. "

The AVM-20. The other poster said features were
not discussed and this is not true. The writer compared
(not directly unfortunately) the AVM-20 with the B&K REF 30
and the Integra RDA-7.
I do not like "audiophile" terminology. To me, first
you describe exactly what detail your heard relative
to another processor and then describe what the detail
sounded like. Most of the terms they use to describe
sound should come with bracketed description!

BruceD

Screenwriter
Myryad MDP500 feature set doesn't seem to be keeping up too well with current technology. From the online manual:

1) No DPL-II, only DPL-I and cheesy music modes
2) Forces all analog inputs through an additional ADC-DAC cycle
3) speaker distance delays can only be set for the Centre, Right Surround and Left Surround speakers.
4) No mention of chipsets for Digital Processing or DACs.
5) Less than steller S/N ratios for analog (90dB A weighted)

Robert Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Forget all these vague, subjective, totally non-accurate descriptions of sound. What is 'laid-back', 'very detailed', yada yada yada? You guys reading some kind of poetry book? The only question when you hit $4K is which one is the purty one. You know its kinda like call girls - they all provide the same service more or less but you choose the purtiest one. Anyone with a sense of aestheics realizes the Bryston is the sexy machine here. Ya better have an enclosed cabinet or a dark room for those other boxes with buttons. :D

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Interesting analogy. I'll remember that next time I caress the remote. ;)
The Bryston is quite attractive but there's something about the Anthem that does it for me.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Robert, finally an analogy we all get! :D Going on that theory, although it is a very hard choice, the sexiest is the Theta or the Krell (just for those rounded corners) :emoji_thumbsup: I personally think the Stage One is the sexiest of all, but its not on the list for service... er... comparison.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Interesting analogy but not quite right IMO. I guessing that the "purty" gals don't cost more (or do they? ;)). If it's assumed that the costs and looks....I mean...sound quality are the same, of course, looks will play a much bigger role.

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
I have a lot of respect for Brian Florian because of his down to earth assistance he has offered to many on these boards, including myself when I started learning this stuff. For those who may have missed it, Brian's review of the AVM-20 can be found here:
Link Removed
I can't afford a pre/pro just now (champagne taste, beer budget), but this unit is the first I am going to audition. I've heard that it can be had for about $3000 CND, and I don't think anything can touch it at that price.

WaltC

Agent
Any ideas where in Ontario Canada it can be had for $3000 CDN? (list $4500)Is this a normal mark-up?
How about an MCA 50 is that a good match? Any ideas on what that may cost? :) :)

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
A poster in another thread referenced audioreview.com where Canadians say they purchased AVM-20's for $2700 and $3000 in Ottawa and Montreal. Considering the source, these prices could be suspect. I guess I'm hoping they are correct.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Last I checked the AVM20 listed for $4500 Canadian or around $2900 US with the exchange rate before taxes. So I would expect that 30% off would be a pretty good deal at $2000 US before any tax. But since the demand seems to be relatively high for the Anthems that discount may be more difficult to get.

Wayne, if you come across any dealers willing to sell the AVM20 for under $3K Canadian in ON, Quebec, or NS please email me - Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks