1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Sting *All ThisTime* another "best of" compilation or a live album?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, May 7, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

In looking at the Sting All This Time CD in a store the other day, I got the impression that it is another greatest hits compilation. There is no mention on the jewel case of it being a live album. Is it another greatest hits compilation? I would be surprised since there are already the Fields of Gold and Sting & The Police compilations. If All This Time is another greatest hits disc, how is the sound quality in comparison to the other compilations? Thanks in advance.

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

AMG All Music has it listed as a live album.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ike, thanks for the info. There is absolutely no indication of being a live album on the jewel case, as I said. There is a sticker on the front of the jewel case that indicates certain hits that are featured. Anyway, it makes sense that it would be a live album, given the two greatest hits compilations that are out. Thanks again.

4. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

It is most definately a live album and it sounds wonderful.

5. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

FYI - There is a DVD-V of this as well. I've not seen it, since I just bought the OTHER Sting Live DVD, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

7. Derek Borowka

Yes, I got the album after watching a A&E special on the making of this album. He got his musician friends (including Chris Botti who has his own SACD) to render new versions of the sonds - more "jazz-like" sound.

The interesting thing I learned on that documentary was that a number of songs that were to be performed during that concert in Italian Tuscony villa were not performed as the date of the concert was SEPTEMBER 11th (some songs they deemed inappropriate as a result of the WTC bombing). Thus, the mood on the album is reflectively somber.

FANTASTIC CD - I just love listening to it.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Derek, interesting info. Thanks for sharing. I will have to get this CD.

9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

If you want to own this, I'd recommend the DVD. Excellent sound, excellent picture, very good program. The DVD includes a couple more songs than the CD does as well. (The various international releases of Time alter the track listing a lot; it appears that only the Japanese one tosses in all 18 songs, but the DVD has 17 vs. the US CD's 15. I detail all of this in my review: http://www.dvdmg.com/stingallthistime.shtml)

10. Jeff Keene

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Colin, I will probably get the CD first since it offers uncompressed audio, and I can take it in the car and to the office. I would then consider the DVD for surround sound. Also, I saw the Japanese version of the CD today and noticed that it has 18 songs. However, it was $37. No way am I paying that much for three more songs.

12. Jeff Keene

13. Derek Borowka

Yeah, I had the DVD version - I would say AVOID THE DVD (live amphitheater version that is)!!! The audio is pretty poor, performance is not up to par, and is no where close to the CD mentioned above.

I am a pretty big Sting and The Police fan, but that DVD I just couldn't stomach. The All This Time CD is a nice treat though.

14. Jeff Keene