Is satellite a viable alternative to DSL/Cable for online gaming yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James D S, Nov 21, 2002.

1. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

I ask because I live in the boonies, outside Austin, and we are not scheduled to receive DSL service until next year. Dammit, I can't wait that long! There is XBox Live a'going on!
    Have latency issues been addressed or is that going to be a fact of life with data comm via the airwaves indefinately?
    Or do I just sit on my thumb and wait? [​IMG]

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Downloads are respectable, but does the satellite service in your area require you to plug in a modem to the phone line for uploads?

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

4. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

No gaming with satellite connection. Latency is the culprit and I can't ever seeing that fixed.

A viable alternative for you, maybe is wireless internet? That is what I have as I live outside of my town where DSL doesn't reach and cable is cable, old.

Wireless can go a long ways and the connection is very fast for the most part. My xbox connection speed is 350up, 350down, with a 40ms latency. Not so bad eh? It all uses 802.11 standards and is comparably priced to cable and dsl.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, with Satellite you're introducing a 250ms lag at the least, probably more. Considering that really happy ping times are around 60-80ms.......

6. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Well crap.
    Guess I'm just going to have to sit idly by and live, or is it Live!, vicariously through you guys. [​IMG]