What's new

Is "South Pacific" a Good Transfer? (1 Viewer)

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
When I was in college, I sang in the chorus when Mr. Tozzi was appearing in THE FLYING DUTCHMAN with the Boston Opera Company. He signed some libretti from his recordings for me which I still treasure to this day. He was a kind, warm and immensely talented performer and he will be sorely missed. Bravo Mr. Tozzi!!

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by ahollis

Sorry to disappoint you but the Lincoln Center production did a lot re-staging. I did SOUTH PACIFIC in high school and "Happy Talk" was sung on the island basically like it is in the movie, with Bloody Mary singing the song, with Liat and Cable reacting. Logan, and R&H did take a lot of liberties with moving around scenes and songs in the movie to up the action and I agree with you that the play strats with the two kids singing. The movement of scenes and songs in film versions is a Rogers and Hammerstein trait.

Actually, the British cut of the film places the scenes with "Some Enchanted Evening" before the "Nothing like a Dame" scenes - as they appeared in the stage production. The US version switched the scenes so the film starts with the saliors and Bllody Mary

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

No, it's not from The Ed Sullivan Show. It's from a Rodgers and Hammerstein retrospective TV broadcast where stars from various stage productions were gathered together to recreate a song or sequence from the show. John Raitt and Jan Clayton did "If I Loved You" from Carousel, and Raitt also did the title song from Oklahoma! (I guess Alfred Drake was unavailable.)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Actually, the British cut of the film places the scenes with "Some Enchanted Evening" before the "Nothing like a Dame" scenes - as they appeared in the stage production. The US version switched the scenes so the film starts with the saliors and Bllody Mary

Yes, but even with this supposed alterate cut, the movie still departs from the play in that neither cut opens with the children seated at the table singing Dites Moi. In truth, the original rendition of Dites Moi is cut from the film. What we see in the movie is the song's abbreviated reprise at the *end* of the scene. It was opening the play at the table on the patio that gave the final patio scene a sense of deja-vu, showing the audience how far the adult characters had travelled emotionally since those unfazed, innocent children had last been shown there singing that same song.

Virtually every change the moviemakers made, in an attempt to "open it up" only served to dilute the impact of the show's message.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by MattH.
One of our members here was working on a book on that very subject, but I can't remember who it was.

I think that was Karen Philpot - I hope I've spelled her name correctly. She doesn't post very often nowadays.

There is also a book from 1984 called "Who Sang What On The Screen" by Alan Warner. This has a chapter entitled "Who Sang What For Whom". And, of course, there is "Hollywood Song", a three volume opus about songs in movies, who wrote them and who sang them. Essential reading for any movie musical enthusiast.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Robin9

Quote:

I think that was Karen Philpot - I hope I've spelled her name correctly. She doesn't post very often nowadays.

There is also a book from 1984 called "Who Sang What On The Screen" by Alan Warner. This has a chapter entitled "Who Sang What For Whom". And, of course, there is "Hollywood Song", a three volume opus about songs in movies, who wrote them and who sang them. Essential reading for any movie musical enthusiast.

Yes, I have the first book you mentioned. Not very thorough about dubbing but better than nothing. That link offered above is one of the most comprehensive listings I've ever seen, and I have definitely bookmarked it for future reference.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I just got this film because of this thread. Beautiful transfer. I hesitated before, because I remembered the colored filters bothering me the first time I saw the picture in high school. They don't bother me any more.

I wonder what R&H musical is coming to Blu this year? I have a feeling it will The King and I since this year is the 55th Anniversary. If it does, it will be a great year for Yul B. on blu, with the spectacular Ten Commandments released earlier this spring.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by eric scott richard

I wonder what R&H musical is coming to Blu this year? I have a feeling it will The King and I since this year is the 55th Anniversary. If it does, it will be a great year for Yul B. on blu, with the spectacular Ten Commandments released earlier this spring.

Unfortunately, The Digital Bits said nothing more than "more Rodgers and Hammerstein in 2012," after they had said "more Rodgers and Hammerstein in 2011."

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
I wonder what they are going to do with Oklahoma! My understanding is that the Todd-AO version will have to be encoded 1080i because the Blu-ray spec doesn't allow for 30 frames per second progressive. Hopefully it will also include the CinemaScope version (on a second disc) which obviously should be encoded in 24p. Hopefully they go all out and present nice new restorations of both versions.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I really thought the Cinemascope version of Oklahoma! looked gorgeous in that last DVD set, and since the Todd-AO was such a botched job, I had just forced myself to admit when I wanted to see Oklahoma! it would have to be the Cinemascope version instead of the preferred Todd-AO.

A new Blu-ray of each version could ease a lot of pain over this.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MattH.

I really thought the Cinemascope version of Oklahoma! looked gorgeous in that last DVD set, and since the Todd-AO was such a botched job, I had just forced myself to admit when I wanted to see Oklahoma! it would have to be the Cinemascope version instead of the preferred Todd-AO.

A new Blu-ray of each version could ease a lot of pain over this.

I totally agree with you. but I do like the Todd-AO version better (not the transfer). The scenes seem fresher and I understand that they shot those scenes first and then the CinemaScope scenes next. I love to take out both discs and show friends the different compositions of each version with the "Kansas City" number being the most different from version to version. Even Charlotte Greenwood has a bit more background dancing in the Todd-AO version than the CinemaScope.

I hope this one of the ones that Fox working on for a future release.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by MatthewA Unfortunately, The Digital Bits said nothing more than "more Rodgers and Hammerstein in 2012," after they had said "more Rodgers and Hammerstein in 2011."

The Digital Bits reported way back in 2009 "more Rodgers and Hammerstein". I no longer get excited when I hear news like this. Unless they studio states a specific month/season.

The 50th Anniversary Edition of "Ben Hur" was coming in 2009 (It's 50th anniversary) We seem to be getting that on store shevles in September 1211. Yes that would be the 52nd Anniversary year. So much much for advance news and "Anniversary dates"

Really, who wants to wait until 1215 for a film released in 1965 to finally hit stores just because that is it's anniversray date. Enough already..."Ben Hur" should be coming out in 1214 if they really want to keep that "special" anniversary marketing banner

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

The Digital Bits reported way back in 2009 "more Rodgers and Hammerstein". I no longer get excited when I hear news like this. Unless they studio states a specific month/season.

The 50th Anniversary Edition of "Ben Hur" was coming in 2009 (It's 50th anniversary) We seem to be getting that on store shevles in September 1211. Yes that would be the 52nd Anniversary year. So much much for advance news and "Anniversary dates"

Really, who wants to wait until 1215 for a film released in 1965 to finally hit stores just because that is it's anniversray date. Enough already..."Ben Hur" should be coming out in 1214 if they really want to keep that "special" anniversary marketing banner

If it's an anniversary fetish they have, I hope it doesn't take them until 2013; the 70th anniversary of Oklahoma's Broadway debut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks