What's new

Is the 1932 version of Scarface available separately yet? (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I went into a retail store here in New York this weekend and in the new release section, I saw copies of the 1932 version of Scarface for sale ($19.95 retail).

If this is the cover that was used in the giftset:

then this release has a somewhat different cover as it uses Paul Muni's actual face and the artwork is a little better although is uses the same color scheme.

I was very surprised to see it finally released separately by Universal as I've heard no news about this. However, this morning, when I looked for it on the internet, I can't seem to find if for sale in any of the e-tailers I buy from.

Does anyone have any info on this?

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Universal's website continues to say that the '32 (Hawks) Scarface is "Not Available for Individual Sale." I've seen no official announcement of an individual release (and, believe me, this is one I'm looking forward to, so I can't imagine it would've slipped under my radar).

Any possibility that the DVDs you saw for sale were bootlegs?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

They might have been, but if they were, then they did an amazing job because they looked very legitimate, which is why I was shocked when I saw them. At first I thought they were the copies taken from the gift-set but they had a different cover.

I'm very confused.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

My copy of Scarface comes from the box set and the cover is not like the one you illustrate, but it is like the one you describe.

---
So many films, so little time...

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

Then there's a possibility that they opened the box-sets and are selling them separately.

I'm going to have to go back and ask.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
What's the deal here? I went into Fry's today, and they had the Scarface boxset for $19.95. "Limit one per customer." The original sticker price was $49.95. Anyone know why it's so cheap? I have no use for anything in the box but the '32 Scarface, but I'll buy it next time I'm in if they still have any left.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Guess it didn't sell well. The sets were around Cdn$22 a month ago at amazon.ca, sold out fast, big surprise! I got it just for the '32 version, must trade that "remake" dupe one day...

The front background is the same as the case in the set, as others mentioned a different foreground character. FWIW the cover you show is one that was floating around quite some time ago as the release cover...are you *sure* this is the cover you saw, since the covers are very similar to a quick glance?

Otherwise, I'd suspect people are splitting the sets, given the price reduction.

Edit: Oh yeah, '32 Scarface does have its own UPC, usually stuff that's unique to a set which is never intended to be split doesn't (IMlimitedE).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'd buy the '32 Scarface in a heartbeat - as I've been saying for ages. I have no interest in the remake, and I refuse to be bullied into buying an overpriced giftset full of things I don't want just to get one movie I do want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks