What's new

IS SVS Right for Me? (1 Viewer)

Dave HW

Grip
OK that's a loaded question. I have been upgrading my equipment over the past 6 months. Have some excellent "classic" mains (another story) and a marble Norh 4.0 for my center (great speaker). The only thing that remains from my original Energy Take 5 System is the 8" sub.

I have been perfectly happy with this sub. It sounds good to me, though I've never compared it to anything else in my HT space. My HT is in a basement with concrete floors.

I should say that I have no interest in floor rattling bass that brings the house down and pissed off the wife. I do have an interest in the best quality sound I can reasonably get. I also have an interest in a sub whose crossover i can better control.

In addition, I have a very nice old amp that should go well with an SVS unpowered cylinder.

So what do you think? Will this make a significant difference in my HT experience or just add more volume?

Thanks,

Dave

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Don't buy into the myth that if a sub is powerful and has good extension then it must "sound" bad for music or on highly detailed and complex bass lines.It's not true!
Anyone who appreciates godd quality bass and don't wanna spend more on well known commercial names, SVS will be a very good choice.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Most certainly will change your impression of quality, clean bass, and at high volumes if you so desire. Based on your comments a CS or CS+, depending on budget would fit the bill. Personally, I'd get the plus with the better driver, should be a little more accurate I would think.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I have the 25-31 pc+ and amazed how great this thing sounds with music. it seems the louder the better it sounds and stays right with my paradigms. I love it with music. sounds perfect.

Roger Q

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe the only reason you might not want to consider an SVS is their size. Your wife will like the sound -- they sound great. However, they are big so get her approval on the size first.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I love a concrete floor for accurate bass. Wooden floors over an open space often resonate badly and sound so boomy in comparison. IMO you are very fortunate to have your HT rig on concrete.

With that said, a concrete floor will require a pretty strong sub to adequately pressurize the room, since you will not have the resonating floor to contribute to the impression of strong bass.

Compared to the 8" Energy Take 5, the SVS will be flatter, deeper, stronger, and distort far less. It won't lop off the entire bottom octave, nor will it dynamically compress the signal on strong, deep passages.

You will notice a huge difference even a moderate volumes - you will hear bass notes you never even knew were present on the DVD, and the difference in bass clarity, texture, and nuance will be obvious (this is due to the extremely low distortion the SVS will exhibit).

The passive SVS has no crossover controls (obviously), so if you want good control over the xo, you'd be better off getting a powered model with a built in adjustable low-pass filter (I think they vary from 40-120 Hz). Otherwise you'll need an external xo unit if your pre/pro lacks a decent bass management circuit.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks