Is Strangers on a Train DVD OAR?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ernest Aguayo, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Ernest Aguayo

Ernest Aguayo Stunt Coordinator

I think I remember seeing a thread about this, but I cannot find it again when I search for it:

Does the Strangers on a Train DVD say it's "modified to fit your screen" when it's actually presented in OAR?

Thanks for any clarification.

2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Both the American and British versions on my copy are preceded by the "...formatted to fit your screen..." message. As far as I know, 1.37:1 is its original aspect ratio.

3. Mitchell Kaufman

Yes, it's an Academy Ratio film (1.37:1). The only way in which it's "modified" is the difference between 1.33:1 and 1.37:1, which is minimal (and true of most such transfers anyway).

Some early DVD's were mislabelled in this way; it seemed that they thought anything that wasn't widescreen was of necessity cropped.

What annoys me more is the way in which so many 1.85:1 films are cropped to fit the standard widescreen display ratio of 1.78:1. Information is frequently lost on the left and/or right.

MK

4. Ernest Aguayo

Ernest Aguayo Stunt Coordinator

Cool. Thanks for the info.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    1.37:1 is silent apature.

Also, most 1.78:1 DVD's of 1.85:1 films don't lose side info. They're just matted to 1.78:1 instead of 1.85:1 You actually gain a ribbon of picture.