Is that air I here in my sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve nn, Sep 6, 2002.

1. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I just noticed today that when one of my subs powers up it sounds as though I can here air from the woofer itself. It seems to be holding its own in output. I checked it with the meter and it matches the other sub. They are stacked. I have to put my ear up to it to here the sound but it most likely will get worse? The gain knob has no effect on the mentioned sound. Guess I will have to pull amp and send it back. Anyone have this problem before?

2. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I don't understand what your trying to say, what kindof sub do you have. What does "I can hear air from the woofer itself" mean?

Daniel Smith

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Well when I put my ear up to the cone I can here a sh-----sound. Maybe something like a slow leek in a tire. Nothing has any affect on this sound. Gain adjustment, changing cables, no cables, nothing has any affect on the sound I can here if I put my ear up to the front of the sub. I run two Velo ct-150s stacked. When I am running a DVD I do not notice the sound nor does the output seem to be affected. It is like putting your ear up to sea-shell. Hope you can get the idea of what I am trying to say? Put your ear up to a QT. jar and add a little canned air[​IMG] -That's as close as I can come.

4. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Looks like you have a sub amp that has gone noisy.

5. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

ari can leak from aronud the amp or the suround might have a leak

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

The leak would only be noticeable if the woofer were working correct. If it is just sitting there minding it's own business not outputting and I here the noise up very close,I think this might point to the amp? I did call Velodyne and they want to send me a new amp but I need to wait until Monday to get it authorized. I have been gone this weekend and just checked it out and it is not doing it now. I don't know- time will tell. Thanks for your input guys.