Is Sony 43in. rptv really any more likely to burn-in than Toshiba's or Hitachi's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob White, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Rob White

Rob White Stunt Coordinator

I'm real close to ending 3 months of research on which 43 in. rptv to buy. High Dev. is not a concern. I can't spend more than $2000. For around $1400 Sony's 43T75 seems to have the clearest picture on a standard signal. Its scan lines aren't as noticable from close as others are. I've read scary posts here about halos and burn-in.
    My question really is whether burn-in is more likely with the Sony or is it just a chance you take with all rptv's if you don't watch the brightness and contrast carefully?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Rob
    p.s. I've looked at the Mit. 607 series, but the scan lines are real noticable to me.
    ------------------
    Receiver: Onkyo 595
    Speakers: Energy Encores
    TV: TBA
    DVD/CD: Panasonic RV-31

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    burn in is possible on SOny sets just like all the other RPTV's. It is no more or less likely to happen because it is a Sony.
    Keep the contrast low and watch oput for stationary objects on screen.
    Keep these two in mind and you will be fine.
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

3. Rob White

How low should the contrast go? Below 40%. Once I get the tv I will rent either Avia or Video Essentials. I've never used them before. Will they help set the contrast low enough or will I need to lower it even further?
    Thanks, Rob

4. Rob White

How low should the contrast go? Below 40%. Once I get the tv I will rent either Avia or Video Essentials. I've never used them before. Will they help set the contrast low enough or will I need to lower it even further?
    Thanks, Rob
    ------------------
    Receiver: Onkyo 595
    Speakers: Energy Encores
    TV: TBA
    DVD/CD: Panasonic RV-31

5. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

You should have no problem - I've got the older model (T70) and it's survived everything I've thrown at it, included the dreaded 'Video Games'! *cue dramatic music*
    The big problem for me is the Sony Smearing, which I hear most T75 users are lucky enough to not have. Bastids! [​IMG]
    I'm sure each set may vary out of the box, but my Contrast setting is pretty damn low - well under 40%. I watch movies in total darkness, but I do use the set during the day with only slat type shades drawn.
    Except for that one thorn in my side, the picture is beautiful, so if you like the set pick it up by all means! Just follow the instructions on Avia/VE and watch without worry!
    ------------------
    "Negative. I am a meat popsicle."