What's new

Is Sony Abandoning SACD? (1 Viewer)

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D

Single yes but not changers for some reason. I dont think Denon has a changer or for that matter Pioneer,Marantz that plays both.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yamaha and Onkyo have universal changers (Yamaha for sure). But as hi-res seems to have become a niche market aimed at "audiophiles", it is unlikely we'll see changers from a wide number of manufacturers. Typically, hi-end equipment buyers shy away from changers.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Its a tought call for me,get a changer and fill it up because i dont like every single song on a disc and have hi-enders mock me{LOL} or get a single and get up and down changing discs for an hour.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i think if itunes provided 24/96 or 24/192-grade multichannel possible files... that would be awesome.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Then you're just not looking. More importantly, it would appear on various hi rez topics you're more interested in selectively accepting the data points that conform to your foregone opinions than you are in objectively gathering information.

Check the UMG high rez Website. There are LOTS of DVD-A titles listed there with music vid content.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Videos on dvd-audio discs can be a hit-or-miss affair (a sampling from my own collection):

* Simple Minds Once Upon A Time - 1 good video + 1 kitchy(sp) but still entertaining video
* Linkin Park Reanimation - four good videos
* Crystal Method Legion Of Boom - one boring music video, watched it once; uninformative making-of video, watched that once
* Beach Boys' Pet Sounds decent promo video
* Beck's Guero - very cool abstract animated CG "wallpaper" for each track* + 2 full-length & entertaining easter egg videos
* Beck's Sea Change - six videos, though I usually only watch three of them.
* LTJ Bukem Planet Earth (actually this is a dvd-video title but what the heck) - neat song mix breakdown video which via an overhead view shows each channel's contribution as the song is "built" over a 4 minute time span. Watched it quite a few times (what can I say, I'm easily entertained :D).

IIRC most of the Talking Heads' DualDiscs each have two videos.

And the video count for Bjork's DualDiscs is the most I've ever scene so far: except for a couple I think each disc has 4 to 5 videos.

* these are customizable using the player's subtitle button, so each video has three different versions. FYI: for people new to surround, despite what most retail sites say (or don't say is the more likely case), this disc IS a dvd-audio disc and comes as part of the very slick/limited edition CD+dvd Deluxe Edition which looks like its already OOP.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D

My foregone opinions{boy you talk funny}is that if i want mostly jazz and classical,i'd go to SACD and if i want more pop/rock i'd go to DVD-A/DTS. Wrong or right,thats the way i see it but getting a universal player fixes most of that. BTW,if i want video{or more of it} i'd buy a concert on DVD. I care about the music on SACD and DVD-A,video is not a selling point for me at all but thats me.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

That's of course fine, setting aside the intimation that music and vid content is an either/or issue.

But you've further confirmed the suspicion I expressed in my previous post. If you're not interested in DVD-A's vid content, why are you making (inaccurate) comments about how much of it is available? It stands to reason if not truth that you're not really paying attention to that content since, by your own statement, it doesn't factor significantly in your buying decisions.

"Oooohhhhh--frisky are we?!?"

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Paul: personally I would start with Odelay. That is still my favorite Beck album, though Mutations is very close. Sea Change is a beautiful album, in stereo or surround form, but is very introspective & somber - that being said I still listen to it regularly & quickly bought the CD version for car/boombox use as well. Guero is totally opposite, full of sunshine and bouncy beats (but if you read the lyrics, underneath that happy surface a few of the songs actually have a rather unfun message in them.......). Mellow Gold is good too. But Midnight Vultures I just can't get into - production is too slick for me, music is.......just not my thing, and most of the time it doesn't even sound like Beck himself is singing.

Here's a Mix Magazine article about the Dust Brothers and how much they have contributed to Beck's and other artist's music:

"The Dust Brothers, Talking Tech With The Godfathers Of Sampling"

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D

Do i have DVD-A,yes. Do i check out the video,yes. Do i watch it anymore after the first time,no so i do know what video is on DVD-A. Look,i like both but it seems DVD-A have more music that i listen to. This is alright,right? Most people i know and thats not alot have many more DVD-A then SACD. What does that mean,maybe nothing but i'm making note of it. So the tale of this thread is as far as i'm concered, i can live without either,i do like Hi-Res, but if one has to go,it can be SACD for me. Maybe the problem is i dont buy anything for 1 or 2 songs,thats why i have a small collection.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Besides the recent Danny Elfman soundtrack that was announced by Sony Masterworks, which has yet to be announced on Sony's website, apparently there's yet another classical music SACD being unleashed by Sony Classical on August 15th, 2006: Jay Greenberg - Symphony No. 5 & Quintet for Strings.

Pre-orders are available on elusivedisc.com or sonymusicstore.com. Too bad these are not pop/rock titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks