Is SETI @HOME down?..I can't connect to the side or send finished WU.=(

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_Gomez, Mar 17, 2002.

1. any one else have this problem?[​IMG]

2. Steve Deacon

Steve Deacon Stunt Coordinator

It's probably not down, just swamped with users. They went through a very bad patch last month when their bandwidth was capped because it was causing problems for the rest of the campus. They now have more bandwidth sorted out, but it's still difficult to connect at certain times of day. Here in the UK, I find it's best between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m.

3. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Yeah its been down for the past two days. I keep 10 WU in my cache. That should hold me for the weekend. [​IMG]

4. how do you cache more than 1?

5. James St

I use SETI Driver to process my WU. As soon as one completes the next one starts. You can cache as many as you like.

6. thanks. i'll get it setup...but it does me no good right now. Since I cannot connect, I can't get other WU to process while the system is down[​IMG]

7. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Or try SetiHide, it's a better Caching Program.

I'm in the process of switching from SetiDriver to SetiHide, I can't get the initial download (Just launching the client by itself first) required for SetiHide to work. And my SetiDriver-Based installation (4 in Cache) is halfway through it's 4th unit and can't send the other 3... So if it's not sorted by 8pm tonight I'll be dead in the water!

8. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    It's not just the workunits link that's down, their Web site is also kaput! No response whatsoever. Did someone try to steal the old copper wiring again? That's what killed SETI the last time they were down for an extended period of time.

9. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

They have been down all weekend long. I was preparing to announce the HTF team returning its 200,000 work unit this weekend. As of Friday we stood at 199,990+. I attempted to check our totals Saturday evening to no avail. My home computer has run through its cache and the ones at work have to be close by now.

These server/bandwidth problems are really getting old. I predict SETI is going to come to a crawl if they don't eliviate the problems in the near future.

10. James St

The SETI site is up again but the server for sending WU is still down.[​IMG]

11. James St

I managed to send a few results and cache 2 new WU but thats about it. I'll try again tonight to send the remaining WU.

12. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Is it down again? I am having problems connecting. Does anyone else have connection issues now?

13. Dennis Reno

I checked the couple machines I use and all seem to be OK. How long have you been unable to connect?

14. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    All day yesterday and today. But, its a new install and I have never tried to connect with this PC before. It might be the way the dial up is setup. Its my work laptop.

15. MickeS

MickeS Producer

It's working for me

16. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Thanks, I fiured out that it was my connection. I'm kind of bummed because this means that I really wont be able to effectively run it on my work computer (not that I'm supposed to anyway) but I was trying to get my stats back up since I am upgrading my home PC, and wanted to get it running on a couple machines.

17. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Maybe you can use SETI Driver and just do a batch upload of work units every once in a while and be off-line all other times.

18. Dennis Reno

What exactly is the problem at work Charles? If it is a lack of a constant connection, Micke's solution works well. I used that on one PC for several years at my old office. Depending on the speed of the machine batch several days worth of work units and call in after those units are completed.

19. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Mike, I am using SETI driver now that I got a connection.

Dennis, I work for a company where about 90%+ of the users connect remotely from laptops. We have a national network of local dail-in numbers and when you dail in, you connect via PPP. So, while interent browsers can adapt apperently SETI has a problem getting out over TCP/IP with this type of connection. However, we also have a VPN, so if I'm at a place where I can get on the VPN, everything works fine.

BTW, my only concern is, how often do I have to upload my completed units? ie how long before the SETI server figures the data is MIA and sends it out to another processor, in which case I wont get credit for the unit when I eventually turn it in.