What's new

is selectable control dead? (1 Viewer)

david*mt

Second Unit
The reason I am asking is because I am considering buying the Samsung TXN3075 which unfortunately lacks a DVI input. I know that I will be fine for the next year or so, but when HDTV does start to become more available could certain programs be blocked out if I am using a component input instead of a DVI? I know that HD-DVD may require a DVI but I hope that I could still use my TV for HDTV viewing. I did hear from someone on another forum that selectable control was almost dead but I don't think there has been an official ruling on it yet. The reason that I am asking is because I really want to get an HDTV right now and don't want my TV become obsolete in a few years because it doesn't have a DVI. I keep getting cold feet because of all the DVI talk and its importance. It will probably be about 4 years before I will buy another TV so HD-DVD really isn't an issue becuase I don't think it will be out until 2007-2008. I'd like to hear honest opinions please.

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I'm not positive on this, but I don't believe programs will be blocked entirely. I think they will be downverted.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I'm believe pre-recorded Blu-Ray will come out by Fall of 2004 and possibly sooner. As for downresolution of High Definition broadcast material and non-PPV channels I believe is unlikely. If downresolution is ever used it will probably be for High Definiton PPV channels only. Unfortunately the HDTV cable agreement that specifies that downresolution can't be done has not been passed by the FCC. The FCC has no problem pushing broadcasters and HDTV manufacturers but when it comes to the cable industry they are pretty weak. A standard HDTV cable connection should have been a priority for the FCC since 1997 but unfortunately when it comes to cable companies the FCC has never been a good regulator. Hopefully within the next 3 months the FCC will either pass the HDTV cable agreement or let congress vote on it. Personally I recommend getting a HDTV with a DVI-HDCP connection. The fact that EVERY major TV manufacturer is including them in this year's models is a good indication that will soon be mainstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks