Is that the Vifa XT tweeter in the new Polk LSi series?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardH, Jan 13, 2002.

1. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Has everyone seen the new Polk LSi series?
    http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=21
    It's looks like they're using the top of the line Vifa XT tweeter (as seen in nOrh and the megabuck Krell speakers). I guess Polk isn't making all their own drivers anymore, right?
    Anyway, it'll be interesting to hear how these sound....

2. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Richard,
    It does look like the Vifa XT tweeter indeed, although I note some slight differences in the design implementation. Maybe Polk modeled their tweeter after the Vifa?
    [​IMG]
    I've been inquiring about these speakers since I first heard about them (Sep). I've also been in touch with Polk directly and I'm looking for a dealer that's close to my location. The dealers I'm getting so far from Polk are about 3-5 hours away.[​IMG]
    I'm excited about these speakers because if they deliver on the goods, they will truly bring great sound at an affordable price point.
    A few people have mentioned on the forum that they think these are over-priced, but in comparison to the RT line and for what they are 'supposed' to deliver sound wise, I think these will be excellent speakers. Build quality is a no-brainer (1 1/2" thick side walls!).
    I'm definitely in the market for an upgrade and outside of the Aerial Acoustic 8b's that I dream about (for an additional $3,760), I'd like to audition these Polk's to see what they sound like. My only set back is that I would probably have to purchase and external amp, because my lil' Onkyo would struggle with a 4 ohm speaker.
    Troy

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Thanks for replying, Troy. I'm surprised more haven't jumped in! [​IMG]
    I also think that if this speaker sounds as good as it looks like it's supposed to, then it's not overpriced at all. If that is the Vifa XT tweeter, then I think it's really cool that Polk is making use of it. Imagine if Circuit City started carrying the LSi line. A speaker with that tweet at 'the City'?? LOL.
    This is off of the Polk site; you've already posted from Vifa. Looks pretty dang close to me. I used to be on the Polk forum, but I don't own their speakers anymore; wish I could get on there and ask around....
    [​IMG]

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think there's a post on these speakers in the speakers forum...stating that these tweeters are, in fact, made by Vifa. [​IMG]