Is Sharp 55RWP5H 55" WS HDTV Any Good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Chick, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Ben Chick

Ben Chick Agent

Does anyone own this TV? What do you think of it? Is $2300 + tax too much? I have $800 in gift certificates for one store, so I really can't shop around. It sounds like a great bargain WS TV with lots of great features. Is an extended service contract a waste of money?

2. Steven Tillman

Steven Tillman Auditioning

I've owned this set since May of this year, and I really like it.

I'm running regular cable, a VCR, and two DVD players into it. I have a prog scan DVD via component cables, and a interlaced player via component cables.

$2300 is an EXCELLENT price for the 5H model! I paid around 3 for mine. I'd buy at that price in a heart beat.

There is a 4H model available at the chain stores at the lower price point, but the warranty isn't as good and it may not have as many features.

As for the extended service plan...they are a huge money maker for the dealers. I think the 5H has a 2 year warranty...that's good enough for me.

3. Ben Chick

Ben Chick Agent

Well the few user comments I found convinced me that this is a good set to buy. I got the 4H model at Best Buy. From what I can tell, the only difference is that it does not have the 15-pin VGA connector like the 5H model. I won't actually get the set until this coming sunday and I am looking sooo forward to it. I guess I will be the guinea pig on this model since I had a hard time finding out anything people said about it. The picture looked great in the store, albeit it could have used a professional tuning, but we're talking about Best Buy where nothing is calibrated. I'll give my review after I receive and set it up. I'm so excited! [​IMG]
    Oh.. I passed on the $299 extended service contract. I did not feel comfortable dealing with the clerk because he got argumentative with me when I profusely denied adding this option. My previous TV had an extended service contract. When I went to use it when the S-vid jack broke it took alot of calls to get any service, then 30 days in the shop... returned NOT fixed and then another 30 days in the shop. 60 days without a TV is unacceptable to me. I wasn't making the same mistake twice. I'll take my chances. I'd of bought someplace else if I didn't have that wad of Best Buy gift certificates buying a hole in my wallet. Anyway I hope I did the right thing not picking up the service contract. The clerk was pretty pissed after spending 30 minutes scanning in all those gift cards. He launched a bunch of snide comments to his coworkers while he was scanning them in, but little did he know I heard every one of them. I miss powerdime.com where I got those certificates over a year ago.
    Anyway after evaluating the 55RWP4H, I'll get some opinions up.

4. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Ben,
    I hope you did the right thing too.....
    On high price ticket items such as HDTV's, I would definately get the extended warranty......One call or service repair would pay for it....And often, it takes more than one visit to get things right (Ive had to use mine).
    If anything goes bad on your set after the manufacturer's warranty (which I wouldn't bet against), don't be surprised if you need to shell out 300-500 bucks to get it fixed....
    And if it's a bad CRT.....You might as well buy a new set [​IMG] It'd be cheaper and less of a headache to deal with...
    See if you can get the warranty from a 3rd party like GE or Sears, as they are normally much cheaper for the same coverage..
    Good luck,
    -Ryan Dinan