What's new

Is the 3803 clearly superior to the Elite 53TX (1 Viewer)

ToddP

Stunt Coordinator
and the H/K 525? I've found them all for around the same price online (the H/K for a little less than the others), but I'm not sure which to go with. They all seem to have similar features, including line outs so they could be used as a pre/pro later on. I like the auto calibration on the Elite, as it's supposed to be very good and very accurate. I've always been impressed with Denon's quality, and a lot of people around here have had very good things to say about H/K.

I guess I'm looking for informed comments about these components, and opinions on which you would buy right now if you were on the market. Thanks for your help.

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
A really good buddy of mine has the Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX and it is a really great unit, lots of features and the setup on it is really cool. The 45 and 53 are basically the same thing or to put it another way Pioneer re-badged the 45 of last year and made it a 53 this year.

I have heard great things about the Denon 3803 as well. I am sure the HK is not a bad unit either.

John S

Senior HTF Member
If you can get out and demo them, buy the one you think sounds the best... After all, sound is what it is really all about. Preamp sections seem fairly on par with each other in these price ranges. But power amp characteristics can vary greatly from unit to unit.

Not even talking performance here, but actual tonal differences. I tend to favor Denon power amps as far as sound goes, but many find the highs to smooth so to speak. Your ears perference should take precdence once you have narrowed it down as far as you have. Otherwise choices like this can drive a guy or gal for that matter to the brink of insanity.. lol

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
My opinion, go and listen to them in a store. If you cannot compare all three at once, at least you can demo the features and get a feel for which you think would sound best in your room. I went with a Elite 45tx over both Denon and HK. I suppose if I had to take one of the other two it would be more of a decision as the HK has Logic 7, but as a downside for me also has a fan. The Denon performs well enough sonically, if not a bit too mellow, but looks very plain and usually goes for a higher street price than the other two, although I guess you have solved that part:)

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think I like Denon amps, becasue I primarily listen to jazz, and Denon power amps go a long way to making horns sound sweet instead of brash, especialy because for whatever reason, recording engineers seem to be insistant on putting the horns so out front.

You chose the Elite for the same reason so many stay away from Denon, and the very same reason I love em!!!!

That is great really, as I still believe the ear just as you seem to also believe should have the last word on purchases.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
A big part of choosing the receiver is what speakers you will match with it. I had Energy XL speakers, which some think are "bright", so I balanced them with the Denon which is smooth.

Works well for me ! What are you hooking up ?

ToddP

Stunt Coordinator
Works well for me ! What are you hooking up ?
I have Infinity Interludes all around. Mains are IL40, surrounds are IL10s, sub is IL100. My center is older, an Infinity CC-3.

I had pretty much narrowed it down to the Elite 53TX and the 3803. However, no dealer near me carries both. Both dealers I go to carry Yamaha however, so I was trying to use the same receiver as a comparison basis. In the process the RX-V2400 seems to have crept into the contest. Is anyone using the 2400?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The only issue I have with Pioneer is there previous years receivers had issues with low impedence speakers and tend to shut down at reasonable volumes. The MACC is awful tempting though.

I plan on considering them both early next year.

John S

Senior HTF Member
ToddP, I never heard a 2400, but my friend has the 5900 and it does not get enough credit in the industry. Nice piece of equipment.

ToddP

Stunt Coordinator
The nice thing about the 2400 is it's Yamaha's first 7.1 offering (along with the 1400), and they have their own auto calibration to match Pioneer now. It's their YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer). If anyone has experience with this yet, i'd love to hear about it. I wonder how it's accuracy compares to the MCACC from Pioneer.

RonW

Grip
Hi,

I have demoed both the 53, the 3803, the hk 525 , the hk 7200, the rotel 1055 . I bought the Denon. To me i thought the Denon sounded the best and also did the best decoding. I have B&W speakers and the clarity, soundstage and overall tone of the Denon pleased me the most. By the way I highly recommend demoing them in your home. Most places have 30 day in home trials and hearing the piece in your home is a great way to test it out.

Good luck to you.

Ron

David Judah

Screenwriter
The only issue I have with Pioneer is there previous years receivers had issues with low impedence speakers and tend to shut down at reasonable volumes
The problem was an overly conservative protection circuit, not an underpowered amp issue, which has been fixed.

Todd, the 2400 is impressive--very clean sounding. I didn't have a chance to fully put the YPAO through its paces, but on paper at least, it looks to be more effective than Pioneer's MCACC. If its potential translates well into performance, then it would be a good one to consider as well.

I do have experience with MCACC and it works as advertised. The MCACC on the new Pioneers is supposed to be even better. Having heard what the MCACC can do with my 45TX, which I use as a pre/pro, I won't consider a unit without some kind of digital equalization when I replace it.

I'm amazed by how much quality you can get for around a grand now by the different manufacturers. It makes it tough to decide, but all these chip and circuit advances in the last year really bode well for the consumer.

Good luck,

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks