Is SVS Coming out with a PC-Ultra line?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Lee, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Agent

In wading through the multitude of SVS-related threads, somebody mentioned an upcoming line of PC-Ultra subwoofers. Not sure if this was just a typo and the person really meant CS-Ultra, so I was curious as to what the real scoop was. I had been considering going with a CS-Ultra, but didn't know if I wanted to fuss with setting up and finding space for an external amp. If there is going to be a PC-Ultra line then my problem would be solved.

2. Myram

Myram Second Unit

I think I read that in another post from TV that there is a PC+ line coming out late spring early summer.

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Bob,

Yes, such a model is coming. Just ball park, I'd guess this summer. The amp we have in mind is next in design with the engineers. Sooner, perhaps this spring, we'll have the "PC-Plus" which will sport a 500 watt digital amp built into the enclosure much like our current PC subwoofers. That might be worth consideration for you.

So can you imagine what we have dreamed up for the PC-Ultra? Imagine more. Final pricing still TBD, but expect it to be in the $1,500-$2,000 range. As usual with SVS we'll ensure it'll stomp any similarly priced "Brand X" sub into the dust. A powered "SS" will follow shortly thereafter.

BTW, that sound you hear is our competition crying in their free gin and tonics as they set up for CES at Las Vegas. We're too damn busy designing our next generation of subs (not to mention selling and supporting our current lines) to go this year. Poor us, we'd rather work where the wind chill is zero. ;^)

PS, FWIW, while I understand your comments about setting up a CS-Ultra rig, I can assure you it's no more difficult than setting up any other speaker. Signal cable to the amp, speaker wire to the sub. Set the level (calibration)with a sound meter and you are DONE. In some ways settin up a CS type sub config is EASIER than a powered sub. Space in your HT equipment stack can be a thight thing though so if that's a major problem for you then a PC route is the way to go.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ron

4. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Agent

Thanks for the info Ron! I'm kinda bummed to hear you guys won't be at CES - I thought I saw SVS listed in the CES program. I was also hoping to at least view, if not demo, some of your subs before deciding what to buy. I do understand your reasons for not attending, though, and to be honest I often wonder if vendors who attend these big shows really get a return on their investment.

My issue with an external amp is purely space related, as if I go that route I'll need to find a space for it in my rack. Does the Samson amp lie flat when placed on a free-standing rack? Also, can it be placed on top of or below other components? And is it really as dead quiet as some people say? A little noise is fine, as my Tivo's hard drive is pretty active all the time and it doesn't really both me.

Thanks again.

Bob