What's new

Is The African Queen slated for 2003 release? (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I know African Queen has been released for R2 but the imminent R1 release has never seen a definite date to my knowledge. Does anyone out there have any info on it?
It seems a shame that a classic of this magnitude has received so little attention around here. The studios could very well be under the impression that it wouldn't sell as well as some of the marginal stuff being released lately.
Joel

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Who owns the US home-video rights? Is it Warner? I'm really surprised that it hasn't appeared yet. I have the region 2 edition from Carlton - the transfer's not bad, clean, but the colour is a little faded though. Has there ever been a refurbishment or 'restoration' of the film? Was there a Laserdisc? Hmmm...

Gordy

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
MGM owns this, and it probably needs a restoration, and MGM probably doesn't have enough money to restore it at the moment...do you want another Exodus?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It looks like MGM would be the studio who would release the DVD.

Since The African Queen was filmed via 3-strip Technicolor rather than Eastmancolor, a DVD could possibly look fantastic. It's just a matter of using better elements rather than use a poorly preserved print such as The Quiet Man as Artisan did.

With the Ultra-Resolution process WB has invented, there really is no excuse for using some beat-up print for a 3-strip film.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
That Fox Laserdisc sounds great. What was the transfer like?

I think we'll see The African Queen sooner rather than later and I hope it's a great DVD edition.

Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread