Is Sony leaving the direct view CRT market?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Randall Wetmore, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Randall Wetmore

Someone mentioned to me that Sony is going to cease making direct view CRT TVs in the near future. Has anyone else heard this? If this is true, it's a big dissapointment to me. I was looked forward to purchasing one of their top of the line 34" 1080p models in the next few years when they came out.

Would be a huge shame; they make such a fine CRT
    [​IMG]

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I haven't heard anything about that.

A 34" 1080p CRT direct view? Do you have a link to more info about that?

3. Randall Wetmore

No. I just presume it's coming sometime in the near future (why wouldn't it be coming?); hopefully from Sony.

4. Randall Wetmore

A 40" widescreen CRT would probably weight about 300 lbs. I think Sony's 34" widescreen models weigh over 200 lbs. For me, the CRT is still the gold standard display technology, and is more than worth dealing with the huge size and excessive weight.

5. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

sony used to make a 40" crt, that sucker was HUGE

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Perhaps I misunderstand the current "state of the art," but my understanding is that direct view CRT displays are not digital displays. Therefore they will always show interlaced pictures (e.g. 1080i). Digital displays show progressive (e.g. DLP or LCD showing 720p or LCoS showing 1080p).

7. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

CRTs can display progressive.

Very few direct-view CRTs - especially for sale at any consumer level - can resolve anywhere near HD resolutions unless they're PC monitors.

Leo

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Sony, like most major manufacturers, does want to leave the CRT market, but there are still so many CRT users out there. In time, though, the CRT will be put to rest (unfortunately).

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

As leo mentioned, CRTs definitely can display progressive images. Many CRTs have been for many years (decades now), a good example is CRT computer monitors.

10. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Ah, very good point. I hadn't thought about computer monitors. Thanks for correcting me.

11. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No problem! IT's more expensive to have electronics that can handle progressive signals, and that can handle high bandwidth signals and be multisync, so a lot of consumer stuff that usually only has to deal with limited resolutions and interlaced stuff are more limited. A lot of HDTVs now will do 1080i or 540p though. More high-end displays will have a fuller complement of capabilities, including really high-end CRT stuff that is multisync especially graphics-grade CRT projectors. CRT FPs at 720p 960p or 1080p 72hz look pretty freaking incredible! [​IMG]

12. Randall Wetmore

I know, but they continue to improve upon this. Sony's "Super Fine Pitch" technology is huge improvement in the amount of detail that gets resolved (up to 60% more detail according to them). A 1080p Super Fine Pitch would provide a phenominal picture. Let's hope Sony makes one before they get out of the direct view CRT market.

The ultimate picture is still the CRT projector, but it's my understanding these are not only very heavy and hard to install, but require frequent calibration and maintenance. Really only for the die-hard videophile.

13. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

panasonic has left the crt market behind recently.

I have a 36" XBR800 and its a heavy tv. but even though its a 4:3 set with 16:9 mode it still gives a better picture than any LCD I have seen.

I just recently bought a 26" widescreen panasonic crt and it also has a great picture.

havent heard the sony rumor though.