Is sound an art form?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Tsutsui, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I know that music is classified under fine arts, but what about the people that design speakers and accessories, etc.

Are they strictly engineers doing specific designs for a purpose? Or should they be considered artists like the musicians that play the music?

I was just wondering this seeing how many companies are out there boasting their "unique" sonic qualities, and how their "sound" is better. When you look at the threads and reviews, you find there is no "best" system out there as they depend a lot on taste as well as other factors.

This leads me to believe that the designers could be considered artists that are simply expressing their work through sound. Amp designers must hand pick their caps and wires and understand the tradeoffs to achieve the finished result. There's also trial and error involved because of how complicated the path is from a CD to our ears.

These are just some thoughts as I design a 2nd inverted gainclone, and am struggling to find the right combination of "sculpture" (definitely art related), and sound.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I don’t think that Guarari or Stradivarius are considered artists nor would they have considered themselves artists.

Master craftsmen to be sure.

For me art has to communicate meaning—it says something about the world in which we live, or allows us to view things in a different manner.

A great violin or a great speaker may well help in the presentation of art, but it is not art itself, nor is its design and manufacture.

3. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    A speaker is a tool which relates art. You would not consider the person making a paint brush an artist, even though the item he manufactures makes art. A television is not an art object, although it can display art to the masses.

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

But the mass production of multiple identical items means it's a craft, not an art.

-Vince

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Ooooo, tought call. I can see how the deisgn of the speaker cabinet (as in Dave's photo) can be considered a form of art, but Vince makes a good argument about it being a 'craft', as in a woodworker who creates things out of wood.

There seems to be a fine line between 'craft' and 'artist' though:

Craft: Skill in doing or making something, as in the arts; proficiency.

Artist: One, such as a painter, sculptor, or writer, who is able by virtue of imagination and talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value, especially in the fine arts.

I don't think there's an exact answer, but it seems we equate a 'craftsman' to items that can be creative, but are basically 'useful' (i.e. Speakers, Cars, Tables, etc.)

An 'artist' is someone who creates something to be enjoyed through the senses and is not necessarily considered 'functional'.

Well, that's my view point.

7. Lew Crippen

And while Dave makes a point as to the cabinet, that was not the point that Chris was addressing at the start of the thread about ‘sonic qualities’.

Nor was it my point as to production and manufacture, though I can see how my statement could be construed otherwise.

I think Vince’s observation is right on target.

Michelangelo was an artist who created a work of art ‘David’. If that stature gets reproduced a whole lot of times, the work of art will still be in Florence, not in your backyard.

Works of art like The Thinker have had multiple castings. Each casting done as the artist intended and under his control. There are no more copies than Rodin intended that may be considered ‘art’.

8. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

quote:

To me, anything that is displayed to evoke a response is a form of art. I don't consider music art, I consider it entertainment.

9. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

10. Lew Crippen

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

There is a difference between something produced TO BE mass produced )or at the very least largely duplicated) and soemthing that is printed by means of distribution.

As wonderful as speaker design might be, i think it is designed with mass production (or agian, at least medium production) in mind-- designed specifically as a prototype to be duplicated...

One could take a musical instrument as the axample- some fine instruments were produced as a work of art, a single piece. Even if it is copied, the original wasn't created to be copied, it was created as a single. Where an instrument specifically designed to be manufactured, I would say that is a craft.

Again- i think the idea of being reproduced or not is secondary to the original purpose of the piece.

My 2 cents

Vince