What's new

Is Spun worth the blind purchase? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I read a little about this movie and it looks pretty good. I love Britany Murphy, plus Mena Suvari, John Leguizamo and Mickey Rourke how can you go wrong. Any input on this movie would be greatly appreciated. Should I rent or buy?

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Saw this one at a film festival. If you haven't got Requiem for a Dream allready buy that one instead. Spun is a rental at best.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Rent. It's an interesting experience one time, but I doubt it would stand up to repeat viewing. You can find my review in the Movies forum; look for the 2003 Alternative, Foreign and Independent Film thread (there's an index on the first page).

M.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Magnus,
Funny you mention that. When I was at Best Buy picking up Final Destination 1 & 2, they had Requiem For a Dream on sale for $9.99 so I picked that one up too. I have never seen it and was told it was an unbelievable movie.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Well said, Mark. If people are looking for opinions on Spun, here's mine:

It's stunningly bad.

Were this a Spun "appreciation" thread, I wouldn't bother to chime in with my negative feedback - but if you're asking if it's a "blind purchase"...

Hell, it's not even a "blind rental".

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
If you want a reference DD track, give SPUN a listen.

Astounding!

No dialnorm, perfect placement, and seamless effects.
This is what DVDs should sound like, DTS or not!

Spun, don't buy it. A rental will be amusing. VERY dark humour, and not for kids.

The animation is interesting.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think you just doubled the sales of Spun. There are people here who would buy Polar Bears Hibernating if it had a "reference soundtrack". :D

M.

Skyler

Stunt Coordinator
We watched Spun last night. Very similar to Requiem for a Dream & The Salton Sea. All & all a good flick, but a rental IMHO. The sound quality was excellent, lots of surrounds & lots of LFE! I'm not going to say reference though. I was PISSED that Hollywood Video only has the R version. There is an unrated version as well. I HATE making mistakes like that! The music was supervised by Billy Corgan, of Smashing Pumpkins fame. The highlight was a mellow cover of Iron Maidens "Number of the Beast".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks