What's new

Is SVS 20PCi worth the $100 more than the 25PCi?? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Bedell

Auditioning
OK, after speaking with Tom V a few minutes ago, I'm going with the SVS over the Hsu. The only questions left is whether or not to spend the extra $100 for the the 20PCi, or

"just" get the the 25PCi tuned to 22hz.

Please, help me make this choice..all opinions welcome!!!

Alexis

Stunt Coordinator
depends on your room size. The drop in output with a 22hz tune will be more than the drop in upper end output going to the 20hz tube

Cam S

Screenwriter
I'd go with the 25, the difference might not be worth $100 bucks too you, so it's better to save it for something else.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
It depends on how important is deep bass for you. I would select the 20Pci, without a doubt. But then again, I love deep bass.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Kevin, I have about a 15X30 room, completely open to one side( Kitchen, nook etc..) with 10' ceilings, a fireplace, and a BIG FAT sectional couch. My 25-31PCi is about 2db hot and I can't believe the bass that I get from it. Yes, I can't compare this to other subs(this is my first) but I brought home a mirage FRx-10, an entry velo 10 inch something, and a klipsch 10 inch sub to audition in home. Needless to say I kept the SVS. Tom advised me not to tune to 22Hrz and I am qiute happy.
IF you calibrate with an SPL meter and Avia/VE the bass will come!:D

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Kevin,

If you are already asking that question, imagine what you'll think/wonder in a few weeks after you get the 25-31. If this is bugging you now, it'll KILL you later.

If you have the money, I agree, the added 5Hz extension on some movies is just a thrill. But if money is tight and it's either or, you will not regret the 25-31.

It's a tough call, but the "what if" factor can make $100 seem a small price for moments of crazy deep bass the 20-39 dips into. Not to mention peace of mind.

Ron

Salvador

Second Unit
Not to mention peace of mind.
Kevin, just squash the upgrade bug right away to get rid of that 'what if' monster over your shoulder. If you have the means then go for it. Peace of mind is very hard to come by with home theater nuts like us.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
...but what about the 16 :D
My point: There is always an upgrade lurking around the corner. Don't just go for the 25 "in case" you'll someday be bitten by the upgrade bug. Only get it if you really want that extra extension.

Vin

Supporting Actor
The only questions left is whether or not to spend the extra $100 for the the 20PCi, or "just" get the the 25PCi tuned to 22hz.
My main application is HT so I chose the 20-39 (haven't received it yet).....if music was more important to me I may have gone with the 25-31. Based on the graphs at the SVS website I don't think I'll notice the very small (a db or two) in maximum output that the 20-39 trades off for greater extension. Looking at the graphs, the difference between the two subs down low (where it matters most to me) appears to be greater.
Well, that's how I justified spending the extra $100 anyway! :)
Good luck,
Vin

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I also chose the 20-39PCi, and I'm glad I did. Even though I have a pretty large living room with 10' ceilings that's open in the back, the 20-39PCi offers plenty of volume for me, and I don't think I'm pushing it anywhere near the limits (I can't imagine what possesses people to get 2 SVS subs). So I don't think the extra db or 2 offered by the 25-31 is as important as the lower extension.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
That's the one thing I don't under stand with SVS. The difference between the 25-31, 20-39 and 16-46 models is exactly the same in each of the CS, PCi and CS+ lines (more tube, more fabric and possibly different length ports). Yet the difference in cost between the models is $50 in the CS+, $70 in the CS and $100 in the PCi.

I suppose it's just what SVS needs to do to make the business profitable and I have no ill will towards them for doing so (after all there lines still are the best value in bass out there). But I personally would like a reasonable and reasonably detailed explanation as to why all the lines price difference isn't $50.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I had a 25-31 and 20-39 PC's side by side and there is no way the 20-39 is worth the extra $100 just to get a little more mostly inaudible rumble from explosions. I could hear no difference at all with very deep material and the extra "feel" was very subtle. What I could hear is the 20-39 botteming (very loud though) when the 25-31 still had headroom. Smaller, cheaper, louder- three significant advantages against a non significant (IMO) extension advantage.

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
I have dual 25-31 CS+ with the 22Hz tuning port blocker in both subs. In my very large room at 85dB, the sub response is completely flat to 20 Hz, only 2dB down at 17.5Hz, and 10dB down at 15Hz.

That's pretty low if you ask me, and my subs are short enough that they hide behind a chair. It was *three* full days after I installed these subs in my family room that my wife asked me why there were two of them instead of only one.

Seems to me that if you're close enough to maxing out your sub that the port blocker is going to make a difference then you need two subs anyway.

--Steve

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Like Dan Joy, though my room is 20' x 30 w/10' high vaulted ceiling, ... to quote Dan
My 25-31PCi is about 2db hot and I can't believe the bass that I get from it.
20' x 20' is a solid cement foundation with a oak overlay flooring, throughout the HT/family room and kicthen. I just love how my 25-31PCi adds & fills-in the lower frequency from my fixed 90 Hz x-over from my JBL Speakers on down to it's lower limits (about 20 Hz) with all my software from Music CD's to the Blockbuster DVD's. The SVS doesn't exhibit any of the usual frequency humps I've heard with my AudioSource SW15.
For example, (same AVG SPL) the hugh, really large generator fan as Will Smith goes into MIB for the first time! The AudioSource SW15 sounded OK, but the SVS introduced more detail in those lower frequency LFE INFO, without bloating the Energy, which the SW15 somewhat did, but without the detail and depth that is encoded in the LFE mix! Yes, in this scene, both subs produces tactile feel, but as the scene progressed to the target practice test, you felt the gun shots in the floor, couch, etc. with the SVS!
If you haven't already, read my 25-31PCi vs. SW15 review.
Talking w/Tom, I also kept the default designed tuned 25Hz and it's glorious.
Phil

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Brian,

I'd guess that comparo was some time ago, before went to the much more robust ISD woofer. I'm sure your observation is valid, just that with the added resistance to bottoming and higher output now you are unlikely to have this happen at less than VERY high levels. So take the comparison and raise the bar much higher than you heard.

Whether this is "worth" $100 is going to be VERY dependent on the diet of music and movies you feed the sub. On scenes I know well, ones that are very demanding in terms of depth and amplitude of the bass, I can tell a 20-39 from a 25-31 in a second. All it takes is the first 5 min. of Toy Story 2, or a score of other subwoofer busters like that.

The comment is well taken though, for MOST music and movie bass the 25-31 will have more capacity, but in terms of covering all your bets in terms of SPL AND extension the 20-39 is a more balanced design.

There are plusses and minuses with any design. The fact we sell probably 3 20-39 (CS/Plus/PCi) for any one of any other size tells me its combination of extension and sheer SPL capability is a good mix.

Ron

Randy_Ro

Auditioning
On scenes I know well, ones that are very demanding in terms of depth and amplitude of the bass, I can tell a 20-39 from a 25-31 in a second. All it takes is the first 5 min. of Toy Story 2, or a score of other subwoofer busters like that.
Aaaaaahhh!! Ron, you're not making this any easier. :) I had originally ordered a 20-39 but changed it to a 25-31. Now, after reading this thread, I'm starting to second guess myself once again! Oh well, I'm sure I'll be more than happy with whichever I end up with.
RR

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Randy,

Sorry, I've spent so much time with both that it's like fine wine, you can tell the difference but that doesn't make either a bad choice.

If size and budget aren't major factors, then there is no question I'd prefer the depth/extension of the 20-39. I'd sooner miss the effortless impact of 15-20Hz (don't let anyone tell you bass that deep is not audible when it's done with authority! And with natural room gain you will see such bass easily). It's not like the more common bass where the 25-31 is comfortable (call it 20-25Hz, and up of course) isn't tremendously satisfying. It is. But you only need parse thru the "Bassy Scenes" on our FAQ's page to understand that there are lots of movies (and more all the time) with lots of energy down to 20Hz and below.

Frankly, only spending time with a 16-46 or a 20-39 would allow you to spot the times the 25-31 would be wanting there. It'd be brief but unmistakeable on key passages of key movies.

Again, the 20-39 is a marvelous mix of SPL capacity and depth/extension. If we have a "switch hitter" in our lineup (must be baseball season) it's the 20-39. The 25-31 might not sell as quickly, but I can't recall anyone ever returning one because they "thought it didn't go low enough". It goes plenty low for most people, plus it's smaller, louder and less expensive. It also goes lower, with clarity than many if not most conventional subwoofers. That's what you should keep in mind. The "small" SVS goes so low already that you are only "sacrificing" deeper bass when compared to its stablemates, really.

These are shades of gray here. If budget or height are issues go with what you can manage and enjoy what you end up with does best.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks