Is Star Wars - The phantom menace out in Europe?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jorge O'Neill, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Jorge O'Neill

Jorge O'Neill Auditioning

It seems that it can be bought in many US stores. What about europe? Is it out anywhere, especialy in Portugal?
    Thanks

2. Thomas Lang

Thomas Lang Extra

I seem to recall that the region 2 release of TPM should be around the same date as the US region 1 release. I know the danish region 2 release is october 16, the same as the region 1.
    The following is taken from the officiel press release:
    ---
    The Wait Is Over: The First Star Wars Movie is on DVD
    STAR WARS: EPISODE I THE PHANTOM MENACE
    Worldwide DVD Release Begins October 16, 2001
    ---
    Lucky for me I was able to get the US region 1 release october 4th [​IMG]
    Hope this helps.

3. Jorge O'Neill

Thanks Thomas
    Anyway, I live in Portugal, and there no one here seems to know when it is going to be released here. My guess is that I will have to wait some time.
    Does anyone know of any version with Portuguese subtitles? That would make my life much easier

4. andrew markworthy

The official Brit release is Oct 15th, I believe. However, I saw it for sale this morning on a market stall (though the larger stores aren't releasing it until the official Monday date). However, I got my R1 copy today in the mail and greatly enjoyed watchigng it on my day off.

5. Jacob_isham

Jacob_isham Stunt Coordinator

I heard that phantom menace would be a simultaneous international release, so expect it be out in europe around the same time as america. I heard most europeans (or is that just the british) have hacked players anyway, so even if it wasnt you could just import. Lucas has even made this one equal accross all regions meaning no regional version is better or worse, coupled with a simultaneous release, maybe the studios have found a real way to discourage importing.

6. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Yesterday I saw both R1 and R2 release over here and of course I got the R1!

7. Ralph

Ralph Auditioning

Yes, both versions are available in Europe .... way before the official street date.
    Ralph

8. Jacob_isham

Jacob_isham Stunt Coordinator

well the R1 does have the significant advantage of running at the correct speed, unlike the r2 which runs slightly faster than the correct playing time. But apart from that they are equal.

9. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Of all, the only one you would perhaps deem inferior is the UK R2 since the documentary is censored to retain the release's 'U' (Universal) certificate.
    I personally like the old boast much of the UK press gave touting the fact that the official release date in the UK for the DVD was one day before America, failing to take into account anyone in the UK would be able to obtain the R1 import a good few weeks before it streets anywhere anyway. [​IMG]
    Dan (UK)

10. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

I just saw my copy. Excellent DVD! [​IMG] I enjoyed a lot ... the extras, all of the them. Very nice. Especially the documentary feels magical in places. It really makes you wonder with this much magic behind the scenes, why ... (I'm going to stop because I don't have anything nice to add!)

11. Ryan_M_M

Ryan_M_M Stunt Coordinator

I will be buying the NTSC DVD because of the time acceleration issue, but do not put down PAL so much. If anyone has Sky Digital, switch between CNN and Sky News and you will see a huge resolution difference that is noticable between PAL and NTSC. DVD doesn't usually matter.

12. Jorge O'Neill

Unfortunately it will only be available in Portugal some time next month [​IMG]
    Can anyone confirm if any of the existing versions has Portuguese subtitles?
    Many thanks

13. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

14. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

15. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit