What's new

Is Stephen King quitting writing forever? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I read this earler today. Considering his production schedule over the years, it is understandable that he may finally be growing weary with the whole process. I am hoping that he will reconsider and only semi-retire. He must of course finish the three books in the Dark Tower series regardless of his plans. Right, Mr. King? ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I wholeheartedly believe him. His writing enterprise now is way more involved than just writing stories, which he will do until the day he dies.
And yes, Jeff, I believe the DT series will close (barring unforeseen tragedy) before he closes up shop. He promised me as much when I met him briefly at the Bag of Bones signing tour. ;)
Plus I read that he's really concentrating on finishing it.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Stephen King said :
"You can either continue to go on, or say I left when I was still on top of my game. I left when I was still holding the ball, instead of it holding me."
Well, as much as I am saddened by this whole issue I must admit that Stephen King is a wise man. It takes guts to say something like that.
King is and always will by my favorite author. His books got me through a lot of rough times when I was growing up and gave me many hours of reading pleasure. I have a few favorites such as:
IT
The Dark Tower
The Stand
and....oh heck EVERYTHING :D
LONG LIVE THE KING

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I will miss his writings, however, after some time off he might find that his creative juices are flowing again. I think he rushed back into writing quickly after his accident (the article indicated he used it for therapy) however he may have needed some more downtime, and now he will get it.

Maybe he could branch out in another direction. The computer game last year done by Clive Barker (Undying) was an excellent addition to the genre. I would definitely like to see King hook up with a computer game company and crank out a title.

Kenneth

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I can see why he might be burnt out considering his level of output. However, I'm gonna be pissed if he doesn't finish the DT series.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
"You can either continue to go on, or say I left when I was still on top of my game. I left when I was still holding the ball, instead of it holding me."
I would say the ball is holding him right now. Don't get me wrong, I like King and have enjoyed many of his books. However, his recent output leaves a lot to be desired. Of course, that's IMO. :)

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Didn't he say somewhere that he estimated the DT series was about 10,000 pages away from completion and that the it would tie together many of his books. I beleive he mentioned Randall Flagg from the Stand and Ralph Roberts from Insomnia. He actually did mention Randall Flagg in the DT series. I swear I read this in a foreward or afterword of one of his books. Wizard and Glass sticks in my head for some reason. It's been a few years since I read the books so my info might not be 100% accurate.
Any word on when the next Dark Tower installment is coming?
UPDATE!
Seek and ye shall find! I answered my own question..
Read the Prologue!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I forget what show I was watching that mentioned this. I think it was on A&E. But it mentioned he has some problem with his eyes where his opthamologist expects him to be blind in a few years.

That may have something to do with his decision. I'm sure he could continue to write without his site, it would just be difficult to make the transition from methods that require site to those that don't.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Also from the official website, concerning the DT series:

Q: Is it true that he has retired?

A: That hasn't happened yet. There are still books coming out through both Scribner and Pocket Books and plans to complete The Dark Tower series, so there will be new books for several more years to come.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Dark Tower will definitely be finished, barring unforeseen circumstances. The projects he's said will happen before he hangs it up are:

- short story collection, released in March

- From A Buick 6, released in September

- Dark Tower V

- Dark Tower VI

- Dark Tower VII

His goal is to finish all three Dark Tower books by the end of this year and publish them starting next year.

If he thinks it's time, then it's time. Simple as that.

While some of his recent output hasn't measured up to his "classics," I thought Hearts in Atlantis was simply fantastic, and Black House (w/ Peter Straub) was a worthy (but completely different in tone) sequel to The Talisman.

Ryan

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've always enjoyed King's work to varying degrees, and I haven't found a general decline in the later years. Hearts, Bag of Bones, DT4, Black House, I liked all of these and would rank them among his good (though not great) works.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Hearts, Bag of Bones, DT4, Black House, I liked all of these and would rank them among his good (though not great) works.
These are excellent examples of his recent output which certainly argue against a supposed decline in the quality of his work. I would beg to differ on your assessment of Dark Tower IV: Wizard & Glass, Carlo. I felt this was one of his very best books - ever. :)

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
I thought he quit a long time ago. ;)
Honestly, jusk kidiing. I like the guy... really. Don't go wiggin'. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

Definitely count me in as a HUGE fan of DT4. I remember the flak he received because it was a flashback of Roland's childhood and actually took "our heroes" barely any closer to the tower.

I completely disagreed with this criticism. Fleshing out Roland, making him human and not just some hard-ass, was one of the best things he's done for the series. Now I'm totally immersed in who/what Roland is. That makes his completion (if he does in fact complete) of the quest that much more fulfilling for me as a reader.

Also, don't forget that The Green Mile (much better book than the movie adaptation, which was good in its own right) was written towards the latter stages of King's career.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks