Is TCM dropping "Silent Sunday Nights"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryEA, Feb 2, 2003.

1. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

I was looking through the TCM schedule as usual to try and find out what silent films are scheduled, including on Sunday night (which has become a fixture in my viewing habits).

Upon looking at the March schedule, no silents are listed for Sunday nights. Does anyone know if they've dropped the feature?

I would hate to see that they scrap it just to fit in the more contemporary films they've recently added to their library (i.e. Rocky, 2010). It would be a real shame and a huge mistake on their part, if they did. [​IMG]

Gary

2. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Screenwriter

In previous years, March on TCM has always been dedicated to a festival called '31 Days of Oscar' in which each and every film broadcast during the entire month either won or was at least nominated for an Oscar. Since the first Oscar's were awarded virtually at the end of the silent film era, there are probably no silents (except Wings) on TCM's March schedule. However, I'll bet the silents will return in April.

3. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Thanks Dave. I honestly hadn't thought about that. Makes sense.

I went back and upon looking at the April schedule (I didn't realise it was up... D'oh!), the Sundays are still silent-free.

There's "Ferris Beuller", "The Right Stuff", and "A Christmas Story", but no silents. At least not on Sunday.

What's going on with this channel?

Gary

4. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

There are a ton of silents in April, Gary. In fact, it appears that the star of the month is Harold Lloyd, and unless I'm mistaken every single one of his silent features, as well as some sound features and silent shorts, will be shown as well (which is making me flip out in joy, as I'm a silent comedy buff and have managed to see only five Harold Lloyd films so far).

TCM: the best channel on TV.

Evan