Is Superman: The Animated Series Volume 2 Planned?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Nick Graham, May 10, 2005.

1. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Being a huge fan of Batman: The Animated Series, I picked up the first set of Superman: The Animated Series sight unseen a few months back, and loved it....in fact I'd say they actually topped the quality of the Batman series. I was concerned when they announced a third set for Batman, but made no mention of a second set for Supes. They are planning on releasing the whole series, aren't they?

2. Randall Cyrenne

Randall Cyrenne Stunt Coordinator

While I don't quite share your enthusiasm for Superman:TAS Vol. 1, I am looking forward to future volumes. The show got better over time, I think. I'm sure that Supes Vol. 2 will be out in the next DC Animated wave, towards the end of the year, unless they do a "mini wave" earlier (in October, perhaps, along with more Titans and The Batman single disc releases). I figure that Bats Vol. 4 and Supes Vol. 2 will be out in early December, based on prior release dates. (Although, they could get bumped to January again.)

It's all conjecture, until something official gets announced... but more Supes will almost certainly come.

3. Beast

Beast Second Unit

4. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Yuppers, STAS had 'Super' sales! [​IMG] It's a great companion to BTAS (the perfect flipside, imho), especially when they started doing crossovers, the best of which was World's Finest. BTAS still rocks harder than STAS, in terms of emotional depth of storytelling.

STAS tended to be lighter and brighter... if BTAS is the 'Dark Deco' of the 30's, STAS is the bright shining world of tomorrow envisioned for the 40's. In fact, the design of the Metropolis as seen in STAS is based on the World of Tomorrow model exhibit at the Gotham World's Fair in Mask of the Phantasm.

5. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

I agree that STAS is an EXCELLENT companion to BTAS, but not a successor. Its still great though.

6. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I actually was kind of surprised how dark in tone STAS went at times, especially at the end of the season when they start planting the seeds for season 2's "Apokolips Now", and the subsequent murder of Dan Turpin
    which is the only episode of the series I had seen before purchasing the set.

7. Shawn_C

Shawn_C Stunt Coordinator

I look forward in seeing Superman vol 2 being released. I will be picking up that volume when it is released.

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Can't wait for volume 2! I remember being underwhelmed with it when it first aired, watching only the first episode and the LOBO 2 parter. After getting the set, I aws very impressed at how solid it was!

How are these crossovers going to be handled? well there be a Superman/Batman hour set, or well they be seperate? Was there many actual crossovers? I'm getting them all regardless, as well as Superfriends!

9. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

All the crossover episodes (Knight Time, World's Finest Parts 1-3) are part of the STAS package and should appear in STAS Vol. 3. Happily enough the 54 eps of STAS breakdown into three equal 18 ep packages. None of the episodes of either series lead directly into each other. In World's Finest, Bats visits Metropolis as the Joker teams up with Lex and in Knight Time, Supes travels to Gotham and masquerades as Batman, who is missing. BTW, World's Finest is already available in an edited together direct-to-dvd edition.

Assuming WBHV follows a logical path with these releases, there should hopefully be a BTAS Vol. 4 for the episodes of the BTAS revival, The New Batman Adventures (aka Gotham Knights)