What's new

Is SACD for 2 channel? I'm confused. (1 Viewer)

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
I'm getting confused with DVD Audio and Super Audio CD. I want to try out SACD but don't know if I need to upgrade my equipment or not. Currently I'm running all my SOURCE unit thru NAD C352 which is a STEREO Integrated Amplifier. I don't planning on changing my system to multiChannel. Please let me know if SACD is for 2 channel or not, thanks.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Every SACD always has a dedicated two-channel stereo/mono track at the fullest possible resolution. No mixdowns. No lower-res cheapies. No exceptions. You're good to go.

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
But do they all have more then two channels? I have the Michael Jackson Thriller SACD and while sounding alot better then the regular cd is only coming out of the front stereo and sub.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Orlando, do you have a multi channel system and a SACD Player??

Tim I would definetely consider upgrading your equipment if you wanna get the FULL effect!! :)

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Orlando, all SACD have 2 channels. Some SACDs also have a 5.1 mix. You will have to look at the packaging to see which SACD has what

Single Layer Stereo: SACD Stereo Only
Single Layer Stereo/Multichannel: SACD Stereo + SACD 5.1
Hybrid Stereo: Redbook CD stereo + SACD Stereo
Hybrid Stereo/Multichannel: Redbook CD stereo + SACD Stereo + SACD 5.1

Single layer SACDs came out in the early days and will only play on SACD/universal players. Lately most SACDs have been hybrid. Sometimes it isnt readily apparent whether a disc s hybrid, just stereo or multichannel. http://www.sa-cd.net/ has a listing with proper notation

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. I have a 7.1 that works fine with everything else.

After being told what to look for it now all makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks