Is something wrong with my volume setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Spargo, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Steven Spargo

My Sony 670D dvd/cd player is connected to my Onkyo 595. I have an S-Video hookup directly from my Sony to my Mitsubishi TV, but I have an optical connection from the Sony to the Onkyo.

Now when I play a regular CD, a volume set a 25 is a little to loud; but when I am playing a DVD,(the Score) the volume is setat 50, and I am still having some trouble hearing everything. This is my very first DVD, so I am concerned that I did not set it properly.

Something must be wrong. Any suggestions?

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Steven, you are fine.

When I play CD's on my Harman Kardon receiver, a volume level of 35 (lower is louder) is fine for listening, but when I have a DVD in there, I often have to go to 25 or 20 to get the appropriate listening level. My receiver pumps out more watts in 2 channel mode then when all 5 channels are driven, so that could explain some of it. I also noticed a more efficient signal when I switched from Optical connection to digital Coax...but not much. I'm not sure why DVD has the lower levels, but all I know is that your situation is not unique. Maybe somebody else can shed more light on this topic, but the in depth stuff is not my domain.

3. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

Evan, the Onkyo marks the volume range from 0 to 75, whereas the H/k and Denon receivers mark it from -75 to 0, or something like that. So DVD would be at a higher level on the Onkyo and at a lower level for you. And as you said, the receivers do put out more power when driving 2 channels resulting in a higher volume rather than when driving 5 channels.

Steven, you should also read up on the Intellivolume feature in the Onkyo receivers, where the receiver can adjust for volume differences for different inputs. I'm not sure if you are using that feature or not.

4. RandyRush

RandyRush Stunt Coordinator

Could someone provide a little info on the "intellivolume" feature mentioned above? I cannot find anything on it in my manual (797) or on Onkyo's website.

5. parin_patel

This is straight from page 31 in my Manual for the Onkyo 595:
    "When switching input sources, you may find that the output level for different components or input sources connected to the TX-DS595 is different even though the main volume setting is the same. Under normal circumstances, you would then have to change the volume setting each time you change the input source. This IntelliVolume allows you to preset a volume level for each input source seperately so that when you switch from one input source to another, the TX-DS595 adjusts the volume accordingly so that the resulting volume stays the same."
    It then proceeds to show you the steps involved in changing the settings.
    I'm not sure why you could not find it in the manual for the 797, but it is one of the features advertised on this page on Crutchfield's site.
    Anyway, I am still waiting for my speakers (JBL S312/S36/S-center) to arrive, and haven't had a chance to test out my receiver. I'll let you guys know how it works out once my speakers arrive.

6. parin_patel

Randy,
    After looking around in the manual for the 797 on Onkyo's site, I found the same reference for IntelliVolume on Page 36. It's pretty much the same feature as the one on the 595. Anyway you can download the manual right here.