What's new

IS SVS REALLY GOOD? (1 Viewer)

dickTH

Grip
Hey Derek, my name is also Derek,
Same thing as me, but I went straight from the 16-46 to the PB12/plus2 on Ron's suggestion, after many e-mail's
Nothing short of stellar customer service.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

Hey, Derek!

Ron would have recommended a PB12/plus2 if I had gone directly from the 16-46, but I tried a 20-39 PC+ in between. Ron advised in my case to simply go with dual 20-39 cylinders (easier on shipping too!). From what I understand, the PB12/plus2 and dual 20-39 PC+ cylinders are basically "half dozen of one to six of the other"! If that's true, my sincerest condolances to your foundation (and your wall hangings, and your neighbor's good-will, and...) :D :D :D

DougDoe

Agent
Real Name
Doug D
TOM V or RON:

Can either of you guys give a release date for the upcoming new 14" inch Ultra sub? Just wondering whether I should be now or wait.:D

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Only have the PB10 with the SBS 01 but man it rocks. And yes its better than a lot of the offerings in the stores that are more money. Hello Bob from Bozrah, CT! Seems as though not too many from CT around the boards.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Likewise, although I did discuss my room with Tom before ordering. I have the baby 25-31PCi (tuned 22), and am perfectly happy with it. As an existing owner, I was also able to buy the new NSD driver for a very reasonable US$79 (IIRC), which should be another bump up in performance (although I haven't installed it yet). All from a sub that initially cost me just under US$499 (a little over US$600 with shipping, but I'm not in the US).

Just read this forum, and decide for yourself.

dickTH

Grip
Oh yeah, it scares people, my 8 year old freaked when I cranked up Jurassic Park III, now he loves it. And I did have to go out and get some bigger picture hangers as I was afraid stuff was going to fall off the wall:)
Very low on the wife acceptance factor though, the thing is way bigger than it looks in pictures. But I'm sure she'll get used to it :)
I have a large room and it fills it with bass, I love it. as far as music, I still find it sounds good, I'm not a nut, but for the rock, pop, rap type stuff we listen to, it sounds great.
Want to test a sub for low bass in a song, try Brass Monkey by the Beastie boys......Yeowwww!!

P.S. At least you spell your name correctly

Derek

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit

Just a correction...the NSD performs identically to last years ISD model.

Which makes the 2 B-stock PB10-ISD's for $350 a real steal :)

erikk

Stunt Coordinator

Hey Doug;

R/D is still working on them and the sub designs for them, but we hope to ship the first units using the new Ultra drivers sometime in early 2007. As soon as we have a more firm timeline we'll announce it on our news page. (PS not to confuse anyone, the new ultra will not be a 14" driver, I am only referring to the new Ultra driver design)

Let us know if you ever have any other questions or comments.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Having owned a SVS 20-39 with the ISD driver I would say it is very good. Tastes have changed somewhat so I now have the Rocket 10" sub (forget the specific model at this moment).

The SVS excels at HT. The Rocket is better for music and still good for HT though I likely need a larger sub for my room. In either event it is hard to go wrong.

I would say this too. Audition as much as you can, especially if you have someone living nearby who has one of the internet only companies speakers and/or subs.

One other thing you may do is buy either used or b-stock. This can help save you quite a bit of money.

DougDoe

Agent
Real Name
Doug D
thanks erikk..I sent you an email.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Mirage BPS 400, and it's a beast. Even though it's recently discontinued you could probably find a good deal on one. I think it retailed $1300 or so, but I got mine for $850 from a mail order dealer before the internet took off the way it has!

If you could find a deal on it it is probably a good alternative to the SVS line. Admittedly I have not auditioned an SVS sub, but this thing has been good to me for about 8 years or so.

Here's a couple threads about it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=677522

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...ad.php?t=74392

You could probably google for more info (yes I used google as a verb.)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I have a Velo CHT-12 paired with a SVS 25-31PC+ that works very well.

But all this talk of the SVS PB12 NSD makes me think I should upgrade from my Velo!

Back when I bought my cylinder SVS, they didn't make box designs yet.

I guess the PB12 NSD is the one to get? Best bang for the buck?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi John,

It all depends on what you want to accomplish with the upgrade.

How large is the listening room and are there any large openings to other areas of the home?

Are both subwoofers receiving the same signal?( splitting the subwoofer output of the receiver)

Also, are both subwoofers located near one another?

Tom V.
SVS

John Geelan

Screenwriter
My room is pretty large but contained. Its 21 X 35 with 8' ceilings and has french doors that can be closed.

I do use one signal from my receiver to my two subs by splitting the sub cables.

The two subs are on opposite sides of the room from each other (the SVS is on the right side of the entrainment system...large SXRD TV...and the Velo is on the far left of the TV).

I like powerful impact from my subs during movies and the SVS does the job well. The Velo can be a little sloppy though....not bad with movies but not as good as the SVS cylinder sub with music.

BassOdyssey

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Has their been any credible reviews done on this product that someone could post a link to. I find its easy to get caught up in a rave about a product.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi John,

Wow, that is a larger room(about 6000 cu-ft)

What extension mode are you using with the 25-31PC+, 25hz or 20hz? Approximately how far are you sitting from the subwoofer position(s)? Also, have you calibrated the system with a SPL meter and if so---how close to reference level you do push action oriented DVDs?

Tom V.
SVS

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor

Which product(s) are you asking about? For the sake of responding to your request, I'm assuming you mean at least one SVS model (as this is a SVS thread). Most of the store-brand names should be easy enough to find reviews for. If you're asking about SVS products, I've not seen formal reviews for all of them.

My favorite reviewer, Ed Mullen, has reviewed a few. I like Ed's reviews because they rarely, if ever, invoke flowery speech that tells me nothing more than *he* liked a product, and his measurements can be repeated by anyone with a little knowledge and time (OK, and some investment in equipment). There are no variables to his reviews you can't reproduce if you want to. I try to keep a running list of his reviews at http://www.robbroy.net/HT/ (yes, I'm a fan of SVS, but notice I list all of Ed's reviews).

Tom Nousaine has reviewed one SVS to my knowledge, and a running list of his measurements can be found at http://members.cox.net/fabulousfrankie/Nousaine.htm. Tom N.'s measurements are taken in his large room, so you can't reproduce them, but they serve as a decent comparative list. The very old SVS product he reviewed still stands at 8th on his list. Also, SVS has a reviews page at http://www.svsound.com/news-reviews.cfm (I don't know that it's up to date, but it has a number of reviews) that might also answer your question.

HTH,

-Robb

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

There are plenty of links at the SVS site given by Robb above. However, trust me when I say the "raves" about the company and their products are no fanboy musings. Just great products at an astounding price supplied by some of the best (and honest) people in the business, with the best support and service of any company I've (personally) ever dealt with - service on a par with Crutchfield, which is high praise coming from me.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Yes, very easy for many. That's why objective, factual testing like that in the Ed Mullen reviews linked above is far more valuable than "ass-kicking/musicalicious" anonymous anecdotes. What a sub can really do is sometimes far from what people think or say.

John Geelan

Screenwriter

I have the SVS at 25hz. We sit about 10 ft from the sub... the sitting area is in one area of the room up close to the TV.

My speaker system which is relatively new (Onix Rocket 5 speaker HT system) was calibrated once by me using the Denon 3806 included microphone EQ program (Audyssey) but I do need to re-calibrate everything (the 2 subs) and all the speakers.

I can push reference levels with my Denon 3806 receiver. My wife is always telling me to turn down the subwoofers. They do rattle the house.

Like I said, I'm very happy with my SVS sub and the Velo ain't bad either.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks