Is Sushi "healthy"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Thomas, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas Second Unit

The reason why I ask is, because for the past 3 days Ive been craving Sushi.

So i've been going to Buffetts that features All-you-can eat sushi

I only been eating the sushi except a bowl of Wonton soup and a serving of frozen yogurt

been eating the pickled ginger and the Wasabi, and of course there is the soy sauce

Is eating all this Sushi going to effect me or my weight?

2. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Well, any over eating is bad for your health. Also any animal protein combined with any carbohydrate will create sugar which your body stores as fat.

Therefore, 500g of Salmon Sushi is more fattening than 500g of rice or 500g of Salmon. It is also better to eat 500g of chicken wing then 250g of the very same chicken wings PLUS 250g of baked potato with no butter.

3. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

Overeating is bad in general due to the increased calorie input.

Sushi in itself (with moderation) is not bad at all. The fat in fish has been proven to lower cholesterol. Other than eating too much avacado and cream cheese (I think the philidelphia rolls have cream cheese and the california rolls have avacado) there really arent too many ingredients in sushi that will cause you health problems. The two problems you would encounter would be

1. the high sodium in the soy sauce that accompanies sushi. Just remember to drink lots of water to help push all of that sodium out (this will help you not to over-eat as the rice will expand in your tummy).

2. Sushi rice is made of a combination of sugar and rice wine vinegar. The sugar could add up, especially if you eat too much.

mmm... sushi....

-ikiru

4. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    No food is "bad" for you. Moderation is the key for everything.

Sushi is actually very low in fat as long as you are consuming the sushi made with white fish. If you are consuming sushi made with red fish, like salmon, the fat content is considerably higher, but is the Omega fatty acids rather than saturated fat that is in beef. So even if you are eating the salmon sushi, you are consuming a better type of fat. But, like everything and has already been stated, moderation is the key.

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I hope Sushi is good for me. I eat it all the time. I've tried about 20 Sushi restaurants, and I've gotten pretty picky. There are only 2 or 3 that I go back to on a regular basis.

LOVE SUSHI!

6. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

FWIW...the Japanese have one of, if not the, longest life spans of any country. A large part of this is linked to their high consumption of seafood as part of their diet.

As far as your latest binge - as others stated, moderation is key when eating anything. However, your binge is probably much better healthwise than my binges of Big Macs or Wendy's.

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

The worst-case scenario is you wind up looking like a sumo wrestler. I say.. load up, partner. [​IMG]

8. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

One of the most over-looked aspects of eating is that when you cook foods, proteins are usually denatured and vitamin content lost. In a sense, whatever nutritional content a certain food may have, it's usually lost in the process of cooking, particuarly any high heating of sorts. Even simple boiling will do that.

When you eat sushi, where the fish is either minimally cooked in some way or not at all, you're getting a vast majority of the nutrients. So in a sense, yes sushi is "healthy" because you retain protein content and what not.

The only thing you need to worry about is bacterial infection.